News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

mikejs78

Premium Member
Eh, I think the "Disney has released nothing but junk the past couple of years" is a bit overplayed. Yes, there have been plenty of duds, more than usual. But there have been some good films in there too. Going back to what was playing in the theaters this time two years ago, and only focusing on their core properties (Marvel, Pixar, Disney Animation):

• Eternals: Bad
  • No Way Home - Excellent (counting this because it's MCU, even though it's Sony)
  • Encanto - Excellent
  • Turning Red - Good
  • Multiverse of Madness - Meh
  • Lightyear: Bad
  • Love and Thunder: Meh
  • Wakanda Forever - Excellent
  • Strange World - Bad
  • Quantummania - Underrated
  • Guardians 3 - Excellent
  • Elemental - Good
  • Indy 4 - Meh
  • The Marvels - Underrated
  • Wish - Meh
So not great, but a few great things in there, a few good things, and a number of Meh/Bad things. Can quibble on a few of these of course, but these are my subjective opinions and I stand by them.

Isamar

Disney has filed a new lawsuit today against the CFTOD.

Here are the details via News 6 (there's a copy of the complaint at the link below).

"Walt Disney Parks and Resorts filed a lawsuit late Friday accusing the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District, or CFTOD, of failing to preserve and turn over public records in violation of Florida law and the state’s constitution.

The entertainment company is asking an Orange County circuit court judge to set an “immediate” hearing to declare that CFTOD is unlawfully withholding public records and order the agency to immediately provide Disney with all outstanding requested records.

Earlier this year, the Florida legislature made several changes to the special taxing district, formerly known as the Reedy Creek Improvement District, which provides government services to the Walt Disney World resort property.

In February, Gov. Ron DeSantis replaced Disney loyalists on the district’s board with his own appointees.

In its newly filed lawsuit, Disney claims CFTOD has failed to fully respond to a public record request the company submitted to the government agency on May 11.

The lawsuit also accuses CFTOD of allowing District employees and board members to use personal electronic devices and personal email and messaging accounts for government business without adequate processes to ensure public records are preserved or produced.

Disney claims as many as 50 employees have departed CFTOD since DeSantis appointed the new board in February, with remaining employees “exhausted” and lacking confidence in the new administration.

“On the public records front, this has led to delays, inadequate preservation, storage and production of public records, and improper and unsupported claims of privilege and exemption from disclosure, in violation of the Florida Constitution and (Florida’s Public Record Act),” the lawsuit states.

According to Disney’s complaint, CFTOD relies on board members and employees, including District Administrator Glenton Gillian, to “self-select text messages or emails responsive to public record requests on their own, without technical instruction from the District or any effort to verify compliance.”

Disney’s lawsuit alleges that CFTOD failed to preserve data from the personal devices of departing employees.

A CFTOD spokesperson did not immediately respond to the lawsuit, which was filed shortly before the close of business day Friday ahead of the Christmas holiday weekend."

The correspondence in the Exhibits at the end of the filing are interesting reading, including the additional public records requests made by Disney on Nov. 30th & Dec. 6th:

“All contracts, as well as all draft contracts, between the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District and Donald J. Kochan. Documentation showing all invoices from, and payments made to, Donald J. Kochan from January 1, 2023 onward. All communications with Donald J. Kochan, as well as ali communications about Donald J. Kochan, from January 1, 2023 onward. All documentation provided to Donald J. Kochan from January 1, 2023 onward. All documentation provided by Donald J. Kochan from January 1, 2023 onward. All studies, reports, or other analysis prepared by Donald J. Kochan, and all drafts of the same. All work papers underlying or otherwise reviewed regarding any study, report, or analysis prepared by Donald J. Kochan. All communications with the Executive Office of the Governor regarding Donald J. Kochan from January 1, 2023 onward.”

“All contracts, as well as all draft contracts, between the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District and any individuals or entities who contnbuted to, commented on, or authored any part of the "Report on Past Practices of the Reedy Creek improvement District" or any exhibits thereto (the "Report"). All Signal, Whatsapp, and text messages related to the Report. All communications with any individuals or entities related to the Report, including but not limited to all communications with media outlets, public officials, candidates for public office, political campaigns, and political action committees. All
calendar invitations related to the Report. All meeting minutes or other documents reflecting any meetings related to the Report. All invoices or other documentation evidencing payments from, or payments made to, any individuals or entities who contributed to, commented on, or authored any part of the Report. All documents provided to any individuals or entities who contributed to, commented on, or authored any part of the Report, and all drafts of the same.
All documents provided by any individuals or entities who contributed to, commented on, or authored any part of the Report, and all drafts of the same. All documents prepared by any individuals or entities who contributed to, commented on, or authored any part of the Report, and all drafts of the same. All work papers or similar documents regarding any study, report, or analysis prepared by any individuals or entities who contributed to, commented on, or authored any part of the Report. All communications with ATHOS PR or ATHOS PR personnel from March 1, 2021 until the present date. All communications with Alexei Woltomist from March 1, 2021 until the present date. All communications inviting or otherwise soliciting public comment at any Central Florida Tourism
Oversight District meeting from March 1, 2023 until the present date. All records are requested in their native format where possible, or where not possible in a reasonably usable format with all file and system metadata intact. All requests specifically include, but are not limited to, all public records, including
communications, sent by, received by, or stored on (0 any non-governmental owned or issued personal device; or (ii) any non-governmental personal email or other communications account or app, for example, such as Signal, WhatsApp, or Telegram. For purposes of these requests, communications include the transmission or display of any photos or screenshots of any public record, even if such photos or screenshots are not text-searchable.”

Last edited:

Stripes

Premium Member
The district’s lawyers assert that The Celebration Company, Golden Oak Development LLC, and Flamingo Crossings LLC were “affected property owners.”

LOL! Those are Disney subsidiaries you fools!
IMG_0956.jpeg

lazyboy97o

The district’s lawyers assert that The Celebration Company, Golden Oak Development LLC, and Flamingo Crossings LLC were “affected property owners.”

LOL! Those are Disney subsidiaries you fools!
View attachment 760581
I’m sure all of the DVC owners will be furious to learn that Disney didn’t consult them on an agreement that maintain Walt Disney World as a theme park resort.

lazyboy97o

Doesn’t Disney have total control of the DVC condominium associations as well?
I am the last person to ask about the details of DVC. My point of reference to this whole issue is that the US Army has to ask Disney’s permission to change the paint on their building. Unless there’s so state timeshare law precluding such control I find it hard to believe Disney doesn’t control them.

Oh, and the individuals they list are the previous board members who entered into the agreements. So they’re once again saying those involved didn’t inform themselves.

scottieRoss

I am the last person to ask about the details of DVC. My point of reference to this whole issue is that the US Army has to ask Disney’s permission to change the paint on their building. Unless there’s so state timeshare law precluding such control I find it hard to believe Disney doesn’t control them.

Oh, and the individuals they list are the previous board members who entered into the agreements. So they’re once again saying those involved didn’t inform themselves.
yes, Disney maintains control of the condo associations. All owners have pledged their proxies to Disney to vote for them.

ABQ

So help a novice, not a lawyer, understand. CFTOD has been around for what, less than a year? Is Disney looking for public records from that time? Or are they looking for records from back when RCID was in place? I mean, if it's from the past year, it cannot be that much to gather them all. Though the filing from 12/22 says CFTOD turned over 888 documents, apparently they want 889+? Those cannot be all from just 2023, could they?

Brian

So help a novice, not a lawyer, understand. CFTOD has been around for what, less than a year? Is Disney looking for public records from that time? Or are they looking for records from back when RCID was in place? I mean, if it's from the past year, it cannot be that much to gather them all. Though the filing from 12/22 says CFTOD turned over 888 documents, apparently they want 889+? Those cannot be all from just 2023, could they?
Pretty much everything a government agency does in Florida is public record. You can write a sticky note as a state/local worker and it could, in some cases, be considered public record.

ABQ

Pretty much everything a government agency does in Florida is public record. You can write a sticky note as a state/local worker and it could, in some cases, be considered public record.
So then CFTOD turned over 888 pages of paperclip requisition forms but nothing of substance in all likelihood? I'm still curious over the time period requested.

Goofyernmost

I'm not sure but it only makes sense that Disney is looking for what that band of idiots have done since taking over. They've had plenty of time to do a lot of questionable things. What little I read of it, it seems to be looking for what money is going to specific political friends and allies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom