News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That $17B was an obvious move as part of this…a smart one…

But “it’s in their stock meeting so it has to be true”
????

That’s a joke, right? What country is this?
It has to be true that their intent as of the day of the meeting is to invest $17B over the next 10 years. They have a 10 year plan and I’m sure that number is in there somewhere. Are they contractually required to spend the money? No. The SEC very loosely regulates the content of an earnings call and the auditors will at least take a look at it, but nobody will go back after the fact to see if you follow through. The street will judge you based on your transparency. If a company consistently gives earnings projections or capital spend numbers that are wildly inaccurate they will get called out on it by the sell side analysts on the call who built a model around those projections.

I think the bigger point which is a valid one is that Disney is showing their intent to grow their business and expand. The $17B is probably less critical than the 13K jobs. What is the point of a development agreement? Why would any local government want to give a landowner control over developing a property? The short answer is the development is good for the community. Disney adding 13K jobs is a big win for the local economy.

Disstevefan1

The district also requested an injunction to stop Disney from saying the developer agreements are valid.

Not sure how to deal with an injunction that conflicts with another injunction.

Disney needs to be granted theirs very soon though.
injunctions on both sides - what a mess. THANKS RON!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
True, most likely injunctions will happen so WDW can operate under Disney's control while the lawsuits go on.

There's no way injunctions won't happen, right?
The district also requested an injunction to stop Disney from saying the developer agreements are valid.

Disney asked for the injunction in their filing. There’s no guarantee they get it. It is up to the judge. If the board acts to restrict them then it is possible they ask for an emergency injunction which would expedite the process. As far as I know the Federal injunction would reverse the bill that changed over the board so if that goes through the contract question is mostly irrelevant because the board that is suing would be relieved of power at least temporarily.

JAB

That $17B was an obvious move as part of this…a smart one…

But “it’s in their stock meeting so it has to be true”
????

That’s a joke, right? What country is this?
It's certainly a bit of a stretch to say "it has to be true," but there are SEC regulations against making deliberately misleading statements in shareholder meetings. It doesn't preclude Disney from changing their plans, but it does add some extra scrutiny if they do.

lazyboy97o

Disney asked for the injunction in their filing. There’s no guarantee they get it. It is up to the judge. If the board acts to restrict them then it is possible they ask for an emergency injunction which would expedite the process. As far as I know the Federal injunction would reverse the bill that changed over the board so if that goes through the contract question is mostly irrelevant because the board that is suing would be relieved of power at least temporarily.
The injunctions being sought in the cases are permanent injunctions. They would not come until the end of the trial process, however that may play out.

What people have generally been referring to as injunctions are temporary injunctions. These prevent parties from acting during the course of a trial to prevent imminent, irreparable harm from occurring while a dispute is being litigated. A likely one would be for the Board to follow the development agreement and covenants, so they couldn’t do something like expand planning review or start work on an affordable housing development.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's certainly a bit of a stretch to say "it has to be true," but there are SEC regulations against making deliberately misleading statements in shareholder meetings. It doesn't preclude Disney from changing their plans, but it does add some extra scrutiny if they do.
They can back door out of everything with “plans change”

There just can’t be a “deliberate attempt to mislead for fiduciary gain”…which is like trying to Stop a mouse getting through Swiss cheese (don’t know if that’s a pun or not?)

One of my many pets is the “they can’t lie” opining of the ceo and board that fans have to get to sleep at night.
Of course they can and do every single day…it’s just common practice because there’s no will to enforce and it’s nearly impossible to prove.

That’s just nonsense. If they say they’re building new teacups - but have no intention to - and the stock goes up $1…some who can’t live without their happy view of Disney think the SEC is coming after them.

I suggest dumping that and trying warm milk and cookies. 🥛🍪

JAB

On one side, we have O'Melveny & Myers. On the other side, Lionel Hutz.
CFTOD legal team...
I move for a bad court thingy.

LittleBuford

This is what I’ve felt from the beginning.

Winning or losing isn’t the biggest problem for DeSantis. It’s the discovery process.
I don’t think discovery will reveal all that much more than his own public statements have already laid bare. He hasn’t been shy about the fact that his actions are retaliatory; on the contrary, he’s brandished it as a matter of pride.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The injunctions being sought in the cases are permanent injunctions. They would not come until the end of the trial process, however that may play out.

What people have generally been referring to as injunctions are temporary injunctions. These prevent parties from acting during the course of a trial to prevent imminent, irreparable harm from occurring while a dispute is being litigated. A likely one would be for the Board to follow the development agreement and covenants, so they couldn’t do something like expand planning review or start work on an affordable housing development.
So to recap how I’m understanding it, the filing currently out there asks for an injunction which reverses the bill which changed the board. If the judge rules in favor of Disney and that injunction goes into effect the board is reverted back to RCID. I said temporary since it’s possible an appeals court reverses that reversal. If Disney also wins on appeal or the case is never appealed then the injunction is permanent and the RCID board is reinstated. The Supreme Court would be the final appeal if the Federal appeals court rules so just 2 levels of appeal and no guarantee the Supreme Court takes the case.

As far as I know Disney hasn’t asked for a temporary or emergency injunction (one that goes into effect immediately before the case is final). I assume that has to be done as a separate filing or motion to the judge and would be based on some direct action by the board that could cause irreparable harm.

Lilofan

I don’t think discovery will reveal all that much more than his own public statements have already laid bare. He hasn’t been shy about the fact that his actions are retaliatory; on the contrary, he’s brandished it as a matter of pride.
DeSantis went full force in government punishing critics when he won in 2022, FL voters who supported him believed in his agenda and he was victorious. This is not your fathers Republican party as some had noted. His future aspirations pretty much is dead on arrival , and I think he will for the next two years leading FL will keep punishing his enemies who don't line up and drink the Kool Aid he is peddling.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Agreed. Normally you would comb through e-mail and phone records in the hope of finding a smoking gun that points to an intent to retaliate. This time the Governor made it easy…..he wrote a book bragging about it🤡🤡🤡

WDWHero

DeSantis went full force in government punishing critics when he won in 2022, FL voters who supported him believed in his agenda and he was victorious. This is not your fathers Republican party as some had noted. His future aspirations pretty much is dead on arrival , and I think he will for the next two years leading FL will keep punishing his enemies who don't line up and drink the Kool Aid he is peddling.
Just look at Andrew Warren, who has a case against the Gov coming up soon. These people don't believe in democracy or free speech.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It has to be true that their intent as of the day of the meeting is to invest $17B over the next 10 years. They have a 10 year plan and I’m sure that number is in there somewhere. Are they contractually required to spend the money? No. The SEC very loosely regulates the content of an earnings call and the auditors will at least take a look at it, but nobody will go back after the fact to see if you follow through. The street will judge you based on your transparency. If a company consistently gives earnings projections or capital spend numbers that are wildly inaccurate they will get called out on it by the sell side analysts on the call who built a model around those projections.

I think the bigger point which is a valid one is that Disney is showing their intent to grow their business and expand. The $17B is probably less critical than the 13K jobs. What is the point of a development agreement? Why would any local government want to give a landowner control over developing a property? The short answer is the development is good for the community. Disney adding 13K jobs is a big win for the local economy.
There is zero to hold anyone to account for that. It’s a classic “white collar lie” if they want it to be.

It doesn’t matter here…but quote all the statutes and sec filings you want…
That’s the theoretical world and money is made in the real world

Disstevefan1

Who's injunctions on first.
What injunctions on second.
I don't know injunctions is on third.

I have a great funny and harmless meme to go with this, but it keeps getting deleted for some unknown reason.

JohnD

Upcoming legislative action today:
  • The Senate will take up SB 1250 on the special order calendar (2nd reading) which includes, among other things, monorail inspections
    The Senate is only three bills away from taking up this bill.
  • The House will take up SB 1604 on the special order calendar (2nd reading) which includes, among other things, declaring prior special district development agreements void within 3 months preceding the effective date of a new law regarding that special district. There is also a filed amendment requiring the Governor to pay for any litigation from personal funds rather than the State.

lazyboy97o

I think the issue is more for his personal ambitions and how he is talking about things. People keep trying to say he is playing to the base, so how is he talking about the base if its all an act?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom