News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

James Alucobond

So again, if they think their strategy was the best way to stand up, they now have to pay for it. It appears many Disney executives regret this stand.
Again, their customers will hold them accountable if they find their moral stance questionable. The government cannot retaliate in this way in response, nor should you want them to. I doubt you will think it fair to pay if or when the moral caprices of the government swing in the opposite direction.

Brian

It's also interesting that MANY groups and businesses spoke out against this legislation, so why is Disney the only target?
Because targeting ~75% of corporate America would be an awfully tall order. Also, WDW is a Florida institution. Going after Target wouldn't resonate as much with the base.

ETA: Disney as a brand is also an American institution in its own right.

lazyboy97o

Not sure what you mean. Why does the mailing deadline matter if they didn't mail the notices? I'm not saying they didn't, just considering "if."
I think it’d be a pretty week argument to claim that a mailed notice, and a mailed notice alone, is what would have stirred action. Not other public notices. Not national news coverage. Just that one piece of mail is what would have made you act in a timely manner.

These disputes are usually “You didn’t tell me you were changing something.” This is, “You didn’t tell me things were staying the same” and as time moves forward it becomes “You didn’t tell me things were staying the same and even after I found out I still waited a much longer time than the notice provided to get around to voice my objection to things staying the same.”

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

My family is OUT of this Political mess. No more WDW investment. No DVC, no AP.
Up to you, what you wish to do...
If we return? RACK - yearly 30% discount (REAL rack). But we are no longer parking Money there.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I think it’d be a pretty week argument to claim that a mailed notice, and a mailed notice alone, is what would have stirred action. Not other public notices. Not national news coverage. Just that one piece of mail is what would have made you act in a timely manner.

These disputes are usually “You didn’t tell me you were changing something.” This is, “You didn’t tell me things were staying the same” and as time moves forward it becomes “You didn’t tell me things were staying the same and even after I found out I still waited a much longer time than the notice provided to get around to voice my objection to things staying the same.”
I don’t think there is an argument that because the agreement doesn’t cause change that it no longer needs the same notice.

The notice is for an agreement period - not it’s contents

lazyboy97o

The morality of it is immaterial! And that’s the critical point! Freedom of speech is not just about speech you agree with.
It’s amazing how this keeps getting missed. Disney could have advocated for the most horrible things. They could have said pedophilia and murder should be legal and it would be protected. They could have said they support a violent revolution against the government complete with a Reign of Terror and it would have been protected. The whole point of freedom of speech is that you can say pretty much anything, even vile and despicable things.

Last edited:

Tha Realest

I think we just don't know nearly enough to speculate on the effect of any procedural defects in this case.
the legal counsel to the successors to the RCID, which would presumptively have ready access to previous communications, are asserting that notices weren’t provided to the affected property owners.

Tha Realest

You’re adding requirements that don’t exist in the statute.

Did they comply with public notice requirements or not? Where does it require those entitled to notice to show harm?

Chi84

Premium Member
the legal counsel to the successors to the RCID, which would presumptively have ready access to previous communications, are asserting that notices weren’t provided to the affected property owners.
I understand. But there may be facts we don’t know that impact upon the ultimate effect of lack of notice.

James Alucobond

My example only meant that Disney should try to avoid politics. Sometimes it’s tough to avoid politics, but it’s best business practice to try. Disney did not, whether they couldn’t, or intentionally inserted themselves for their moral cause, they stepped in it. Big time.
First, it's actually irresponsible to the shareholders not to be involved in politics as you should certainly be lobbying with your company's best interests in mind. That is how Disney got into the position they enjoyed for decades in the first place.

Second, it is not about whether or not what they said was stupid or offended someone in the state government. It is about the fact that the government legally cannot retaliate against anything they say. Why are you defending the government for passing legislation to punish someone for committing what you consider a flub?

Brian

lazyboy97o

I don’t think there is an argument that because the agreement doesn’t cause change that it no longer needs the same notice.

The notice is for an agreement period - not it’s contents
It’s not that it negates the need for notice, but that it changes the ability to claim a valid concern of potential harm from the agreement. Examples have been shared of lack of notice not being sufficient to completely kill the deal. If that holds, then you need someone who not only should have been notified but has a concern they would have brought forward for consideration.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

How are you going to lose cash visiting WDW?

Aside from the obvious spending of it.
DVC investment - about $40K. One contact gifted, one sold. We are out.
Dues : about $2.5K per year.
Air Fair: about $4K per year, two trips.
Dinning: About $2K per trip, times two.

All gone. We are taking that apx $12K per year, two vacations, and putting the cash into that which is no longer a Political War.
My dear 2nd son needed a great GENERAC for his home.... we're taking care of that :).

We will return, when WDW has a functioning park system. It's a vacation - not the War in Ukraine.

Tha Realest

After all of the other openly stated misinformation we have recieved from the governor, the legislature, and the new board…. Why are you so quick to believe them. They have openly lied to you repeatedly already.
The existence (or Nonexistence) of notice is a very easy thing to prove or disprove. It’s really a very simple question. We’ve yet to see any evidence of mailed notice. You can hand waive against its import or allege bad faith all you want, but no one has yet to produce evidence these notices were mailed as required by law.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Not sure what you mean. Why does the mailing deadline matter if they didn't mail the notices? I'm not saying they didn't, just considering "if."

Because the relevant statute says "all affected landowners". I'd have to go back and read the Agreement, but I believe not every single landowner in the District was affected by it, therefore no requirement to mail them a copy before the January meeting.

peter11435

The existence (or Nonexistence) of notice is a very easy thing to prove or disprove. It’s really a very simple question. We’ve yet to see any evidence of mailed notice. You can hand waive against its import or allege bad faith all you want, but no one has yet to produce evidence these notices were mailed as required by law.
And who provided evidence that they were not. Did the new board point out a single effected landowner today that was not noticed? Why not?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Look at a map of the Florida water management districts. The South Florida Water Management District noodles up the middle of the state for a reason, because systems like Reedy Creek are part of the Everglades hydrological system.

Someone would have to prove they've got standing. In other words, hire a hydrogeologist to determine that the quality of groundwater on their property was directly impacted by the underground injection wells Reedy Creek uses to dispose of wastewater.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom