News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Glen Gilzean tells the Orlando Sentinel he's awaiting "direction" from the CFTOD on his future at the district.

Article at the link below.

I find it interesting that the former chair of the Commission on Ethics is "awaiting direction" from the CFTOD Board. Most would resign, rather than hedge their bets, to demonstrate a commitment to the new important role and avoid ANY appearance of a conflict. At the very least, publicly announce an UNPAID leave of absence.

But then he failed to comprehend, as Chair of the Commission, he couldn't serve in that role while also serving as administrator for CFTOD.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Clearing the rosters of those *assumed* to be ineligible to vote can be a high priority in some districts...

That probably the most important aspect of the supervisor's function...maintaining the database of registered voters for the county.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Gilzean stays mum as he starts Orange elections chief job

This guy is leaving one public, taxpayer-funded office for another public, taxpayer-funded office and he can't even be bothered to give a simple "yes" or "no" answer the most basic of questions.

Unfortunately, that's not uncommon.

However, the governor's appointment & legal staff should be explaining any potential conflicts to a prospective candidate for appointment to an important position, even if temporary.

Teleostei35

I don't know the answer to that. His appointment as Supervisor of Elections lasts until the person who is elected during the November election takes office in January 2025.

Edited to add - here's Glen Gilzean's announcement on Facebook.

"During this transition, rest assured that my commitment remains unwavering. I'll be working closely with the Board of Supervisors to ensure a seamless shift while upholding our standards of excellence. I trust in Paula J. Hoisington's leadership as Acting District Administrator during my unavailability."

I don't know the answer to that. His appointment as Supervisor of Elections lasts until the person who is elected during the November election takes office in January 2025.

Edited to add - here's Glen Gilzean's announcement on Facebook.

"During this transition, rest assured that my commitment remains unwavering. I'll be working closely with the Board of Supervisors to ensure a seamless shift while upholding our standards of excellence. I trust in Paula J. Hoisington's leadership as Acting District Administrator during my unavailability."

Just when things were settling down, the roller coaster is going back up another hill. Hang in there District employees, the ride is going to be fun in the end.

LAKid53

Premium Member
In an article in today's Orlando Sentinel, Gilzean said he plans on continuing both jobs during the transition. He said that elections office attorney Nick Shannin advised that the statute against dual-office holding doesn't apply to him and that he would be able to temporarily "continue to serve in both capacities within the confines of the law.”

Figgy1

In an article in today's Orlando Sentinel, Gilzean said he plans on continuing both jobs during the transition. He said that elections office attorney Nick Shannin advised that the statute against dual-office holding doesn't apply to him and that he would be able to temporarily "continue to serve in both capacities within the confines of the law.”
Who appointed Shanin? or is it an elected posistion?

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member

Who appointed Shanin? or is it an elected posistion?

Something smells like 💩.

The only Nick Shannin licensed to practice law in Florida has a private practice, and isn't in the elections office (unless as a volunteer?)

Screenshot 2024-03-09 at 9.29.13 AM.png

LAKid53

Premium Member
Something smells like 💩.

The only Nick Shannin licensed to practice law in Florida has a private practice, and isn't in the elections office (unless as a volunteer?)

View attachment 772161

Wasn't clear by "elections office" if he meant the supervisor's office or the state division of elections. Can't see a staff listing on the OCSE website.

When I worked for the Division of Elections, we didn't have in-house counsel. We used either the AG's office or the Secretary of State's legal counsel.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Wasn't clear by "elections office" if he meant the supervisor's office or the state division of elections. Can't see a staff listing on the OCSE website.

When I worked for the Division of Elections, we didn't have in-house counsel. We used either the AG's office or the Secretary of State's legal counsel.

They'd still appear in the FL Bar's website - and the search results are for all attorneys in Florida with the last name Shannin.

Figgy1

Something smells like 💩.

View attachment 772161
Private hired gun? If so who paid?
Possibly as bad as fish left in the Florida sun for a month

LAKid53

Premium Member
This seems very odd to me. Is there any way to know who came up with this brilliant idea?

Because small communities, like Sopchoppy (yes, that's the name of the town in the FL Panhandle) don't have the need to have an attorney on staff. So they'd either have a local attorney or retainer or use the county attorney for Wakulla County, provided Wakulla had an in-house attorney.

Figgy1

Because small communities, like Sopchoppy (yes, that's the name of the town in the FL Panhandle) don't have the need to have an attorney on staff. So they'd either have a local attorney or retainer or use the county attorney for Wakulla County, provided Wakulla had an in-house attorney.
but wouldn't Orange Co have in staff?
Also I can't imagine somebody running elections for Orange County would have much time do anything else, much less another full time job, let alone do either properly

LAKid53

Premium Member
but wouldn't Orange Co have in staff?
Also I can't imagine somebody running elections for Orange County would have much time do anything else, much less another full time job, let alone do either properly

Orange County does, according to the County's website. Who that is, have no clue as no names are listed. However, according to the website, it represents the Orange County mayor, commission members, county administrator and county departments. The supervisor of elections isn't a department of Orange County.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom