News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Does anybody have any stats on how many false alarms there are a year? This sounds like overkill and punishment
My guess:

The firefighters are royally ticked when they have to respond to a false alarm.​
Disney doesn't punish those responsible for false alarms enough to their liking.​
The firefighters present this to the New Board.​
In order to curry favor with the firefighters and make themselves seem like the heroes, punishing those who make false alarms is now their top priority.​

lazyboy97o

Is there a precedent for this? Can he actually do anything?
There is the concept of amicus curiae (“friend of the court”) where entities that are not a party to a case can offer input, typically through a court submission known as an Amicus Brief. I don’t know how they would actually have standing to start their own legal action.
Not sure, but I can't see what the new board has to do with tax issues with the various counties. Other than justifying his pay and existence?
It is the basis for how their own taxes are collected. But it’s also intentionally not their job.

flynnibus

Premium Member
My guess:

The firefighters are royally ticked when they have to respond to a false alarm.​
Disney doesn't punish those responsible for false alarms enough to their liking.​
The firefighters present this to the New Board.​
In order to curry favor with the firefighters and make themselves seem like the heroes, punishing those who make false alarms is now their top priority.​
Mkre ghan likely its like…,

Ok we have thr fire department… what can we do to make disney pay more for…

Charging for false alarm dispatches isn’t uncommon btw…

lazyboy97o

Just where the heck are they going to put this housing? Do they not know what the district own is swamp
At what point does this become a violation of the Sunshine Laws? It sure seems like the Board has already decided that they want housing in the district. When was the work done to support this conclusion? When were the notices and public hearings? They’re pushing a policy that contradicts their state approved comprehensive plan that was never discussed in open, noticed meetings.

They also don’t seem to realize that these residents would have standing to challenge the legal validity of their position.

StaceyH_SD

I haven’t been listening since before Gilzean spoke but I made note of something Garcia said about Gilzean’s various duties. He mentioned that the new leglslation establishing CFTOD required them to provide “reports” to the legislature (i think? or state?). Is that true? He also said that they were going to need to bring on an urban planner at some point too.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

I haven’t been listening since before Gilzean spoke but I made note of something Garcia said about Golzean’s various duties. He mentioned that the new leglslation establishing CHFTOD required them to provide “reports” to the legislature (i think? or state?). Is that true? He also said that they were going to need to bring on an urban planner at some point too.
Yes, they’re required to report on which powers they don’t think they need anymore.

Figgy1

I haven’t been listening since before Gilzean spoke but I made note of something Garcia said about Golzean’s various duties. He mentioned that the new leglslation establishing CHFTOD required them to provide “reports” to the legislature (i think? or state?). Is that true? He also said that they were going to need to bring on an urban planner at some point too.
I guess the alligators need better housing and business opportunities

flynnibus

Premium Member
Jumping through Reedy Creek’s hoops and requirements is uncommon. We’re going to make you install these set ice systems and now we’re going to make you pay for what we demanded.
Like counties that require you to have municipal water… but make you pay for the infrastructure? Or new fire codes that require sprinklers in homes, but you pay for it etc.

Again, not supporting the motives… but for people unfamiliar these systems are not uncommon

MrPromey

Not sure, but I can't see what the new board has to do with tax issues with the various counties. Other than justifying his pay and existence?
Well, if they're trying to lean on Disney, they can't just collect money and keep it. They have to spend it and if they can put themselves on the hook for paying for things outside of the district, that would mean the money they collect from Disney (and others in the district) can be spent on things that may not provide any benefit to anyone being taxed there.

One would think the taxes collected for the two counties would cover the burdens of those in their tax district for those two counties, completely, but if these guys are looking to spend, this would be one way to do it without actually improving anything for the mouse while trying to make it sound like they're just being good public servants.

Last edited:

sblank

Well, if they're trying to lean on Disney, they can't just collect money and keep it. They have to spend it and if they can put themselves on the hook for paying for things outside of the district, that would mean the money they collect from Disney (and others in the district) can be spent on things that may not provide any benefit to anyone being taxed there.

One would think the taxes collected for the two counties would cover the burdens of those in their tax district, completely but if these guys are looking to spend, this would be one way to do it without actually improving anything for the mouse.
It's also a good way to funnel district money to your buddies who have no connection or reason to do business with Disney or the district.

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
At what point does this become a violation of the Sunshine Laws? It sure seems like the Board has already decided that they want housing in the district. When was the work done to support this conclusion? When were the notices and public hearings? They’re pushing a policy that contradicts their state approved comprehensive plan that was never discussed in open, noticed meetings.

They also don’t seem to realize that these residents would have standing to challenge the legal validity of their position.
There’s a few of us planning to speak at the May 24th meeting, this is definitely a point that can be brought up. They won’t respond but it gets it out in the open

Stripes

Premium Member
Where are they going to build the homes? Looking at RCID landholdings there isn’t anywhere they could build a significant number of homes. The only large area of land they own are wetlands and those wetlands are outside the jurisdiction of Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista so if the idea is to dismantle Disney’s control over the cities, that’s not going to work.

Furthermore, if they use eminent domain they‘d have to wait 10 years before building homes on Disney’s land.

capang

So what's the likelihood that today's actions by the board constitute enough potential irreparable harm that Disney pushes for an expedited injunction?
My question as well. Can disney add this to their lawsuit? Can it be amended to include whatever is said at board meetings?

JKick95

Where are they going to build the homes? Looking at RCID landholdings there isn’t anywhere they could build a significant number of homes. The only large area of land they own are wetlands and those wetlands are outside the jurisdiction of Bay Lake and Lake Buena Vista so if the idea is to dismantle Disney’s control over the cities, that’s not going to work.

Furthermore, if they use eminent domain they‘d have to wait 10 years before building homes on Disney’s land.
Just to better understand, why do they need to wait 10 years?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom