News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
That is interesting if true. (no saying its not, I just don't know). Disney paid MORE taxes with RCID. Interesting.

What about the RCID bonds? that didn't help TWDC?

I am just asking. I have no idea.

DeSantis is stupider than I thought.

Is his staff stupid too?

Actually, the knee jerk reaction of dissolving RCID left no time for real thought or evaluation by anyone in his circle, I guess.
Here's the screenshot I posted yesterday of Disney's property tax bill for 2022 JUST for the Magic Kingdom. Not the parking lot, not the TTC - JUST the park.

The relevant parts: They pay to Orange County, Orange County Schools, plus to RCID and RCID's debt service separately.

1683049076548.png

Anyway, RCID's bonds helped Disney acquire financing at below market rates - that's it. Which realistically they could do without, since Disney wouldn't have issue getting loans if needed from private lenders.

LittleBuford

For speaking out against the original bill. It’s Not saying they couldn’t do it just that people don’t think they should have because they agree with the bill.
I get that, but I don’t understand how someone can simultaneously criticise Disney for speaking out and acknowledge that DeSantis’s reaction is unacceptable. Those seem like mutually exclusive positions to me.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Thats very bad, it will uncover the sweet deal they had for 50 years.
WDW paid $1.1 Billion in local and state taxes in 2022.

On top of that, they then paid hundreds of millions to RCID for the infrastructure on their property which they own with almost no help from the county and state to whom they paid $1.1 Billion in local and state taxes in 2022.

Is that how you define "sweet deal"?

mkt

Premium Member
Here's the screenshot I posted yesterday of Disney's property tax bill for 2022 JUST for the Magic Kingdom. Not the parking lot, not the TTC - JUST the park.

The relevant parts: They pay to Orange County, Orange County Schools, plus to RCID and RCID's debt service separately.

View attachment 714142

Anyway, RCID's bonds helped Disney acquire financing at below market rates - that's it. Which realistically they could do without, since Disney wouldn't have issue getting loans if needed from private lenders.
Here's a fun one.

The Wedding Pavilion. Which while TINY, still has to pay about $100k in property taxes for 2022.

Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 1.43.00 PM.png

Brian

You and everybody who feels that way has the option of not spending any money with Disney entities
Of course. Heck, I did one better: I left Disney after several decades of service and a cushy, well-paying job in middle management primarily because I was unhappy with their politics (along with a couple other secondary reasons).

I get that, but I don’t understand how someone can simultaneously criticise Disney for speaking out and acknowledge that DeSantis’s reaction is unacceptable. Those seem like mutually exclusive positions to me.
They're not mutually exclusive because one can disagree with government retaliation while also holding the position that Disney made a PR misstep.

This comes across as victim blaming, which is why you’re continually met with what you characterise as a bad-faith retort.
Victim blaming is free speech.

mkt

Premium Member
You're right. Notice that the government isn't taking action against you for it, rather private individuals with no state powers are just criticizing you.

That's free speech.

You can say something and I - a private citizen - can call you out on it. That is free speech.

But when you say it, and then you are arrested or other legal action is taken against you by those in power, that is NOT free speech.

I'm glad you understand the difference.

Well done!

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Andrew Warren is the elected prosecutor that DeSantis removed from office.

The next one on his list looks to be the Orange-Osceola prosecutor Monique Worrell. There seems to be a long backstory here. But, unless I’m wrong, replacing her with a DeSantis crony could protect the current CFTOD board from prosecutorial scrutiny over any sunshine law violations.

Florida law contains a provision to remove an elected official - it's called a RECALL election. She holds the office because the voters in the Ninth Judicial District of the state put her there. Let THEM decide if she should be removed and who to replace her with.

Fordlover

Really? Mutually exclusive? Seems like a partisan take.
I believe Disney and the board should be focused on their fiduciary duty to the shareholders, and I don't believe that weighing in on political matters falls within that duty. Especially when it could be perceived to alienate parents of young children, their target audience for the parks, thus negatively hitting the bottom line.
I believe retaliatory behavior from those in government is inappropriate.

LittleBuford

They're not mutually exclusive because one can disagree with government retaliation while also holding the position that Disney made a PR misstep.
But whether something is a PR mistake or not has zero bearing on the issue of government retaliation. Those who link the two are implicitly endorsing DeSantis’s claim that Disney played a role in creating this mess. It did not.

No-one is trying to silence you. Disagreement is not an assault on your free speech.

Brian

You're right. Notice that the government isn't taking action against you for it, rather private individuals with no state powers are just criticizing you.

That's free speech.

You can say something and I - a private citizen - can call you out on it. That is free speech.

But when you say it, and then you are arrested or other legal action is taken against you by those in power, that is NOT free speech.

I'm glad you understand the difference.

Well done!
This is exactly what I was talking about. You're either assuming that I don't think that DeSantis was wrong to retaliate against Disney for exercising their free speech rights, or worse, making that statement in bad faith because you dislike my opinion.

I shouldn't have to update my signature to include a disclaimer saying "If this post is in the RCID thread, please note that DeSantis was wrong to retaliate against Disney and nothing in the post above should be construed to mean anything to the contrary." As @Dan Deesnee wisely pointed out, social issues are quite nuanced.

Disstevefan1

WDW paid $1.1 Billion in local and state taxes in 2022.

On top of that, they then paid hundreds of millions to RCID for the infrastructure on their property which they own with almost no help from the county and state to whom they paid $1.1 Billion in local and state taxes in 2022.

Is that how you define "sweet deal"?
It's interesting, would TWDC paid more taxes with RCID or less taxes with RCID?

Its sure sounding like the answer will depend on what side of the fight you are on.

Whatever is the truth, I would have let RCID be (it was my opinion from the start to let it be) like it was for the last 50 something years, letting them have (whatever advantages) they would get out of it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom