News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

JohnD

Great, you know one of their cronies must lurk here, now you've told them what to fix ;)
Who's that? If you mean me, if you think I have any connection to the Governor's Office, you would be wrong. I'm an observer only. Besides, I was very clear from the outset this didn't happen in a vacuum. I said any reaction to what happened after that is valid. I'm now just reporting factual info as I know it, such as bill amendment text and when heard by committee.

Disney Analyst

Who's that? If you mean me, if you think I have any connection to the Governor's Office, you would be wrong. I'm an observer only. Besides, I was very clear from the outset this didn't happen in a vacuum. I said any reaction to what happened after that is valid. I'm now just reporting factual info as I know it, such as bill amendment text and when heard by committee.

I was just making a joke 😭

(but now I am suspicious of you 🕵️‍♂️)

(still just joking around)

Chi84

Premium Member
Did they pay these lawyers by the word? I haven't read the Act creating the Board, but @castlecake2.0 the documents now identify both the authority for prohibiting COVID-19 mitigation (safety and sanitation of structures in which private businesses operate) and the enforcement penalties ($250 civil fine for every day of violation). As far as private businesses within the district, the Board states that it has declared that "society is harmed by discrimination based on COVID-19 vaccination status" and generally prohibits requiring documentation certifying vaccination or post-infection recovery or imposing a testing mandate to gain entry into the buildings.

Unlike the other sections applying to property owned by the district, it doesn't prohibit requiring masks or other face coverings.

This is just based on a very cursory reading in an area I'm not too familiar with. If anyone else can weigh in, I would love to know your take.

afterabme

Did they pay these lawyers by the word? I haven't read the Act creating the Board, but @castlecake2.0 the documents now identify both the authority for prohibiting COVID-19 mitigation (safety and sanitation of structures in which private businesses operate) and the enforcement penalties ($250 civil fine for every day of violation). As far as private businesses within the district, the Board states that it has declared that "society is harmed by discrimination based on COVID-19 vaccination status" and generally prohibits requiring documentation certifying vaccination or post-infection recovery or imposing a testing mandate to gain entry into the buildings.

Unlike the other sections applying to property owned by the district, it doesn't prohibit requiring masks or other face coverings.

This is just based on a very cursory reading in an area I'm not too familiar with. If anyone else can weigh in, I would love to know your take.
Wonder how this will affect the 24-hr Adventhealth urgent care by 535 and the cast member health building behind Epcot.

JAB

Assuming the lawsuit doesn't move fast enough to get resolved before June 1, what are the chances the board backs off the suit if the "retroactively void valid contracts" bill passes?

The board would gain the authority to void the contracts regardless of whether they were properly executed, so the lawsuit would become moot. Would they void the agreements, but still keep trying to get them declared invalid anyway just in case Disney sues to get the law declared unconstitutional?

Or might a judge dismiss the board's suit if the bill passes because the new law makes the suit pointless, but then they could refile if Disney gets the law overturned?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I was listening to a local call-in show on the NPR station in Orlando driving to Port Canaveral for a DCL cruise last Saturday. The two lawyers who were guests on the show made the point that while Disney may not have a strong case in some areas, they do when it comes to the right to enjoy use of the property it owns in the manner it deems best. And that the Florida Supreme Court has in prior cases ruled in the affirmative in instances like this.

AEfx

Have to beg to differ.
Millions visiting Disney parks per year. Bazillions spent on merch, movies, etc. worldwide.
Are they all rabid fans like us, of course not.
Are there absolute 'Disney is a blood sucking corporation we hate them' people out there, yes.
But yes, Disney has fans.

That really doesn't have anything to do with what I said, though. I never claimed that Disney wasn't a profitable business that many people give money to.

Money is spent even from people who actively dislike them (on both sides of the aisle, and both high-and low-brow culture) for various reasons. For just one example, go to any Star Wars message board, pretty much anywhere - reddit, or the big forums, etc. - and even though the vast majority of posts absolutely roast Disney as a company, those same people still spend hundreds and thousands of dollars each on Star Wars merchandise every year.

Another example is Disney+ - a highly successful venture - but how many people subscribe because they just love the Disney corporation, versus "my kid only shuts up if I play Frozen 2 on repeat every day", or because they gate-keep the content they want (Marvel, Star Wars, etc).

The entire point was - outside of fandoms, people do not have a great deal of affection for Disney as a company in the way some people who have posted seem to think. Like everyone is going to rally around them as poor victims, and change their mind politically or their vote based on this situation. Like "oh no, don't mess with Disney - that's one step too far!" It isn't 1980, or even 2000 any more.

Few other companies or entities jumping in to defend them, because in many ways, it's very hard for a company as profitable and powerful as Disney to be seen as some poor underdog victim. There are a lot of folks out there (especially in Hollywood) who absolutely despise DeSantis, but they are also chuckling out the other sides of their mouth because they don't dislike seeing Disney as a company get roughed up, at all.

And everyone else? Indifference. There is so much going on in the world right now, that what amounts to a spitting match over taxes on a theme park just doesn't hit the radar when in the end, it doesn't actually affect anything outside of Orlando at all.

afterabme

I was listening to a local call-in show on the NPR station in Orlando driving to Port Canaveral for a DCL cruise last Saturday. The two lawyers who were guests on the show made the point that while Disney may not have a strong case in some areas, they do when it comes to the right to enjoy use of the property it owns in the manner it deems best. And that the Florida Supreme Court has in prior cases ruled in the affirmative in instances like this.
It is important to note that the makeup of the court has changed dramatically. This new court is remarkably different from previous ones.

Patcheslee

Looks like they're also worked on confirmation hearings today. Not sure what the step is after Ethics and Elections committee.
Screenshot_20230424_191518_Drive.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom