News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Disney is a wealthy company. They are not hiring an army of $2000 per hour attorneys to champion the first amendment. They see a state subsidized profit center being taken from them, and are hiding behind the first amendment argument. The Florida Constitution provides for these districts under the state codes including the provisions for removing said districts. This is a straight up state law battle, not a Federal issue.
Do me a favor…in 300 words or less, prove to me you know NOTHING about the Walt Disney company and Florida…

…wait…nevermind ✔️

Dranth

Disney is a wealthy company. They are not hiring an army of $2000 per hour attorneys to champion the first amendment. They see a state subsidized profit center being taken from them, and are hiding behind the first amendment argument.
This is a talking point that has been proven false many times over. Whoever you are getting your information from is just factually incorrect. Disney paid extra taxes because of RCID, not less and none of the money RCID collected went to Disney as profit.

The Florida Constitution provides for these districts under the state codes including the provisions for removing said districts.
Yes, but the state did not follow the rules setup to remove said district. In fact, they passed a number of new laws to bypass the rules. Besides, in the end, they didn’t dissolve the district, they forcibly removed elected officials and installed appointed ones.

This is a straight up state law battle, not a Federal issue.
When state law runs afoul of the federal constitution it goes to federal court, not state but if the federal judge agrees with you they will throw the case out and tell Disney to refill with the state so this isn't an issue.

MagicHappens1971

Disney is a wealthy company. They are not hiring an army of $2000 per hour attorneys to champion the first amendment. They see a state subsidized profit center being taken from them, and are hiding behind the first amendment argument. The Florida Constitution provides for these districts under the state codes including the provisions for removing said districts.
I’m not going to dignify these falsehoods with a response.
This is a straight up state law battle, not a Federal issue.
Wrong. Aside from the governors blatant attacks on Disneys first amendment rights, the portions of the lawsuit regarding contracts & due process are accurate and make this a federal issue.

Edit: In case you needed any further proof, these are direct quotes of DeSantis (&Co) from the suit.
IMG_0085.jpeg
IMG_0086.jpeg

IMG_0084.jpeg

Last edited:

harry58

I don’t see how it’s “unrelated” at all…

You want to talk about avoiding wages and taxes…lake nona is the poster child for it.

They should cancel it immediately…should have already, actually.
I live in Lake Nona. Curious as to why you call the area a poster child for avoiding wages and taxes.
Just to be clear, I dont believe imagineering should be relocated, even though it would probably help
my property values. Just wonder about your statements.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
When state law runs afoul of the federal constitution it goes to federal court, not state but if the federal judge agrees with you they will throw the case out and tell Disney to refill with the state so this isn't an issue.
Bob Newsmax missed the part yesterday where they specifically waited until they could go to federal court - the “voiding” of land deals was the trigger - before they filed.

Like as if they just randomly typed it up in 5 minutes and dropped it off on their way to the Starbucks in Jacksonville…

lazyboy97o

It could be said they don’t really care about the development agreement because if they win they don’t need it. Just doesn’t make sense to sue multiple times, so they put everything in there.
Most of the complaint is about the development agreement. That’s the big thing they want because regardless of any other outcomes it keeps the most in place.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Just posting this here for posterity. View attachment 712861
This Senator will be wrong….

View attachment 712862
DeSantis boasted about retaliating against Disneys first amendment rights….
View attachment 712863
The Rep who introduced the bill to the house publicly stated that they did this to punish Disney.

DeSantis and his pudding squad basically wrote this lawsuit for Disney.
There really isn’t any dispute about standing or the facts of the case…

The question is what message do political courts want to send?
That’s the whole thing now.

If I had to bet…I’d lean obviously towards the money

MagicHappens1971

There really isn’t any dispute about standing or the facts of the case…

The question is what message do political courts want to send?
That’s the whole thing now.

If I had to bet…I’d lean obviously towards the money
I think it’s gonna be hard for any judge to rule against Disney. Citizens United is a landmark precedent that covers the 1A argument, the Constitution covers the other arguments, and Disney even cited the FL Supreme Court decision supporting RCID & its public purpose.

Either way this is all very unfortunate for the governor as this is all working against his presidential bid. Stepping into the ring with one of the worlds largest and most beloved entertainment powerhouses while you are mounting a presidential campaign is a poor choice.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Also two good profiles on some of the firms working on the case: https://news.bloomberglaw.com/busin...2689A38&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=lawdesk

I let my Law subscription lapse. It's paywalled. :)

Here's a non-paywall article on Disney's lawyers...

GBAB1973

It still boggles the mind that some think Disney and the RCID created a situation where Disney pays little to no county taxes. The pay their fair share crowd are some of the most ignorant around because on top of basically every media outlet saying that's false, any DeSantis fan can literally look up the parcels on the county website and see they pay property taxes on much of their land.

Yes, there are some tax abatements inside the district. The parking garages in Disney Springs are tax free but those are typical tax breaks that many have under the guise that the development of parking garages serve the community at large by driving retail business (which also, cough cough, pays taxes).

Gringrinngghost

Disney is a wealthy company. They are not hiring an army of $2000 per hour attorneys to champion the first amendment. They see a state subsidized profit center being taken from them, and are hiding behind the first amendment argument. The Florida Constitution provides for these districts under the state codes including the provisions for removing said districts. This is a straight up state law battle, not a Federal issue.
Retaliation when it involves free speech is a federal court issue. While you can have a state constitutional issue, there is this thing called the Federal Supremacy clause.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
“State subsidized profit center…”

It’s amazing how little people understand history sometimes.

RCID was demanded by Disney because the state couldn’t tie its shoelaces correctly.

Hell, if they had bought the land after 1973…it would have been a Superfund site. I’m not kidding.

“But that was then…”
Remember 3 years ago when everyone was laid off and the joke of an unemployment system couldn’t get anyone paid? Even at their pathetic rates?
They whined for federal money…predictably.

And the insurance policies in the state aren’t worth the email they’re printed on. Due to gross mismanagement.
Maybe reedy can pay for those too?

Sometimes it’s ok to be an idiot in silence without proving it to everyone else 😎

MagicHappens1971

It still boggles the mind that some think Disney and the RCID created a situation where Disney pays little to no county taxes. The pay their fair share crowd are some of the most ignorant around because on top of basically every media outlet saying that's false, any DeSantis fan can literally look up the parcels on the county website and see they pay property taxes on much of their land.

Yes, there are some tax abatements inside the district. The parking garages in Disney Springs are tax free but those are typical tax breaks that many have under the guise that the development of parking garages serve the community at large by driving retail business (which also, cough cough, pays taxes).
Even so, Disneys pays nearly 88% of RCIDs taxes, so their taxes paid for those garages. The technicalities come down to the fact that really municipal bonds paid for those garages and a private company can’t take out municipal bonds, but I digress. As I feel the benefits to FL, Orange & Osceola counties far outweigh any of this partisan nonsense about Disneys tax bill.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Americans have shown a remarkable ability to not understand who is cheating and robbing them for decades.

They know they are being taken advantage of…no doubt…but they pull a 180 before pointing the figure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom