Reedy Creek Improvement District long-term land use meeting 2023

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I think you’re right.

The land use regs were not, for whatever reason, updated over the last dozen years. And they decided that they should do it now, with this Board of Supervisors.

They get updated every 10 years, and the process had planned to be started in 2019 to be ready for 2020 when the old plan "expired". I think people are reading to much into this. It might be as simple as RCID wanting to get all their ducks in a row so someone can't point to them and say they weren't doing their job.

lentesta

Premium Member
Original Poster
They get updated every 10 years, and the process had planned to be started in 2019 to be ready for 2020 when the old plan "expired". I think people are reading to much into this. It might be as simple as RCID wanting to get all their ducks in a row so someone can't point to them and say they weren't doing their job.

Doesn't the land use approval continue on, when the 2020 plan was carried forward to 2032? Because this land use request doesn't have an expiration date.

Let's say that this land use approval for parks is just to cover what was in the 2020 plan. Why would they also ask for hotel rooms? Presumably those rooms were already built.

JoeCamel

Like painting the walls before you sell the house?

lazyboy97o

I have to ask: Is all this for show? I mean, the RCID as currently constituted is repealed on 6/1/23. Don't misunderstand, there will continue to be a special district after what comes out of the Florida Legislative Session. But the RCID as it exists today will no longer exist.
This is not a given. There is still a law on the books saying the dissolution does not apply to the Reedy Creek Improvement District. The states repeated acknowledgement of the District also calls into question whether it meets the very broad criteria stated in the dissolution legislation. Then there are the many other issues that would at a minimum stay the dissolution of the District. Just because there is an intent to dissolve the District doesn’t mean they stop doing their job that they are still required to do now.

All of a sudden we see proposals for a new theme park and two water parks, among things just before we see proposed bills for the replacement special district.
This is not what happened. There were no proposals for actual development. This is land use planning and is aligned with long established land use planning work adopted by the District over a decade ago.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Doesn't the land use approval continue on, when the 2020 plan was carried forward to 2032? Because this land use request doesn't have an expiration date.

Let's say that this land use approval for parks is just to cover what was in the 2020 plan. Why would they also ask for hotel rooms? Presumably those rooms were already built.

But this isn't land use approval. Think of it this way, you get married and you and your wife meet with an architect to design you a house. He asks you, in ten years, how many kids do you think you will have, how many pets, what kind of hobbies, etc. He then designs you a house to accommodate that. So if you told him 2 kids, he designs a house for 2 kids. You could have fewer, you could have more, but the house probably won't work out well if you have more.

The difference with hotel rooms, is that with parks, none were added, so they can just carry the numbers forward. As for hotel rooms, the 2020 plan had a starting count of 28267 keys, and planned for 11300 more brining it to 39567. Your site says there are currently 36555 rooms so they did not build up to the max of the 2020 plan. It's a difference of about 3000 rooms so they may stick with that number or up it assuming the plan would still accommodate that.

Last edited:

Haymarket

Since it’s Schmursday, will the next Disney Dish delve into 1) what would constitute a “minor theme park” for these purposes, and 2) in the absence of further context and information, which current WDW parks might constitute a “minor theme park”?
Not sure if this was addressed, but in the 2020 Comprehensive Plan from 2010, the two water parks and ESPN Wide World of Sports are considered the current "minor" theme parks. See, e.g., page 7B-1:
The District contains four major theme parks (Magic Kingdom, EPCOT Center, Disney's Hollywood Studios, and Disney's Animal Kingdom) and three minor theme parks (Typhoon Lagoon, Blizzard Beach, and Disney's Wide World of Sports), several entertainment-oriented shopping areas, 27 hotel/resort and interval ownership properties, 81 holes of golf, an auto speedway, and a campground.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
"Like a water park" sounds like they have a boutique experience in mind. I doubt they'd go the SeaWorld Discovery Cove route exactly, but that might be more in line with what they have in mind.
They have nothing in mind…it’s just a required false promises Doc for appearances. I’m more convinced than ever you will never see another Disney park built in Orlando again today than ever…and I was fully convinced 20 years ago.
I'd guess WWOS -- back in the 90s/early 2000s they advertised (or at least pushed it to guests) as something to go do and it had sports-related activities like attempting to kick field goals from different distances (no idea if it still offers this but they certainly don't suggest it's something for regular guests to visit any more). I think the Disney bus system even went there regularly, although I'm not positive about that.
Correct…in my day, wide world was a gated ticket…plus feature.

It obviously didn’t take off

pdude81

I was told by someone in the room when WWoS was being built that "it was intended to be, and green lit by Michael [Eisner] to be, the 5th gate". Never quite fulfilled its promises though, particularly since it never had year-round professional events or teams.
It's a nice flat space that wouldn't take forever to clear and let the ground settle, though. I think it's still valuable in it's current form to draw large groups to the parks for competitions, but I didn't see any other larger spaces that could be used to build a major park in the old map.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It's a nice flat space that wouldn't take forever to clear and let the ground settle, though. I think it's still valuable in it's current form to draw large groups to the parks for competitions, but I didn't see any other larger spaces that could be used to build a major park in the old map.

Not sure if Disney would ever get rid of it, but it is an appealing piece of land for a new park, especially since most of the land around it is also suitable for construction. If they wanted to re-locate it, most of the fields could easily be build on land that is only marginally suitable for construction.

1673543889416.png

Goofyernmost

I don't know anything about that, but it absolutely had a collection of activities in the early years that goes along with the idea it was intended to be an actual destination for resort guests instead of simply a collection of sports venues.

If they'd built the NBA Experience in the late 90s, I think they'd have put it at WWoS.
I do remember in 2001, I went with my daughter, her husband and her two step children to WDW. We went for a day to WWoS where the kids got to try out playing tennis, basketball and baseball with the staff. We also got a chance to tour the baseball stadium were the Atlanta Braves did spring training, at the time. I can hardly remember what I spent yesterday so I don't really remember if it cost us anything or not. I only went that one time.

Comped

That statement literally meant that Wide World of Sports was supposed to be considered the 5th gate. More so than it could be developed into a more conventional park.

Goofyernmost

To close to the highway. It would be like Disneyland.

Just because you don't see any other larger space doesn't mean it can't all of a sudden be created. Maybe they could take that roadside carnival out of DAK and actually put it roadside where WWoS is now? Call it Mini-WDW less than wealthy guests. Built for middle americans the drove thousands of miles but can't get into a major park because they don't have a reservation. Charge them half of what it costs to get entrance to the other parks and that should make them happy. All they would need is the stuff from DAK, a couple extra spinners and a ferris wheel and WWoS would be history,

Last edited:

pdude81

That statement literally meant that Wide World of Sports was supposed to be considered the 5th gate. More so than it could be developed into a more conventional park.
I understood what you wrote, but I wouldn't consider the sports version of Innoventions as a 5th gate. They would have had to go deeper there for people to think of it as more compelling than a water park. My comment is meant to say that I think this is their most compelling property if they wanted to truly build another park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom