News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

peter11435

As a member of said party, I don't know a single fellow member outside of these forums that hasn't, at minimum, lost respect for or trust in Disney through this whole fiasco. That's not to say that those same people agree with DeSantis' actions (many, myself included, don't), but the Company doesn't come out squeaky clean either.
What did the company do wrong in this fiasco?

DCBaker

Premium Member
The Orlando Sentinel is reporting the union representing Disney World’s first responders says it has reached a tentative contract agreement with the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District.

"Union members will vote on the contract the week of May 15. If they approve the agreement, it will go before the board on May 24 for ratification, Shirey said.

Though he is confident the union’s first responders will back the contract, Shirey said members are concerned Disney’s lawsuit against Gov. Ron DeSantis and the board, in addition to the board’s likely countersuit, over Disney’s development agreements could affect the new contract’s approval.

“To have a major setback like that would be pretty devastating for our members,” Shirey said.

District spokespeople did not immediately respond to questions on the tentative agreement Monday. Disney did not respond to a request for comment."

-----

"The tentative agreement will add approximately 50 total firefighter and paramedic positions to the fire department within a year, increasing the roughly 200-employee agency’s staffing by about 25%, Shirey said.

As it hires more first responders, the fire department has promised to similarly increase the minimum number of these employees on shift at a time, Shirey said.

This change better equips the agency to respond to emergencies across Disney’s 40-square-mile property. Thanks to personnel changes, it will have two more ambulances staffed to respond to incidents and could reach four by the end of the year, he said.

“That’s a game-changer,” Shirey said. “Not only for us working but also just for everybody coming to visit. The odds of there not being a unit available to run those emergency calls are going to be almost eliminated at that point.”

The fire department’s minimum staffing will start at 32 firefighters and 18 EMS personnel under the contract, Shirey said. That firefighter number is the same as it was before the COVID-19 pandemic, but the agency has agreed to increase it to 44 firefighters during the contract’s term as more people are hired.

The proposal would also create a dedicated special operations team responsible for evacuating riders from Disney’s rides and transportation systems, like the Monorail and Skyliner gondolas, when they break down. The team’s current cross-staffing structure means trained firefighters have to switch from other assignments to the special unit when called, causing potential delays in response, Shirey said.

The contract agreement includes a significant pay bump for first responders and increases the department’s firefighter starting pay by about $10,000, Shirey said. That amount brings the department’s starting wage to the same level as that of neighboring agencies.

“That was a direct result of the struggle that we’ve been having with recruitment,” Shirey said. “We did a very broad comparison of the greater Central Florida area, going all the way up to Tampa on the West Coast and then looking at different departments on the East Coast, and we found that we were significantly lower than a lot of the competitors in our market.”

Shirey declined to discuss details on pay rates, citing the union’s upcoming contract vote. An April 18 job posting by the district advertises a $55,000 annual salary for firefighters and paramedics.

Another benefit included in the proposal is the restoration of health care benefits for retirees, meaning district staff would continue to receive a supplementary health plan from the district upon retirement, Shirey said."

Full article below.

cranbiz

As a member of said party, I don't know a single fellow member outside of these forums that hasn't, at minimum, lost respect for or trust in Disney through this whole fiasco. That's not to say that those same people agree with DeSantis' actions (many, myself included, don't), but the Company doesn't come out squeaky clean either.
Really? I know Disney is far from perfect, heck, I was a CM. However, lost respect for? Not a chance. And I would be considered a moderate Republican. I have lost all respect for Ron DeSantis though. Well, I lost respect for him a while ago but this Disney fiasco has affirmed my decision.

flynnibus

Premium Member
please stop taking the bait... you're not going to change their mind

february-2-groundhog-day-meme.jpeg

RamblinWreck

I think you're giving the governor too much credit here. Disney amplified that statement across social media and it was widely reported on. Besides, it's not like we're talking about some obscure fintech startup; it's ostensibly the most beloved and influential entertainment conglomerate in the world.

I also think it's a mischaracterization to call their statement "tepid." Their response prior to this statement was, though.
Waiting until after the bill has already been passed, putting out an extremely short and vague statement attributed to soneone nobody knows of, and doing absolutely nothing else is about as tepid as it gets.

Surferboy567

The Orlando Sentinel is reporting the union representing Disney World’s first responders says it has reached a tentative contract agreement with the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District.

"Union members will vote on the contract the week of May 15. If they approve the agreement, it will go before the board on May 24 for ratification, Shirey said.

Though he is confident the union’s first responders will back the contract, Shirey said members are concerned Disney’s lawsuit against Gov. Ron DeSantis and the board, in addition to the board’s likely countersuit, over Disney’s development agreements could affect the new contract’s approval.

“To have a major setback like that would be pretty devastating for our members,” Shirey said.

District spokespeople did not immediately respond to questions on the tentative agreement Monday. Disney did not respond to a request for comment."

-----

"The tentative agreement will add approximately 50 total firefighter and paramedic positions to the fire department within a year, increasing the roughly 200-employee agency’s staffing by about 25%, Shirey said.

As it hires more first responders, the fire department has promised to similarly increase the minimum number of these employees on shift at a time, Shirey said.

This change better equips the agency to respond to emergencies across Disney’s 40-square-mile property. Thanks to personnel changes, it will have two more ambulances staffed to respond to incidents and could reach four by the end of the year, he said.

“That’s a game-changer,” Shirey said. “Not only for us working but also just for everybody coming to visit. The odds of there not being a unit available to run those emergency calls are going to be almost eliminated at that point.”

The fire department’s minimum staffing will start at 32 firefighters and 18 EMS personnel under the contract, Shirey said. That firefighter number is the same as it was before the COVID-19 pandemic, but the agency has agreed to increase it to 44 firefighters during the contract’s term as more people are hired.

The proposal would also create a dedicated special operations team responsible for evacuating riders from Disney’s rides and transportation systems, like the Monorail and Skyliner gondolas, when they break down. The team’s current cross-staffing structure means trained firefighters have to switch from other assignments to the special unit when called, causing potential delays in response, Shirey said.

The contract agreement includes a significant pay bump for first responders and increases the department’s firefighter starting pay by about $10,000, Shirey said. That amount brings the department’s starting wage to the same level as that of neighboring agencies.

“That was a direct result of the struggle that we’ve been having with recruitment,” Shirey said. “We did a very broad comparison of the greater Central Florida area, going all the way up to Tampa on the West Coast and then looking at different departments on the East Coast, and we found that we were significantly lower than a lot of the competitors in our market.”

Shirey declined to discuss details on pay rates, citing the union’s upcoming contract vote. An April 18 job posting by the district advertises a $55,000 annual salary for firefighters and paramedics.

Another benefit included in the proposal is the restoration of health care benefits for retirees, meaning district staff would continue to receive a supplementary health plan from the district upon retirement, Shirey said."

Full article below.

The board is going to weaponize first responder pay as a way to try and get these developer agreements voided. Extremely low even for this board.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I can't speak for the fanboys, personally, I am a fan of WDW, Universal and Seaworld and want none to fail; I want all of them work to be better; and it's the tourist who wins.

My commentary was really that Universal is able to focus on guest experience better while TWDC need to focus elsewhere.
I don’t think anyone who is focused on guest experience has a whole lot to do with this lawsuit. It’s possible that there could be an impact to guests if some bozos 🤡decide to show up at WDW and make trouble, but that’s what security is for. Outside of that I don’t think guests will be impacted.

I have heard some people in my hood say they were reluctant to go to FL with all this going on (not really RCID directly, but more the book bannings and hostility towards certain groups all while making guns more prevalent), but in those cases they aren’t skipping WDW for Universal they are saying they are skipping the whole state. I will believe it when I see it, talk is cheap. I am planning a trip to Universal and Sea World this Summer and not WDW so I hope the crowds aren’t huge with everyone avoiding Disney.

WDWHero

Selling "Love is Universal" merch and donating 100 percent of the profits and saying out of a fight that has nothing to do with them is catering to the far-right?

Wow.
They are just having their cake and eating it too is all I'm saying. Disney had more courage to actually stand up for bad laws than they did.

Brian

The board is going to weaponize first responder pay as a way to try and get these developer agreements voided. Extremely low even for this board.
Perhaps inspired by when Disney promised every U.S. based CM a $1,000 bonus in the midst of the STCU negotiations, and in light of the corporate tax rate cut, then made STCU CMs (the lowest paid U.S.-based CMs) receiving it a condition of accepting the Company's crappy wage offer.

Surferboy567

Maybe I am reading too much into it but it seems like they are using this as a way to say Disney is stopping the first responders from getting this deal. Making them look like the enemy.

lazyboy97o

According to his recent comments he intends to have the Florida Legislature pass a bill to nullify the developer agreement. Can the government do that? How does that affect the law suit?

That seems illegal, though I am not a legal expert. Can the government just pass new bills for every contract they disagree with? Targeting just Disney for this new bill gives Disney more ammo in their lawsuit.
Both the state and federal constitutions prohibit the impairment of contracts. Upholding contracts has a long, established history that predates the United States.

Disney can amend their complaint to include the additional legislation. The only issue is there might be a problem with standing to challenge the law since it doesn’t itself negate the contracts, but is to allow the Board to negate contracts. The law itself isn’t what causes injury, it’s “hypothetical” future actions by others. Since Disney is suing both the state and District that might help any weird issues.

JusticeDisney

Well, I know countless members of the Republican party who think that DeSantis is a total clown and that Disney had every right to speak up for what they believe in. I guess the folks who I know - unlike the ones who you know - just choose to put the constitution, including the First Amendment, above their subjective personal beliefs.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

I don’t think anyone who is focused on guest experience has a whole lot to do with this lawsuit. It’s possible that there could be an impact to guests if some bozos 🤡decide to show up at WDW and make trouble, but that’s what security is for. Outside of that I don’t think guests will be impacted.

I have heard some people in my hood say they were reluctant to go to FL with all this going on (not really RCID directly, but more the book bannings and hostility towards certain groups all while making guns more prevalent), but in those cases they aren’t skipping WDW for Universal they are saying they are skipping the whole state. I will believe it when I see it, talk is cheap. I am planning a trip to Universal and Sea World this Summer and not WDW so I hope the crowds aren’t huge with everyone avoiding Disney.
I am happy to hear you are going to SeaWorld. I am a big fan of SeaWorld and my favorite is their Christmas season.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom