News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Yes, correct. Sales Tax collected by Disney goes directly to FL Department of Revenue. Filing frequency may differ
Monthly/Quarterly/Annually. For me personally it is on a monthly basis for my business. It does not go to the local county or district.
I can’t believe it’s even a discussion point…

But Orange/Osceola do have their own direct taxes. Those would increase…a lot

Casper Gutman

It already happens.

See that's the thing with gifts... they can stop giving them or take them away. It's easy enough to come up with other justifications that easily overlap your vendettas. Then it's about who has the better lawyers.

Retaliation in politics is awful - but let's not pretend this is some new emerging threat.
What specific instances of governmental punishment of private speech are you thinking of?

lazyboy97o

Yeah but they have to solve the debt/infrastructure/successor agency issue. A CDD makes the money Disney's problem while still limiting their power.

Also, anybody can apply to form a CDD so it's not a special benefit - the same logic they used to justify still giving them the tax break for Imagineering to move over.

Ultimately, these guys are smart even if they are really, really, really stupid. They found a way to be perceived as screwing Disney while limiting the blowback.
Creation of a new Community Development District requires the written consent of all landowners. Neither Disney nor any of the other landowners within the current District have to consent to a new CDD. This is also true for any other existing districts that would be dissolved.

Sir_Cliff

It already happens.

See that's the thing with gifts... they can stop giving them or take them away. It's easy enough to come up with other justifications that easily overlap your vendettas. Then it's about who has the better lawyers.

Retaliation in politics is awful - but let's not pretend this is some new emerging threat.
I feel this is too glib to describe what is happening here.

Sure, there has long been quid-pro-quo and politicians have always been less willing to look after companies that don't play ball with them. Are there really, though, lots of cases of the government introducing legislation specifically designed to harm the business interest of companies because their executive leadership expressed an opposing view on an unrelated policy issue?

Seems overly complacent to shrug that off as just how democracy functions.

drnilescrane

Creation of a new Community Development District requires the written consent of all landowners. Neither Disney nor any of the other landowners within the current District have to consent to a new CDD. This is also true for any other existing districts that would be dissolved.

Fair enough - but do you think Disney's really just going to say, ok fine have it your way we'll just become Orange/Osceola County now? And watch their infrastructure (especially Public Safety) fall apart in real time?

After reading the text of that bill I have no doubt it will pass this legislature. And I'm not sure what Disney's appeal path is.

lazyboy97o

Fair enough - but do you think Disney's really just going to say, ok fine have it your way we'll just become Orange/Osceola County now? And watch their infrastructure (especially Public Safety) fall apart in real time?

After reading the text of that bill I have no doubt it will pass this legislature. And I'm not sure what Disney's appeal path is.
It doesn’t have to be Disney directly. Every one of those hundreds of other districts would have to reach the same bar to be reorganized as a CDD. What is that in terms of bonds for which the state might become liable? How do you apportion liabilities if a new district is now significantly smaller than previously? Disney just needs people to point out that there are no guarantees of success, that this will likely require state tax dollars to be spent.

Disney themselves could buy the infrastructure from Reedy Creek. They could pay for additional service the way they pay for increased police presence. They could hold out for whatever period of time that allows the financial liabilities fall to the state.

CaptinEO

They were never a “very conservative company” as they were far more welcoming than your average institution in 1955. They have to be publicly liberal if they’re interested in retaining a majority of their employees and customers. And regardless, there are many in the company who just want to be, for equally valid reasons.
I do have to disagree. If they were removed from politics in terms of public messaging, I don't think they would have any issues.

McDonalds and Coca Cola and tons of other big companies exist without taking fake political stances for their audience.

Taking political stances in your publicity only serves to alienate a portion of people. Best to be neutral and not political IMO.

drnilescrane

It doesn’t have to be Disney directly. Every one of those hundreds of other districts would have to reach the same bar to be reorganized as a CDD.

Just read the legislative analysis, the districts affected are:

• Bradford County Development Authority, Bradford County.
• Sunshine Water Control District, Broward County.
• Eastpoint Water and Sewer District, Franklin County.
• Hamilton County Development Authority, Hamilton County.
• Marion County Law Library, Marion County.
• Reedy Creek Improvement District, Orange and Osceola Counties.

The bill will eliminate the revenues and expenditures of special districts impacted by the bill; however, any assets or liabilities will be transferred to the local general-purpose government or governments that have jurisdiction over the boundaries of the district.

So... Orange County [i.e. big blue's] problem. Would not bubble up to the State.

The cities of Lake Buena Vista and Bay Lake would also remain intact.

SpoiledBlueMilk

My bet? Lake Nona development is stopped, those jobs are turned either 100% remote, or moved to a more business friendly state presently not at the forefront of the culture war, like North Carolina or Virginia.

Much further down the line, Disney lowers investment into WDW and focuses on developments in other geos.

In the meanwhile, Florida's tax revenues dip, and job losses are blamed solely on the politicians who pushed Disney out.
As a Virginia resident I say, come on up to Northern VA! Maybe build that damn park Eisner wanted before the NIMBY idiots got their way.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Yes, correct. Sales Tax collected by Disney goes directly to FL Department of Revenue. Filing frequency may differ
Monthly/Quarterly/Annually. For me personally it is on a monthly basis for my business. It does not go to the local county or district.

Yes, it was monthly for us too. DoR would then submit the 1.5% extra to the county.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
The Villages' CDDs are run by people living in those communities for the betterment of those residents.

RCID is run by people beholden to The Walt Disney Company for the betterment of The Walt Disney Company.

There's a huge difference between the State of Florida doing something to improve the lives of people living in Florida versus a corporation headquartered 2,500 miles away.
RCID doesn’t bow down to every single thing TWDC wants, the district takes their job quite seriously and manages a lot of areas and things that have nothing to do with the theme parks.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Just read the legislative analysis, the districts affected are:

• Bradford County Development Authority, Bradford County.
• Sunshine Water Control District, Broward County.
• Eastpoint Water and Sewer District, Franklin County.
• Hamilton County Development Authority, Hamilton County.
• Marion County Law Library, Marion County.
• Reedy Creek Improvement District, Orange and Osceola Counties.

So... Orange County's problem. Not the states.

The cities of Lake Buena Vista and Bay Lake would also remain intact.

There are also 5 water management districts DeSantis has made vague threats about. A portion of your property taxes goes to the water management districts your home is located in.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom