News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

lazyboy97o

So do you think there is any significance to these permits being filed by Walt Disney instead of CFTOD?
At a minimum it seems like a way to avoid providing funds where possible. It also seems like it could be evidence of shenanigans being played with the permitting process.

The criteria under which a governmental body can seize land via eminent domain is codified in Florida statute. And THAT includes utilities. The Board would have to prove the utility operator isn't able provide services to its customers.

IIRC, the RCES power plant provides ~ 25% of the property's electricity, with the rest provided by Duke and perhaps FPL. Origis Energy constructed the huge solar farm along 429. That site alone is capable of powering 2 of the parks.
The utilities are already owned by the District. Reedy Creek Energy Services is just the contracted operator.

Isamar

Was GRU unable to provide utility services to its residents? The statute addresses that issue.

Sorry, I was just pointing out that sometimes governments do things that are clearly contrary to statute, such as ignoring the residency requirements of Board members in the Gainesville example (I take no position at all on the statute itself, or the operation of the utility before or after the statute.)

DCBaker

Premium Member
The full Board of Supervisors meeting packet has been released.

In the packet is this letter from Stephanie Kopelousos as the board seeks approval of her Employment Agreement to become District Administrator. The packet also contains her resume.

March 18, 2024

Central Florida Tourism Oversight District Board of Supervisors & District Administrator Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

1900 Hotel Plaza Boulevard
Lake Buena Vista, FL 32830

Dear Central Florida Tourism Oversight District Board of Supervisors & District Administrator:

I am writing to you in response to the Governor’s recommendation of me for the District Administrator within the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District (CFTOD). I am enthusiastic about the prospect of serving in that role. My extensive background in executive county management, strategic planning, and infrastructure development has prepared me well for this role. I am eager to leverage my experience to support the district's ongoing success and growth.

Since the appointment of each of you to the District, I have been closely following the positive transformations within the CFTOD spurred by Governor DeSantis's decisive actions. In 2023, Governor DeSantis signed House Bill 9-B, catalyzing a comprehensive review of the district's operations. This led to the identification of areas for improvement, highlighting a new era of accountability and transparency. The audit revealed opportunities to enhance governance practices, particularly in improving safety inspections, including oversight of the Monorail. With the implementation of initiatives like the Buy Local Now program, aimed at fostering local businesses and reducing the tax burden, the district is poised for positive development and growth. I am inspired by the Board of Supervisors and Governor DeSantis's commitment to excellence and integrity; and I am eager to contribute to the ongoing progress and success of CFTOD.

My tenure as the County Manager for the Clay County Board of County Commissioners equipped me with invaluable experience in overseeing essential services, managing budgets, and fostering strategic initiatives to meet the needs of residents. My strategic approach to resource allocation and my experience in serving nearly 200,000 residents and businesses, as well as coordinating with vendors, suppliers, and contractors, would be instrumental in ensuring the district's infrastructure meets the highest standards of safety and functionality to accommodate the influx of visitors.

Furthermore, my background as the Secretary of Transportation for the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) uniquely positions me to address the district's transportation needs. I successfully negotiated acquisitions, secured federal funds for infrastructure projects, and implemented policies to improve transportation accessibility and efficiency. Leveraging my expertise, I am committed to enhancing transportation networks to facilitate seamless travel experiences for visitors while prioritizing safety and sustainability.

In addition to my infrastructure management experience, my emergency response planning and environmental stewardship leadership align with the district's priorities. I understand the importance of supporting our firefighters and emergency response teams while maintaining a rapid response time for fire and EMS services to ensure the safety of the district.

I am particularly impressed by the district's dedication to maintaining high standards of public services for its visitors, which aligns closely with my values of transparency and accountability. With my proven track record of effective leadership, strategic vision, and collaborative decision-making, I can support the district's objectives and enhance its reputation as a premier tourism destination.

Thank you for considering my application. I am eager to discuss how my qualifications and experiences align with the specific needs and goals of the CFTOD. I am enthusiastic about the opportunity to contribute to the district's success and would welcome the chance to discuss further how I can serve.

Sincerely,
Stephanie Kopelousos

Isamar

The full Board of Supervisors meeting packet has been released.

In the packet is this letter from Stephanie Kopelousos as the board seeks approval of her Employment Agreement to become District Administrator. The packet also contains her resume.

It doesn't, however, contain a copy of the Employment Agreement they're being asked to approve.

On the other hand, there's nothing in the packet to suggest a broader search for candidates, so at least there's kind of some transparency about the decision being based solely on the governor's "recommendation"?

JoeCamel

It doesn't, however, contain a copy of the Employment Agreement they're being asked to approve.

On the other hand, there's nothing in the packet to suggest a broader search for candidates, so at least there's kind of some transparency about the decision being based solely on the governor's "recommendation"?
The Employment Agreement would not be public record

JoeCamel

I don't know what the general practice would be in this situation, but they did include the Employment Agreements for Classe and Gilzean in the May 10/23 Packet.
I guess I should have said they can with hold the employment specifics. That is what I think I know but I could be mistaken.

Surferboy567

DCBaker

Premium Member
Ron DeSantis has appointed Craig Mateer to the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District.

GJosebJWYAAperO.png

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom