News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

disneylandtour

I once heard Dr Ruth Westheimer speak. She had a question-and-answer session at the end. Due to the nature of the questions, these were submitted anonymously in writing.

Some of the questions seemed outlandish. The audience laughed when some questions were read.

Dr Ruth said (paraphrasing), “Even if the original author was trolling, I answer all questions seriously in case there is someone else in the audience who genuinely wants to hear the answer.”

I respectfully suggest that when you think someone is trolling, you answer the question seriously for those who don’t have the time to keep up with this fast moving thread.

Alternatively, just don’t reply at all.

At the event you describe, I believe each person could ask Dr. Ruth one question in writing on a single night. In a situation where one person can continually ask questions, over many days, perhaps a different approach is warranted. That is, though I applaud your appeal to tolerance. In some situations, such as web forums, tolerance needs to have limits as well.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Agreed. But a reduction of FL sailings - particularly in this hypothetical scenario where the King of Florida is targeting their cruise line as the 2nd front in the Great Wokeness War - isn't out of the realm of possibility. It would cost more in terms of fuel to sail to Castaway, Lighthouse, etc. from SC but added costs for consumers might be offset by savings elsewhere (such as cheaper hotel rooms in Charleston and/or not needing to book transportation from WDW/MCO to Port Canaveral vs. a shorter Uber/cab ride similar to the Port of Miami). If doing business in FL becomes cost prohibitive due to the targeted actions of 1 man with pudding under his fingernails then there could be advantages to moving some - SOME - sailings to alternative ports, and look for new opportunities like sailing to Bermuda from SC. Port Canaveral isn't going anywhere, particularly because of the proximity to WDW, but how many guests are driving or flying from WDW to Miami or Ft. Lauderdale? If future attacks from the govenor make doing business at those ports more costly, then it makes sense for DCL to explore alternatives to see if they can save money.
The problem with the Carolinas is they don’t have a great deal of ancillary draws and airport capability that Florida does…

You got ALOT of runways and gates serving tourists in the swamplands

Not that I don’t love Charleston/HHI/Savannah area…I do…
But different scale.

The fact I want myrtle to slide into the Atlantic is irrelevant 😎

Last edited:

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
It absolutely needs Florida. The state is an essential part of Caribbean and Bahamian cruising out of the US.
I disagree on the first part.

Disney could easily move more sailings to Charleston or San Juan, both of which would likely welcome Disney with open arms. Hell, hypothetically, DCL from Savvanah feeding to/from Disney's Hilton Head resort could be an interesting tie up.

lazyboy97o

I think lack of standing is a real issue for the board. I'm struggling to see what standing they even have to bring suit in regards to the development agreement.
I agree. The District is claiming problems with notice and impacts to other parties who they have not specifically identified or have come forward. We’re not talking about a city with thousands of entities, but low double digits where you could easily contact every party. Could/would Disney convince the other landowners to file amicus briefs that they’re fine with the agreements?

It’ll be interesting to see how Disney responds to the state suit. Will they just try to kill it outright or have it delayed because it’s being handled in federal court?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Can we try not to blame an entire state for the actions of one person please.
That one person, because he won an election likes to say that what he does is the will of the people. His like-minded legislators say the same. Even his 'friends' he put on the new RCID board claim that they're doing the will the people based on that one man's election results.

Obviously, there are many Floridians who disagree with him. He likes to pretend they don't exist at times, and at other times, seeks to silence them.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

Disney could easily move more sailings to Charleston or San Juan, both of which would likely welcome Disney with open arms. Hell, hypothetically, DCL from Savvanah feeding to/from Disney's Hilton Head resort could be an interesting tie up.
No they can't. They aren't going to do 3 and 4 night cruises to the Bahamas consistently out of Charleston. Although they do sail out of San Juan from time to time, it is going to cut off huge segments of their customer base to shift there completely. They need the 3/4 night cruises to the Bahamas and the 7 night eastern Caribbean cruises. Those don't work consistently without Florida. As I said previously, Florida is essential due to location/proximity, infrastructure, skilled workers, customer base, customer expectations...

lewisc

Posters are talking about eminent domain and affordable housing.

How much of that is behind FW to DVC project. Harder and more expensive to acquire

GrumpyFan

I don't know about "easily", but they probably could look at adding additional sailings outside of Florida ports.
Question is whether those moved sailings would generate the same profit. My gut says "no". I don't think those sell out as much as the ones in Florida, plus the cost of fuel to sail to their usual spots is going to be more expensive. Not sure it would be a win for them.

Last edited:

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
I don't know about "easily", but they probably could look at adding additional sailings outside of Florida.
Question is whether those moved sailings would generate the same profit. My gut says "no". I don't think those sell out as much as the ones in Florida, plus the cost of fuel to sail to their usual spots is going to be more expensive. Not sure it would be a win for them.
Pull it out of their GR/PR budgets to show actual damage being done to Florida's economy as a result of DeSantis's and the legislature's actions?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom