News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
It's interesting, would TWDC paid more taxes with RCID or less taxes with RCID?

Its sure sounding like the answer will depend on what side of the fight you are on.

Whatever is the truth, I would have let RCID be (it was my opinion from the start to let it be) like it was for the last 50 something years, letting them have (whatever advantages) they would get out of it.
There's no "my truth or your truth", there's just the truth: Disney would have paid less without RCID, but then all of Orange and Osceola County's taxpayers would have paid more as a result.

It really is that simple.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Yes for sure. One of the arguments the state may try to make is the legislature passed the bill and not DeSantis. Technically true but where that argument gets flimsy is that he asked for and got a special session called to approve the original bill. It can’t be legislative business as usual and a special session. If the state uses this argument they may say that the Governor’s speech and will is not in question but the legislature still acted in good faith. You don’t have each member who voted yes for the bill writing a book and bragging about it. If there is evidence of the Governor’s team calling or texting or e-mailing members of the legislature and discussion of the real motive for the bill that’s good evidence to introduce. We know from reporting the Governor doesn’t take calls from anyone (even big donors) so it’s likely the communication would be between a staffer and the members of the legislature. That could come out from discovery.

And those staffers, who have NO career service protections and serve at the pleasure of the governor, would have been FIRED if those communications differed from the governor's position.

mikejs78

Premium Member
They should have handled their people better internally, telling them they are working behind the scenes to change the law.

This comes across as victim blaming, which is why you’re continually met with what you characterise as a bad-faith retort.

I get that, but I don’t understand how someone can simultaneously criticise Disney for speaking out and acknowledge that DeSantis’s reaction is unacceptable. Those seem like mutually exclusive positions to me.

I'm going to defend @Brian - I don't think they are mutually opposing positions. If someone doesn't agree with what Disney said, they can simultaneously disagree with the speech/make personal choices based on that speech, and recognize that the government has no role in punishing the speech they disagree with.

To quote Evelyn Beatrice Hall (and often misattributed to Voltaire), "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Disstevefan1

Here's the screenshot I posted yesterday of Disney's property tax bill for 2022 JUST for the Magic Kingdom. Not the parking lot, not the TTC - JUST the park.

The relevant parts: They pay to Orange County, Orange County Schools, plus to RCID and RCID's debt service separately.

View attachment 714142

Anyway, RCID's bonds helped Disney acquire financing at below market rates - that's it. Which realistically they could do without, since Disney wouldn't have issue getting loans if needed from private lenders.
The numbers are meaningless to me. But if TWDC paid MORE TAXES under RCID than its obvious it was a HUGE MISTAKE to touch RCID.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Another random one - The Cast Services Building for the All Star Resorts pay $65k. So something guests don't even see or that generate any revenue for TWDC still pay.

Screenshot 2023-05-02 at 1.59.52 PM.png

RamblinWreck

I get that, but I don’t understand how someone can simultaneously criticise Disney for speaking out and acknowledge that DeSantis’s reaction is unacceptable. Those seem like mutually exclusive positions to me.
🤷‍♂️

I’m not in that camp but it doesn’t seem difficult to grasp.

You can disagree with someone without thinking they deserve to be persecuted by the government.

Figgy1

Of course. Heck, I did one better: I left Disney after several decades of service and a cushy, well-paying job in middle management primarily because I was unhappy with their politics (along with a couple other secondary reasons).

They're not mutually exclusive because one can disagree with government retaliation while also holding the position that Disney made a PR misstep.

Victim blaming is free speech.
Your right to do so
One is much different than the other
As is your right to do so, it doesn't mean others can't disagree with your position

LAKid53

Premium Member
That is interesting if true. (no saying its not, I just don't know). Disney paid MORE taxes with RCID. Interesting.

Because of the assessment from RCID, TWDC paid more in LOCAL taxes than it would if the only local tax to be paid was property taxes levied by Orange and Osceola Counties. I've looked at some of the property tax bills from Orange County.

What about the RCID bonds? that didn't help TWDC?

And residents of both Orange and Osceola counties as WE didn't have to pay for the infrastructure work...or the bonds...the revenue from the sale of the bonds was used for.

Is his staff stupid too?

Some. But more will follow the orders of the guy who can fire them on the spot.

Figgy1

Brian

As is your right to do so, it doesn't mean others can't disagree with your position
I never said nobody can disagree. This is a discussion forum, I welcome it.

I mind tremendously the implication that disagreement with Disney's actions leading up to DeSantis' retaliatory action means I am OK with said (retaliatory) actions, or worse, that I don't recognize or cherish the right to free speech in the United States.

Last edited:

Fordlover

Universal, Apple, Starbucks, Hilton, Hyatt, and over 100+ businesses all weighed in on this “political matter.”
Good for them.
I'm not a shareholder of those companies. But I am of Disney. So when the the company makes a step that affects the stock value, it affects me. Thus I am not impressed when they commit an unforced error. Especially when they have fiduciary duty to me.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I can't speak for others, but I have criticized Disney's statement against the parental rights legislation. Just because Disney has the right to speak without fear of retaliation doesn't mean they should.

That's bullocks. The 1st Amendment not only GIVES us the right to speak out against the actions of government, but James Madison and the other members of the Constitutional Convention EXPECTED citizens to do so. As they had done.

LAKid53

Premium Member
WDW paid $1.1 Billion in local and state taxes in 2022.

On top of that, they then paid hundreds of millions to RCID for the infrastructure on their property which they own with almost no help from the county and state to whom they paid $1.1 Billion in local and state taxes in 2022.

Is that how you define "sweet deal"?

And in all of this, the state hasn't rescinded the $586 million tax incentive provided to TWDC to move WDI to Central Florida.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom