News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Brian

Gov. DeSantis is addressing a reporter's question regarding the lawsuit filed by the CFTOD board today. Once the live stream ends, I'll link to the question and his answer.

Spoiler alert: nothing new or special.

Smiley/OCD

I can't find it in this thread, but can someone tell me what taxes the businesses at Disney Springs pay that would be affected by RCID raising taxes?
As I said on 10 or so pages back, the individual businesses don’t pay a separate tax…in most cases, the landlords tax assessments are included in the tenant’s CAM (common area maintenance) charges…a landlord’s property taxes are USUALLY split amongst the tenants per square foot

Brian

Gov. DeSantis is addressing a reporter's question regarding the lawsuit filed by the CFTOD board today. Once the live stream ends, I'll link to the question and his answer.

Spoiler alert: nothing new or special.

I can't get it to embed properly here. The question and his answer begins at 1:06:09.

ETA: Since apparently this needs to be said, my sharing this video does not necessarily constitute an endorsement of the content.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

I don’t consider the US Constitution a waste of time and I’m happy that Disney doesn’t see it that way either. 🤷🏼‍♀️
The lawyers and Disney agree with you.

Its fortunate that TWDC has money rolling in from the theme parks. They are going to need it to pay the layers.

Last edited by a moderator:

MagicHappens1971

Universal is super happy Disney is taking on this fight to keep control of their special district, er I mean, to defend free speech.

Its fortunate that TWDC has money rolling in from the theme parks. They are going to need it to pay the layers.
Why do you keep bringing up Universal? It has nothing to do with any of this.

Also regardless of your feelings about RCID and it's previous incarnation, DeSantis turned this into a free speech battle the moment he assaulted their first amendment rights.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I can't get it to embed properly here. The question and his answer begins at 1:06:09.

ETA: Since apparently this needs to be said, my sharing this video does not necessarily constitute an endorsement of the content.

This is a classic he who smelled it dealt it defense 😂😂😂😂

Does he really think people are that dumb? He said he didn’t know the district was filing the lawsuit today. Ok….yeah sure.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Universal is super happy Disney is taking on this fight to keep control of their special district, er I mean, to defend free speech.

Universal has the same customer base as Disney. They have a higher level of locals, but they don’t pay the bills visiting on an AP. The tourists they depend on are the same tourists visiting WDW. Any drop in tourism hurts them just as much. It’s a silly fanboy argument that people only choose between Universal and Disney so bad for Disney means good for Universal. The reality is bad for Disney means bad for every other business in FL.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
From where to where? I believe you, I just can't picture it.

Nobody lives West of property. I-4, even with traffic, is going to be your most direct route for anything between ChampionsGate and Doctor Phillips. Western Way to Buena Vista Drive might be faster than 192 but what's over there on the Western Way side?

An entire area called Horizons West.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
More incomprehensible flailing that, on the surface, makes them look ignorant or incompetent. If they win at the Federal level, a state suit is unnecessary, and if they lose at the federal level, a state suit is moot, so what's their play here?
  • They somehow genuinely think that a win at the state level has some bearing on the outcome regardless of the federal case
  • They think that if they get a crony state judge to rush through a judgement in their favor before the federal case is heard, it gives them more leverage
  • They're panicking and just throwing everything they can at the wall, even if they know it won't work.
  • It's more of the governor's table-banging tantrum
  • It's all just political theater (or "theatre" for the Brits, Canucks, & Aussies)
  • Some combination of the above
  • To appease the people who want to believe the state and state appointed board is doing nothing wrong.
From that angle, they would’ve wondered why Ron and his crew are just standing there letting themselves get sued? Could’ve even provoked them into looking further into the details, oh the horror. Easiest strategy is to slap back a suit to appease these folks wanting to trust the state‘s not doing anything wrong.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
From where to where? I believe you, I just can't picture it.

Nobody lives West of property. I-4, even with traffic, is going to be your most direct route for anything between ChampionsGate and Doctor Phillips. Western Way to Buena Vista Drive might be faster than 192 but what's over there on the Western Way side?
They developed that area. It's called Horizons West/Hamlin, and it's west of WDW right up until the lake county line, and north until SR50ish.

It's all either City of Winter Garden or unincorporated Orange County. To get to I4 from that area, the quickest toll-free way is through Disney property

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Considering the crowd he’s aiming to please….I retract my question
I am honestly not sure I know who he is aiming to please at this point...even me who has concerns about a few social issues out there and don't align with Disney over their response to the particular legislation they called out, well he's not pleasing me...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom