News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
A little unclear if he will be permanently gone from CFTOD. The "during my unavailability" seems to suggest he is temporarily stepping aside for the new job.

Section 112.313(7)(a)(1) may prohibit dual employment if a conflict of interest arises.

In reality, he cannot do both. The supervisor's job is a demanding one, especially in an election year. He's now a constitutional officer. And he's got absolutely no experience running elections in one of the state's largest counties.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I wonder how this will effect the general election in Florida this year?

Someone with absolutely no experience running elections, no knowledge of the election laws of this state, and overseeing them in the 5th largest county? Let's hope he's smart enough to listen to staff.

I know first hand how how things can go south when an inexperienced (and somewhat arrogant) supervisor oversees their first election.

pdude81

This is really confusing to me. This would have to be less pay than he was getting from CFTOD, and it shouldn't influence the outcome of any elections.

Would this stop him from having to be deposed in his official capacity for CFTOD? If not, the only reason I could see for this is that the Governor wants to put someone else in that CFTOD position.

I know that technically the board would hire for that position, but I've followed this long enough to have a strong suspicion of how the sausage is made.

LAKid53

Premium Member
This is really confusing to me. This would have to be less pay than he was getting from CFTOD, and it shouldn't influence the outcome of any elections.

Would this stop him from having to be deposed in his official capacity for CFTOD? If not, the only reason I could see for this is that the Governor wants to put someone else in that CFTOD position.

I know that technically the board would hire for that position, but I've followed this long enough to have a strong suspicion of how the sausage is made.

One can be deposed for positions or offices previously held. I was, a year AFTER I retired.

Edit: the supervisor does have a great deal of influence on HOW an election in a county is run. Application & interpretation of Florida's election laws. Hiring and training of staff, especially poll workers. Working with the county commission in the assigning of precincts, maintaining the map of said precincts and finding polling locations in the precincts. Insuring sufficient voting machines are available county wide and are properly maintained.

Last edited:

JohnD

What I'm reading from these comments is, even if the supervisor is a paid employee and not an appointed member of the board, to avoid the appearance of impropriety, he should resign from his position.

pdude81

Guess it's good I'm still registered in another county.

I remember a new supervisor decided to completely redo everything. That first election was chaos when polling places didn't open on time and machines broke down.
This is a point I hadn't really considered. If there is chaos in Orange county, that could affect statewide and national elections even if it doesn't move the needle much locally.

As for the deposition, I assumed he'd still have to do it but I'm struggling to understand why Gilzean himself would take this appointment to a lower paying, temporary position.

LAKid53

Premium Member
What I'm reading from these comments is, even if the supervisor is a paid employee and not an appointed member of the board, to avoid the appearance of impropriety, he should resign from his position.

The section of Florida Statutes I cited specifically addresses a public officer, which the supervisor is, either working for or doing business (contracting) with a special taxing district like CFTOD. While not prohibited per se, any conduct of said officer that "frustrates the intent" of that section is deemed a conflict and prohibited.

LAKid53

Premium Member
This is a point I hadn't really considered. If there is chaos in Orange county, that could affect statewide and national elections even if it doesn't move the needle much locally.

As for the deposition, I assumed he'd still have to do it but I'm struggling to understand why Gilzean himself would take this appointment to a lower paying, temporary position.

It's a more powerful position than county administrator for a special district.

mmascari

There are millions of ways to influence the outcome of an election unrelated to the literal counting of votes. The person in charge of running the election can definitely impact the result with how it's run. The easiest way is by impacting how easy or hard it is to vote.

He should resign or be fired because he's working a second job and will not be able to work both jobs. One presumes the CFTOD Administrator job is a roughly 9-5 job 5 days a week, and that the election supervisor job is also 9-5 and 5 days a week. Both are certainly 40 hour work week jobs, even if you flex the working hours.

My math says there's 168 hours in a week. If you sleep for 35 and eat for 14, that leaves 119. You could technically work 80 of those, leaving 39 left over for everything else. Is that what anyone is expecting here?

If the Election Supervisor is phoning it in and not getting things done, I would expect that to be a local scandal. If the CFTOD Administrator is phoning it in and not getting things done, the CFTOD board should fire them.

All of that is independent of any conflict of interest requirements either job may have. They don't really sound like two jobs a person could hold at the same time.

LAKid53

Premium Member
There are millions of ways to influence the outcome of an election unrelated to the literal counting of votes. The person in charge of running the election can definitely impact the result with how it's run. The easiest way is by impacting how easy or hard it is to vote.

He should resign or be fired because he's working a second job and will not be able to work both jobs. One presumes the CFTOD Administrator job is a roughly 9-5 job 5 days a week, and that the election supervisor job is also 9-5 and 5 days a week. Both are certainly 40 hour work week jobs, even if you flex the working hours.

My math says there's 168 hours in a week. If you sleep for 35 and eat for 14, that leaves 119. You could technically work 80 of those, leaving 39 left over for everything else. Is that what anyone is expecting here?

If the Election Supervisor is phoning it in and not getting things done, I would expect that to be a local scandal. If the CFTOD Administrator is phoning it in and not getting things done, the CFTOD board should fire them.

All of that is independent of any conflict of interest requirements either job may have. They don't really sound like two jobs a person could hold at the same time.

The supervisor of elections job is more than 9 to 5, 5 days a week, trust me.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom