News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I am calling out myself - LETS GET BACK TO BASHING DESANTIS - Please go easy on the locals.
View attachment 714385
1683147216539.png

lazyboy97o

A little deeper... even if Disney can pay for and install a friendly government, if the people turn on them, things will always be complicated. That's the situation they are facing in Florida where, everyday this stays in the news, the government is trying to turn the people against them.

After DeSantis goes away, will the people of Florida forget what he said?
Earlier you were telling us this was the will of the people and what they actually always wanted…

Dranth

Seems like DeSantis trying to make friends like in ( overseas ) like a recent UK, Israel , South Korea , Japan trip and sticking the travel bill to the taxpayers. May be a challenge making friends stateside.
On a related note, he now has a bill in front of him that will shield his travel that uses public funds, even after the trips are complete. So, once that is signed, at least the people of Florida will no longer have to worry about finding out how much of their money he is spending on his maybe presidential campaign.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
A little deeper... even if Disney can pay for and install a friendly government, if the people turn on them, things will always be complicated. That's the situation they are facing in Florida where, everyday this stays in the news, the government is trying to turn the people against them.

After DeSantis goes away, will the people of Florida forget what he said?
I am confident they will. 10 years from now these same people chirping the loudest today will be walking through one of the parks with a Bud Light. I keep using the NFL with the kneeling as an example but I’m sure there are others too. People talk a big game but rarely follow through. These trendy culture war issues tend to last about as long as a fad diet. People get bored with it and go back to what they like. Very few people have the resolve to stick with their stance which is actually a good thing.

TeriofTerror

I apologize for asking, I just asked because this video popped in my recommended and (unless he is lying, could be possible) he claims to be a lawyer who specifically worked with special districts in central Florida.

I did not know this lawyer was deleted from this thread.

I will leave it to all the experts here to tell us the truth. Thanks again.
In my limited experience, what pops into one's recommended viewing options is often indicative of said individual's viewing choices and histories. For example, I've never seen this guy before in my life.

el_super

Earlier you were telling us this was the will of the people and what they actually always wanted…

Well if they keep electing people like DeSantis that want to make social issues priority one, they will keep finding problems with Disney.

You think this is going to have any real impact on Florida politics going forward?

Dranth

While I agree some of Disneys recent films have been lackluster, what “terrible” rides are being/ have been made?
Fair enough, terrible is a bad choice of words. Misplaced rides with a dash of "why on earth did that cost so much" would be more accurate. However, they have made some pretty bad decisions when it comes to placement, theme, shows and pricing in recent years.

harry58

I have a question for those here in Orlando. Was just watching the news and heard about the passage of the ride safety bill. It is called the Tyre Sampson Bill, named for a teen who was killed on the drop tower at Icon Park. Is this the same bill that is requiring greater inspections at Disney? or is this something else?

WDWHero

Fair enough, terrible is a bad choice of words. Misplaced rides with a dash of "why on earth did that cost so much" would be more accurate. However, they have made some pretty bad decisions when it comes to placement, theme, shows and pricing in recent years.
I think if they ended the RapidFill machines they'd get everyone back on property 😂

Dranth

I have a question for those here in Orlando. Was just watching the news and heard about the passage of the ride safety bill. It is called the Tyre Sampson Bill, named for a teen who was killed on the drop tower at Icon Park. Is this the same bill that is requiring greater inspections at Disney? or is this something else?
I hope not. That would be some ironically poor taste as the state was the ones running inspections on that ride.

Disstevefan1

In my limited experience, what pops into one's recommended viewing options is often indicative of said individual's viewing choices and histories. For example, I've never seen this guy before in my life.
I apologize for bringing this person up. I did not know this person was forbidden on these boards.

Obviously was doing a lot of searching on YouTube about RCID and this situation.

Last edited:

lentesta

Premium Member
Please refer to here:

In Carter v. Carter, “The court held in part that the Bituminous Coal Conservation Act of 1935 violated the nondelegation doctrine because Congress delegated legislative power to a private industry group.”

Okay, I heard back from some people and I think I know what you're getting at.

In the state's lawsuit, Count VI on page 24 says this:
Screenshot from 2023-05-03 17-12-13.png

I highlighted "discretionary legislative power" because I was told that is an unusual phrase

In fact, it appears in exactly once Florida case: Morgran Company vs Orange County (2002)

Page 643, paragraph 4 of that ruling seems to hint where the state is going with this:

Screenshot from 2023-05-03 17-15-00.png

Okay, so what the court is saying here is that Orange County couldn't enter into this developer agreement and promise whatever for zoning requirements, because in future disputes it would have already bound itself to a decision.

BUT (there's always a but), my lawyer friends point out that Orange County is not a special district. (You knew that was going to come into play, @ParentsOf4. You just knew it.)

There's no clear-cut case involving special districts and FL 163.3227 for delegation, but since special districts are not legislative bodies under Florida law, the developer agreement might not be subject to the discretionary legislative authority claim. Or so I'm told.

It's also worth noting that the "novel and experimental" nature of RCID is explicitly mentioned in the RCID charter, and that SDs are encouraged to try new development approaches to guard against future uncertainty. I expect that to come up in any Disney response.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Yeah, I just didn't know if they used this bill and rolled Disney into it. Or if there is a separate ride inspection bill aimed only at Disney.
As I understand it there are a few bills being considered on theme park safety and this was actually a good one from a consumer/safety perspective barring last minute amendments. The family of Tyre supported it and it was unanimously supported.

But in traditional Florida fashion: There is also companion bill that would shield amusement parks from state FOIA requests and then there is the ridiculous Disney one that would divert resources to regulate the Disney parks in the special district.

harry58

As I understand it there are a few bills being considered on theme park safety and this was actually a good one from a consumer/safety perspective barring last minute amendments. The family of Tyre supported it and it was unanimously supported.

But in traditional Florida fashion: There is also companion bill that would shield amusement parks from state FOIA requests and then there is the ridiculous Disney one that would divert resources to regulate the Disney parks in the special district.
yeah, i heard about the FOIA one. And agree that the Tyree one is good. Just did not know if there was a third one to do with Disney, or that was rolled into the first one. Thanks for the information.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom