News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Kamikaze

Actually i disagree. Normally they would gran injunction especially where if you don't could be impossible to unravel and Disney could be caused irreparable harm.
Yes, and they are talking about making unrepairable changes to lands that Disney and the District own/control. An injunction is necessary.

Paragraph 187 from the filing:

Disney has a significant interest in its own contracts, which have been directly targeted by the Legislative Declaration. Disney faces concrete, imminent, and ongoing injury as a result of the contractual impairment.
I don't see how an injunction ISN'T granted.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That's an effed up thing to say, and honestly, comes across like a thinly veiled attempt to get me to continue arguing about the China bit, which, as the conversation progressed, became more and more off topic.

I'm legitimately trying to put a stop to it, yet you and others apparently want the conversation to drift off topic.

When you argue a point that is controversial, you do tend to get quite a few people retorting with varying arguments. As you respond to each of them, the conversation becomes harder and harder to keep on topic and relevant to your original point.

As always, PMs are open for you or anyone else who wants to have a good faith discussion about the China topic, but I'm not having it here.
…the language!!

it happens to all of us. This is ultimately a debate forum and he got you with a clean haymaker.

No big deal.

But it’s not to be construed as support/not support for egregious human rights violations.
There is no argument there.

BuzzedPotatoHead89

Depends on the timing. 95% of the root cause of all of this is DeSantis running for POTUS. A year from now that will likely not be an issue so if the legislature wanted to compromise they could even if he tries to veto. There will be no compromise until DeSantis’s POTUS campaign is over so not in the next year or so.

I think Disney would absolutely prefer a settlement. They don’t care about “winning” some political argument. They just want to move forward running their company as they see fit.
DeSantis is young and will run again in 2028 so I don’t see much incentive for him to moderate in a year. Similarly, should DeSantis resign, the state’s LG - even if they wanted to seek detentè with TWDC - will be locked in a tough place with both the base/voters and the legislature (since this is now statute and can’t be undone via EO or regulation) if they’re seen as capitulating.

The only way I see this ending is if Disney wins in court and forces a policy-based compromise resolution back in the hands of the legislature who will approach this begrudgingly.

Brian

…the language!!

it happens to all of us. This is ultimately a debate forum and he got you with a clean haymaker.

No big deal.

But it’s not to be construed as support/not support for egregious human rights violations.
There is no argument there.
I have admitted several times amidst these 800 pages when I was wrong. I don't need to use "trending off topic" as an excuse to end an argument I think I'm losing.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So is this an example of escalating to de-escalate?

Threaten to sue and file suit but later settle?
Maybe. I think Disney worked on a compromise this summer. If reporting was accurate at the time the legislature was on board. We even had quotes from members suggesting they were willing to negotiate now that Iger was back. That compromise fell through because it was reported in the media as “DeSantis backing down” and he was triggered by that, killing the compromise. Flash forward to today and we had the first official action by the board causing injury to Disney when they claimed the contracts were void. So Disney sued and added in the 1a pieces too. I don’t think they saw any avenue to negotiate or compromise at this point.

There is really no up side for the state of FL or it’s residents here. Disney wins the lawsuit and they go back to business as usual with the state footing a huge legal bill for both sides. Disney loses the lawsuit and the state’s top employer and catalyst for its most important industry is damaged. That doesn’t help one person living in the state, at least not anyone who eats pudding with a spoon. So while Disney would have been glad to compromise and may still be willing under optimal conditions they saw no way to get what they wanted without the lawsuit.

Brian

They could try dissolving again but it would mean actually dealing with serious questions such as the bonds. They’d have to do everything by the book which means serious time and effort.
This is the thing I keep coming back to. The legislature and governor haven't yet shown the ability to think more than one step ahead.
Not only that, the governor and members of the legislature would need to learn how to keep their mouths shut. DeSantis literally wrote part of Disney's argument for them in his book.

I think there would also need to be a "cooling off" period, realistically. They can't have a second go-around right after being beaten in court.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
DeSantis is young and will run again in 2028 so I don’t see much incentive for him to moderate in a year. Similarly, should DeSantis resign, the state’s LG - even if they wanted to seek detentè with TWDC - will be locked in a tough place with both the base/voters and the legislature (since this is now statute and can’t be undone via EO or regulation) if they’re seen as capitulating.

The only way I see this ending is if Disney wins in court and forces a policy-based compromise resolution back in the hands of the legislature who will approach this begrudgingly.
DeSantis doesn’t have to moderate. If he’s a lame duck Governor in a year or so with 2.5 years left and a failed POTUS run on his resume the legislature can act without his blessing. He controls them now due to his popularity escalated by his potential POTUS run but eventually that will wear on guys who have their own careers. I’m not saying it will happen but it could.

fgmnt

They could try dissolving again but it would mean actually dealing with serious questions such as the bonds. They’d have to do everything by the book which means serious time and effort.
Is it possible that a judgement in favor of RCID under 1A grounds could subject the state to a cooling off period where they can’t craft any legislation to negatively target the district for a certain amount of time?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not only that, the governor and members of the legislature would need to learn how to keep their mouths shut. DeSantis literally wrote part of Disney's argument for them in his book.

I think there would also need to be a "cooling off" period, realistically. They can't have a second go-around right after being beaten in court.
Yeah I don’t envy the guys that have to pull together this defense. We all talk about over paid lawyers but in this case they will be earning every penny of that money

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Is it possible that a judgement in favor of RCID under 1A grounds could subject the state to a cooling off period where they can’t craft any legislation to negatively target the district for a certain amount of time?
I think it would. It may not be a formal period defined in the ruling but it would be difficult for the Governor as long as he’s in office to go for a redo. The legislature is all term limited as well so say in 10 years when nobody involved in this will be in the same positions it could be done then.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom