News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member

JoeCamel

Can you be a little more specific? I drive through there daily and I’m blanking at what you’re referring to. I’m not aware of an extension of the existing solar farm, just a lot of utility work, road widening, and housing development.

If driving north on Hartzog past the hotels, on the left side of the road. Before Hartzog curves and meets Avalon at Four Corners.
It is water from the treatment plant. They spray it so it soaks in or evaporates

Lilofan

And about that affordable housing -

Under Eisner, Celebration FL was built in the southern part of the Reedy Creek Improvement District land. The first 350 homes and 123 apts residents were chosen by lottery to prevent racial discrimination. I'm thinking that the future affordable housing at WDW will be chosen by lottery also.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Ah got it; didn't realize there was a state agency in the mix. So basically, if somehow RCID didn't actually mail notices to *all* landowners, then it will come down to a legal battle over whether any objecting landowners are considered "affected." 😬

The statute says "affected landowners". But the statute also says "before the first public hearing", which would be the January 2023 hearing.

Screenshot_20230419-183354~2.png

lazyboy97o

I don’t buy those arguments. “Affected property owners” is generally understood to be property owners adjacent to the property subject to the development agreement or relatively close by (within 300 feet).

The property owners don’t necessarily have to live there. And could even be property owners outside the boundaries of the district. There are several properties owned by other entities that are adjacent to Disney and RCID land including the Florida Department of Transportation (who would obviously be willing to sue).

Disney had a golden opportunity here and it seems they took their shot and missed just like DeSantis on his first and second round.

To say that I’m profoundly disappointed would be a gross understatement.

I truly hope something comes to light to explain how or why this happened, but as I see it now things do not look good at all for the development agreement.
If you look at the maps of the district land holdings you’ll see that there is a small amount that runs along the district’s border creating a buffer. That reduced the amount of property within the 300’ zone.

Even if they did need to send notice to these neighboring parties, they still need some harm for standing. Most zoning disputes arise out of changes, not maintaining the status quo. So the district needs to find an affected land owner who feels they would be harmed by things remaining as they were for over a decade. And since the Comprehensive Plan is relatively new, that they didn’t object during that public process throws the sincerity of their concerns in doubt. This whole ordeal has also now been even more publicized and they still haven’t come forward. That’s a unicorn they’re searching for, an adjacent property owner who in the past year realized that the status quo is a potential harm, has missed the national news coverage but definitely would have responded promptly to a mailed notice. They needed somewhere there today taking about how Walt Disney World still being Walt Disney World was going to be a harm to them as an adjacent landowner.

There’s also the possibility that the existing agreements and covenants with the other land owners in the district limit their being affected.

Last, there is still the original charter and its rules regarding the conduct of the Board of Supervisors.

Chi84

Premium Member
If you look at the maps of the district land holdings you’ll see that there is a small amount that runs along the district’s border creating a buffer. That reduced the amount of property within the 300’ zone.

Even if they did need to send notice to these neighboring parties, they still need some harm for standing. Most zoning disputes arise out of changes, not maintaining the status quo. So the district needs to find an affected land owner who feels they would be harmed by things remaining as they were for over a decade. And since the Comprehensive Plan is relatively new, that they didn’t object during that public process throws the sincerity of their concerns in doubt. This whole ordeal has also now been even more publicized and they still haven’t come forward. That’s a unicorn they’re searching for, an adjacent property owner who in the past year realized that the status quo is a potential harm, has missed the national news coverage but definitely would have responded promptly to a mailed notice. They needed somewhere there today taking about how Walt Disney World still being Walt Disney World was going to be a harm to them as an adjacent landowner.

There’s also the possibility that the existing agreements and covenants with the other land owners in the district limit their being affected.

Last, there is still the original charter and its rules regarding the conduct of the Board of Supervisors.
I think we just don't know nearly enough to speculate on the effect of any procedural defects in this case.

Heath

Not even close. In your case it would be like you saying you don't like paying taxes (as your post made clear), and as a result they punish you with more taxes and the loss of ability to do what you want with your property, while at the same time making you pay for an investigation. against you.

What Disney did was speak against the governor, who is the HEAD of government in the state of Florida, due to legislation that they didn't like. And as a result, by exercising their constitutionally protected right to free speech, the governor took action specifically against them.

Oh, and political activists ARE stockholders. As a shareholder I'm plenty happy to see Disney take a stand for what's right.
Politely my example is simply saying “just stay out of politics to avoid business problems.” You are correct Disney exercised their right to speak against the state, and their right to back legislatures against the majority’s agenda…which turned out to be a horrible business decision. While I wouldn’t want to invest in anything against my principles, I only buy stocks for profit. I donate to activism, don’t invest in it.

Heath

If I could name 1 or 100, which I cannot, it doesn’t change the premise it’s smart business to avoid sensitive political land mines. Disney chose to back opposing legislatures, and they are reaping what they have sown. I feel like the topic is going in endless circles based on the premise of Disney good, Governor bad. Or vice versa. If your premise is Disney could not avoid the scenario, I politely disagree.

James Alucobond

... and they are reaping what they have sown.
So ... you sow protected speech in defense of your employees and reap unlawful government retaliation? Not sure that's how it's supposed to work, and I've no idea how anyone could support it. I suppose if your tax assessor catches wind of your complaints about how much you pay in taxes here, you'll be reaping what you've sown when he triples your rate.

Chi84

Premium Member
I cannot. I also can’t name a single person who has never drunk Coke, eaten bacon, or stepped in a big pile of 💩. But I know it’s best to avoid it.

You believe Disney did what they think is moral, but not what the formidable opposing side thought was moral. (Including me. ) So again, if they think their strategy was the best way to stand up, they now have to pay for it. It appears many Disney executives regret this stand.
What do you mean they have to pay for it? You think the government has a right to punish people for taking moral positions the government doesn’t like?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom