News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

pdude81

I think many confuse republican with Republican. A comparable example is catholic with Catholic. One is the church body as a whole. The other is a denomination. So, in this case, one is a form of government. The other is a political party. When DeSantis says "republican form of government", he's purposely using the small "r" version. You shouldn't need to speak legal-ease to understand this.
I think that people tend to use common phrases and terminology at a podium. I don't assume Mr. DeSantis is carefully parsing his words here and I don't think it's reasonable to assume he is. My take is that it's either a slip up meaning to say republic or a Freudian slip as to his governing philosophy.

SoFloMagic

I think many confuse republican with Republican. A comparable example is catholic with Catholic. One is the church body as a whole. The other is a denomination. So, in this case, one is a form of government. The other is a political party. When DeSantis says "republican form of government", he's purposely using the small "r" version. You shouldn't need to speak legal-ease to understand this.
Yes, but I think it's also a bit of a double meaning. Source: his behavior the last two
years

sblank

Gilzean stays mum as he starts Orange elections chief job
Glen Gilzean started his job as Orange County elections supervisor on Tuesday with a full day of staff meetings, stepping into a role overseeing voting in one of Florida’s most Democratic counties.

Gilzean, a close ally of Gov. Ron DeSantis, declined to take questions from a reporter who went to the elections office Tuesday morning seeking to meet him.

“The supervisor’s schedule is jam-packed,” said D’Anne Mica, a spokeswoman for the elections office.
It remained unclear Tuesday whether Gilzean has or intends to resign from the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District or take a leave of absence. A district spokesman and its board chairman have not answered the question. Mica also did not provide an answer. Gilzean has not returned an email or text message from the Orlando Sentinel.
This guy is leaving one public, taxpayer-funded office for another public, taxpayer-funded office and he can't even be bothered to give a simple "yes" or "no" answer the most basic of questions.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Glen Gilzean tells the Orlando Sentinel he's awaiting "direction" from the CFTOD on his future at the district.

Newly minted Orange County Elections Supervisor Glen Gilzean says he’s “laser-focused” on running secure elections but isn’t saying whether he intends to quit his job with the Disney oversight district or plot a new course in Central Florida politics.

In an email, Gilzean said he is awaiting “direction” from the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District’s board on his future there. He also isn’t revealing whether he intends to run for elections supervisor in November.

“Right now, my focus is being the most effective supervisor of elections I can be while serving the citizens of Orange County, and ensuring the current elections are secure and seamless while providing the utmost transparency to the public,” he said. “As for CFTOD, I’ve informed the chair and am awaiting direction from the board during this time to ensure the transition is seamless. I know the district is in competent hands.”

DeSantis appointed Gilzean, a Republican political ally, as Orange elections chief on Monday, filling a vacancy created when longtime Democratic supervisor Bill Cowles retired in January.

Gilzean’s appointment will be in effect until the election winner in November takes office in January 2025.

The DeSantis-appointed tourism oversight board hired Gilzean in May as its administrator, a post that pays $400,000 a year. The elections supervisor position pays $205,000.

Tourism oversight officials have not responded to questions about whether Gilzean has submitted a letter of resignation or requested a leave of absence.

In a Facebook post, Gilzean wrote that Paula Hoisington, deputy district administrator, will serve as acting district administrator at the tourism oversight district during his “unavailability.”

Gilzean isn’t saying whether he’ll run for elections supervisor. He’ll face a tough political path in Democratic-friendly Orange County. President Joe Biden won the county with 61% of the vote in 2020.

“Right now I’m laser-focused on fulfilling the duties of the supervisor of elections, getting through the current election, and making sure I serve the voters of Orange County effectively and efficiently,” Gilzean said.

Article at the link below.

Last edited:

Brian

Senator Stewart has written to Governor DeSantis requesting that he appoint a replacement for Gilzean from Orange County:

Dear Governor DeSantis,

Your recent appointment of Glen Gilzean to the position of Orange County Supervisor of Elections has created a vacancy at the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District. Over the past few months I have encouraged the appointment of a central Florida elected to one of the positions of the CFTOD board. It is critical that an elected official from Orange County, who understands local government and creating a balanced budget, is appointed to the CFTOD board.

Unlike other special districts created in the state, the CFTOD board lacks any elected representation of the residents or taxpayers. Only one of the five appointed Board Members is from Orange County and the others reside in Tampa, Sarasota and Clearwater. The morale of district employees has been crushed leading over 40 employees in key leadership positions and with institutional knowledge to resign or retire after the current administration took over.

It is my belief that by appointing an elected official from Orange County to the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District, the board can be more effective in understanding and meeting the local needs of those impacted by its decisions in central Florida.

Sincerely,

Senator Linda Stewart

Stripes

Premium Member
Senator Stewart has written to Governor DeSantis requesting that he appoint a replacement for Gilzean from Orange County:

Stewart has requested that DeSantis appoint an elected representative from Orange County to the CFTOD board, not to fill the District Administrator vacancy left by Gilzean’s (likely temporary) absence.

The letter is more about publicly slamming the governing structure of the district and the current board’s leadership than anything else.

Brian

Stewart has requested that DeSantis appoint an elected representative from Orange County to the CFTOD board, not to fill the District Administrator vacancy left by Gilzean’s (likely temporary) absence.

The letter is more about publicly slamming the governing structure of the district and the current board’s leadership than anything else.
There is no vacancy on the board though.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Dear Senator Steward,

"Your recent appointment of Glen Gilzean to the position of Orange County Supervisor of Elections has created a vacancy at the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District"

No it hasn't. The dude was an employee - not a board member. Did you check the basics before sending this?

Signed
Common Sense

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
A little unclear if he will be permanently gone from CFTOD. The "during my unavailability" seems to suggest he is temporarily stepping aside for the new job.

Section 112.313(7)(a)(1) may prohibit dual employment if a conflict of interest arises.

In reality, he cannot do both. The supervisor's job is a demanding one, especially in an election year. He's now a constitutional officer. And he's got absolutely no experience running elections in one of the state's largest counties.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I wonder how this will effect the general election in Florida this year?

Someone with absolutely no experience running elections, no knowledge of the election laws of this state, and overseeing them in the 5th largest county? Let's hope he's smart enough to listen to staff.

I know first hand how how things can go south when an inexperienced (and somewhat arrogant) supervisor oversees their first election.

pdude81

This is really confusing to me. This would have to be less pay than he was getting from CFTOD, and it shouldn't influence the outcome of any elections.

Would this stop him from having to be deposed in his official capacity for CFTOD? If not, the only reason I could see for this is that the Governor wants to put someone else in that CFTOD position.

I know that technically the board would hire for that position, but I've followed this long enough to have a strong suspicion of how the sausage is made.

LAKid53

Premium Member
This is really confusing to me. This would have to be less pay than he was getting from CFTOD, and it shouldn't influence the outcome of any elections.

Would this stop him from having to be deposed in his official capacity for CFTOD? If not, the only reason I could see for this is that the Governor wants to put someone else in that CFTOD position.

I know that technically the board would hire for that position, but I've followed this long enough to have a strong suspicion of how the sausage is made.

One can be deposed for positions or offices previously held. I was, a year AFTER I retired.

Edit: the supervisor does have a great deal of influence on HOW an election in a county is run. Application & interpretation of Florida's election laws. Hiring and training of staff, especially poll workers. Working with the county commission in the assigning of precincts, maintaining the map of said precincts and finding polling locations in the precincts. Insuring sufficient voting machines are available county wide and are properly maintained.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom