News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

trainplane3

From the article:

Among other things, the agreement spells out that the district is barred from using the Disney name without the corporation’s approval or “fanciful characters such as Mickey Mouse.”​
That declaration is valid until “21 years after the death of the last survivor of the descendants of King Charles III, king of England,” according to the document.​

Is this intended as trolling? Doesn’t such obvious mockery (I assume that’s what it is) weaken Disney’s case if the agreement is challenged in court?
I just see it as protecting copyright/trademark. They're tight about who and how they use Mickey and other characters. It only makes sense to protect their owned property.

LittleBuford

I just see it as protecting copyright/trademark. They're tight about who and how they use Mickey and other characters. It only makes sense to protect their owned property.
I was referring to the invocation of Charles III, but that’s been amply explained (as you’ll see as you continue your way though the thread, which is fast growing!).

GBAB1973

Some FL Republicans are not happy:

I had stopped following this story until today but when guys like this are saying Disney's special tax privileges, what are they referring to? I seem to recall back last year there were some saying Disney needed to pay their fair share of property taxes but as I understood it, not only did Disney pay taxes to the RCID but they also paid their required property taxes to the two counties.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I had stopped following this story until today but when guys like this are saying Disney's special tax privileges, what are they referring to? I seem to recall back last year there were some saying Disney needed to pay their fair share of property taxes but as I understood it, not only did Disney pay taxes to the RCID but they also paid their required property taxes to the two counties.
It was a hoax…and it was theater…

It was “hoaxy theater”

Everyone that “liked” this was sent 38 spam emails a week asking for donations.

Now the danger here is that the circus tries to “up the ante”

Disney isn’t into negative PR. That could cause problems

Disney Glimpses

Yeah, they are full of it. I just shared to show that the developments carry enough weight to upset even Republicans.

GBAB1973

So having read the last 8-9 pages since the news broke, is this best summarized as:

DeSantis got upset Disney stuck their nose into his business. He got his minions in the legislature to disband the RCID. They spent months coming up with a plan that they essentially thought would give a handpicked partisan board control over the district and possibly be able to influence Disney operations through that control. The legislature put that plan into motion and while they were patting each other on the back for their soon to be "win" over big bad Disney, no one from DeSantis, to his admin, to the state legislature to potential board members noticed the RCID was holding public hearings over an agreement that would, for all intents and purposes, severely cripple their power?

LOL.

GBAB1973

Yeah, they are full of it. I just shared to show that the developments carry enough weight to upset even Republicans.

Yeah I thought so. I recall one of the state legislators made this claim last year and someone sent him screen shots of the county website showing the parcels Disney owned and what their annual tax bills to the respective county was.

Den Carter

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm seeing references to the deferral of control from RCID to Disney being for the next 30 years, and also being until 21 years after the date of the death of the last living descendant of King Charles as of now, which would, I think be Princess Lillibet. So assuming she doesn't die very young, that should be a lot longer than 30 years, right?

The mouse had a card up his sleeve! ;)
mickey mouse magic GIF

MagicHappens1971

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm seeing references to the deferral of control from RCID to Disney being for the next 30 years, and also being until 21 years after the date of the death of the last living descendant of King Charles as of now, which would, I think be Princess Lillibet. So assuming she doesn't die very young, that should be a lot longer than 30 years, right?
The development agreement is in place for 30 years

"WHEREAS, Sections 163.3220-163.3243, Florida Statutes (the “Florida Local Government Development Agreement Act”), authorize local governments and developers to enter into certain types of development agreements, with an initial duration of up to thirty (30) years, to provide certainty to both parties in terms of current and future processes and entitlements"

This part of the contract is in effect in perpetuity/ and or until the youngest descendant of King Charles III dies.

"WHEREAS, WDPR and/or its Affiliates (as defined in the Glossary of Terms attached as an Appendix) is/are the owner of certain parcels of land, located adjacent and/or near the R I D Properties, and also being aportionofthe R I D JurisdictionalLands, more particularly described on ExhibitB attached hereto and made a part hereof(each a "WIDPR Property" and collectively,
the "WDPR Properties"); and
WHEREAS, the WDPR Properties represent the vast majority of the RCID Jurisdictional
Lands and WDPR and/or its Affiliates have developed, and plan to continue to develop, theWDPR Properties into the Walt Disney World@ Resort (the Walt Disney World® Resort as further
developed and expanded is referred to as the"Project");"

Basically, the 30 year thing cements the plans in the development plan. The second part entitles WDW to certain rights of RCID powers and its land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom