News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

disneylandtour

Maybe I am reading too much into it but it seems like they are using this as a way to say Disney is stopping the first responders from getting this deal. Making them look like the enemy.
I think the problem here is that the first responders are starting to realize that, with this lawsuit, all contracts made by the Florida Tourism board might be nullified if the board is removed. To put it plainly, they backed the removal of the Reedy Creek Board and now they are in a difficult political place because that same board may be reinstated and, in case it weren't obvious, they've indicated how deeply they opposed them. Admittedly, in this case, public safety seems a good reason. But in short, I think they're starting to wonder if they've screwed themselves by going with the Governor's plan.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
This is a big part of the reason I still think this is about press rather than punishing Disney, if the state really wanted to hurt Disney this would be the easiest and quickest way to do it, the fact they haven’t shows they still know a healthy Disney = a healthy Orlando.

110 degree Vegas heat with no humidity > 90 degree LA heat with 25% humidity > 80 degree Orlando heat with 75% humidity.

As a resident of the sun I’m often surprised by how miserable both LA and Orlando weather can feel, when its 105 where you live and the forecast says 80 degrees you expect to be comfortable on vacation but that’s often not the case in either city. Cool weather in LA is usually very nice at least, 50 degrees in Vegas is heaven, 50 degrees in LA is chilly, 50 degrees in humid Orlando feels like I’m freezing.
…what tipped you off this was all a publicity stunt?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think the problem here is that the first responders are starting to realize that, with this lawsuit, all contracts made by the Florida Tourism board might be nullified if the board is removed. To put it plainly, they backed the removal of the Reedy Creek Board and now they are in a difficult political place because that same board may be reinstated and, in case it weren't obvious, they've indicated how deeply they opposed them. Admittedly, in this case, public safety seems a good reason. But in short, I think they're starting to wonder if they've screwed themselves by going with the Governor's plan.
I don’t know what will happen but I’d be very disappointed if Disney and RCID didn’t honor the new contracts if they win in court and the old board is reinstated. Their first action should be to re-sign the Fire Department contract.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
If Disney were looking again for a new location for WDI, will they be able to match or beat the tax incentives offered by Florida?

Being close to the parks matters, but other things like available tax incentives can influence the location.

You don't think other states would be willing to have WDI relocated to their state, enticing Disney by tax incentives? Georgia had a booming film industry...the one that Florida ed away.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
If I was getting a generic light beer I always preferred Miller Lite but it has nothing to do with the ads. If it’s hot out and you can get one of those Bud Light Lime metal bottles from a bucket of ice or a low temp fridge it’s pretty refreshing. I’d rather just drink a local beer these days.
Miller lite was my cheap/light beer of choice as well. Mix it up more nowadays..except IPAs.

Vegas Disney Fan

…what tipped you off this was all a publicity stunt?

That a politician was involved. I’m still amazed it’s gone on for this long and to this extent, a year ago I was positive they’d quietly undo it and nothing would change, then I got concerned when they actually changed the board, now I’m back to thinking it’s just a publicity stunt that will have little to no affect on the parks, unfortunately it‘s resulted in some changes that will likely cause unnecessary bureaucratic headaches for both Disney and the state of Florida long after the PR perpetrators are gone.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If Disney were looking again for a new location for WDI, will they be able to match or beat the tax incentives offered by Florida?

Being close to the parks matters, but other things like available tax incentives can influence the location.
I think they should circle back around and get a deal from Newsome…cater to people, not cowfields
You don't think other states would be willing to have WDI relocated to their state, enticing Disney by tax incentives? Georgia had a booming film industry...the one that Florida ed away.
I think they could…but would he hesitant to go anywhere that may decide they’re “good fundraising potential” in the future.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That a politician was involved. I’m still amazed it’s gone on for this long and to this extent, a year ago I was positive they’d quietly undo it and nothing would change, then I got concerned when they actually changed the board, now I’m back to thinking it’s just a publicity stunt that will have little to no affect on the parks, unfortunately it‘s resulted in some changes that will likely cause unnecessary bureaucratic headaches for both Disney and the state of Florida long after the PR perpetrators are gone.
I’m just messing with you.

But I’m gonna stand on what I said day 1: stunt. And an easy to sniff one.

Florida legislature can do whatever it wants…is what it is…

But desantis got himself into a no win scenario now.

How do you “win”? Pick a fight with Disney…crass and most people LIKE wdw…

…or get it handed to you by Disney in public

lazyboy97o

I agree that consideration is probably the weakest argument but not for the reasons the attorneys you spoke with think.

As others have suggested, the implied consideration for development contracts is to improve land in order to increase tax revenue. Arguably, this is the primary reason for development contracts.

The actual wording in the development contract is:

Provision of Necessary Public Facilities. In order to facilitate the implementation of and provide adequate levels of service for the Maximum Development Program, certain public infrastructure systems will require new facilities and/or expansions of existing facilities (hereinafter referred to as the "Public Facilities"). The Public Facilities are listed in the Capital Improvement Element of the Comprehensive Plan a copy of which is attached hereto and incorporated herein as EXHIBIT 3, and will be funded, designed and constructed or cause to be constructed by RCID. Any land required for the Public Facilities that is owned by Master Developer shall be dedicated to RCID, or other public entity, as required. Compensation for said land dedication shall be negotiated between parties at the time of transfer but in no event shall Master Developer request payment for the land in excess of fair market value as determined by a Member of the Appraisal Institute (MAI) real estate appraiser, jointly selected by the Parties.​

This is garbage.

Disney is saying in effect, "If we build something and it requires a new road, bridge, sewer, etc. to support it, you RCID must pay for it but, hey, we're gonna sell you the land you need to build this at fair market value."

This is no consideration at all!

If the district attempted to take more than the "land required", Disney would certainly fight them in court.

If the district refused to build this infrastructure, Disney would take them to court.

If the district, for example, tried to take control of the entrance into the Magic Kingdom by eminent domain, Disney most assuredly would fight it.

Disney has given the district nothing, other than "permission" to pay for and build infrastructure Disney needs for projects that Disney decides to build.

Again, the true consideration is increased tax revenue from land improvement.
The contract assumes the district is operating in good faith. So yes, removing barriers and streamlining the process is a benefit to the district, along with the inherent benefits assumed by a development agreement.

disneylandtour

Fundamentally speaking, anytime you alienate even a small portion of your customers, it is bad for the bottom line.
So there's a counterpart to this that Disney has no doubt considered. Is alienating a small portion of your customer base offset by an increase to your customer base elsewhere or by an increase in another area that has financial value, such as loyalty of employees? There's a calculation here, but you're only focusing on one aspect of it.

lazyboy97o

No, the way this contract is written, the district has become a vassal of Disney.

Disney gets to build whatever projects it wants without input from the district, and the district must build and pay for the infrastructure to support those projects. Otherwise, Disney will take them to court for breech.

This development agreement completely flips the traditional relationship between local government and business.
These types of agreements aren’t new. Universal said they wanted a bridge and Orlando had to build it because that’s the structure of their agreement. They have agreements to get other services as well. There’s no point to a development agreement if at any time the local government can effectively renege by not providing required services.

Chip Chipperson

No, the way this contract is written, the district has become a vassal of Disney.

Disney gets to build whatever projects it wants without input from the district, and the district must build and pay for the infrastructure to support those projects. Otherwise, Disney will take them to court for breach.

This development agreement completely flips the traditional relationship between local government and business.
In the end, Disney would be "demanding" to pay more taxes in such a scenario. Hardly a negative for the District.

Rhinocerous

Premium Member
I may be misunderstanding the situation, but couldn’t the Fire Department thing be read as one more way for the board to shaft Disney while ingratiating themselves to the firefighters?

What I mean is won’t Disney ultimately be paying for the new contract via increased taxation and fees? If this is the case (and it may not be) then the board is sticking the big D with an added expense it has been fighting while generating goodwill with the hose slingers. At virtually no cost to them.

This is IF I grasp the situation correctly, which I may not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom