News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Listening to the FL Senate and heard Universal and SeaWorld aren't in special districts when actually are. Not as broad as RCID, but it's incorrect to say they are not. BGT and Legoland aren't.

The district Uni is in was created by the City of Orlando and its objectives are different. Haven't researched what type of district SeaWorld is in. However, that doesn't justify the actions of the state related to WDW.

Disstevefan1

I'm actively telling my friends to go elsewhere on vacation
We are at this point because of DeSantis.

Will tourism to central Florida drop off in any amount to be significant? I think not, because for every person or family who stop going to cental Florida, there are many more first timers from around the globe who have no idea what this is all about or what's going on.

But still sad.

Disstevefan1

Nothing Disney has done in reaction to the government moves has been for show.
Just my opinion, but after the fact (it's so easy to make judgements after the fact), it sure feels like it was for show.

TWDC could have kept quiet and used their HUGE POWER behind the scenes to reverse the don't say gay bill.

I am ready to get flamed now.

afterabme

The district Uni is in was created by the City of Orlando and its objectives are different. Haven't researched what type of district SeaWorld is in. However, that doesn't justify the actions of the state related to WDW.
The one where SeaWorld is the International Drive Community Redevelopment Agency, formed in 1998 by Orange County.

Formation Resolution: https://www.ocfl.net/portals/0/Library/Traffic-Transportation/docs/I-Drive Resolution 6-8-2022-CERT.pdf
Kind of surprising BGT never asked for one from Tampa, Busch Blvd needs some work done and is reliant on Tampa/Hillsborough to dedicate funding.

RamblinWreck

Just my opinion, but after the fact (it's so easy to make judgements after the fact), it sure feels like it was for show.

TWDC could have kept quiet and used their HUGE POWER behind the scenes to reverse the don't say gay bill.

I am ready to get flamed now.
100% their little announcement about the Parental Rights bill was for show. It was all to try to put out the flames with their employees who were upset and nothing more.

lazyboy97o

LAKid53

Premium Member
We’ll see, this feud makes me think of the videos where dogs are barking and growling at each other when they’re separated by a gate but stop the second the gate is open. It’s all for show.

To the contrary. Disney issued a statement in support of CMs. The STATE - make that the governor - decided to escalate rather than just saying, "you're entitled to your opinion, we think you are wrong, blah, blah, blah" and let it go. This governor has demonstrated that he's perfectly willing to use the power of his office and the state to punish any entity or individual, including elected ones, who disagree with him. Our school superintendent will probably be removed from office. Because he supported students. A state attorney was removed for exercising prosecutorial discretion, a concept DeSantis should have been familiar with from his days with the US attorney's office. A second state attorney's job is in jeopardy because she made the decision on what to prosecute for. Citizens in this state voted for Home Rule. They've not subsequently voted against it. What has been happening, if not a clear violation of the state constitution with regards to Home Rule, is certainly a violation of the spirit of the law.

Disney had no choice but to protect its property and how it conducts ITS business on that property. It had broken no law. It should not be punished.

The one making it "for show" is the state. Not the corporation bring punished.

mikejs78

Premium Member
I don’t think discovery will reveal all that much more than his own public statements have already laid bare. He hasn’t been shy about the fact that his actions are retaliatory; on the contrary, he’s brandished it as a matter of pride.

Agreed. Normally you would comb through e-mail and phone records in the hope of finding a smoking gun that points to an intent to retaliate. This time the Governor made it easy…..he wrote a book bragging about it🤡🤡🤡

I think what would be interesting to find in discovery is emails or communication between DeSantis and the legislature on this topic.

LAKid53

Premium Member
I think what would be interesting to find in discovery is emails or communication between DeSantis and the legislature on this topic.

Agree. Those would further bolster Disney's position. The governor's office routinely communicates with members of the Legislature. But those emails will negate his position that "it wasn't me, it was them".

Vegas Disney Fan

Nothing Disney has done in reaction to the government moves has been for show. I would even say, Disney has specifically avoided doing anything remotely related to just PR. They were super quiet when we were all wondering how they would respond. Each Disney step has been purposeful and with direct impact. Even if smaller than many would predict, specifically because they are not doing show.

The Government passed through just for show and into actual impact long ago. Each passed bill is direct impact and no longer just show. Each board action is direct impact and no longer show.

We could imagine that talk about controlling Disney content is still just show, since they haven't taken any action to exert that control yet. But, that feels very superficial. All the actions they have taken indicate that they're trying to achieve the leverage for this exact action.

I was talking from the perspective of DeSantis and the board, not Disney, the Government side has been barking and growling since day one, Disney has been trying to de-escalate since day one.

I’d argue the bills passed so far are all show too, a board who controls water management, roads, etc… it could impact operations but likely won’t (imho) but are a thorn in Disneys side, monorail inspections… they could impact operations but likely won’t (imho) but are a thorn in Disney side.

The Gov wants to look like he‘s in control but nothing has given him any real power over Disney (yet), influence but not power.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

There are people who also want to leave the state and will leave the state. Likely not enough to offset all of the recent newcomers, but enough to be noticed.
Not sure what, "but enough to be noticed" means. There are so many entering the state, anyone leaving with not be noticed.

A really good indicator would be the comparing cost of renting a U-haul going to Florida compared to renting a U-haul leaving Florida.

When it's more expensive to rent a U-haul to leave Florida, that would be a good indicator more folks are leaving Florida.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom