News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This assumes the front line state workers would be acting in bad faith, which I think is a bit unfair. Most state workers, especially the front liners, are not partisans and just want to make an honest living like those in the private sector.

Sure, they take orders from partisans higher up in the org chart, but to assume that they will all just acquiesce and not blow the whistle, and inspectors will descend on WDW and just randomly shutdown the monorails just to own the libs is a bit much.

Assuming the inspectors act in good faith, I'd say it's a good thing if there are shutdowns of the monorail system. It means there are safety concerns being identified which would (presumably) otherwise go unaddressed.
Seriously? If the intent was to do inspections in good faith then why not just pass a law that covers all fixed rail transit systems in the state? Why carve out special districts that cover more than one county? I think the answer is obvious. There’s no reason to even consider for a second that these inspections would be done in good faith.

lazyboy97o

You can't have findings without evidence. What you're reading are allegations of the Board, which taken as true, support the action they are asking counsel to take.
Right, I just don’t think the title has any particular added significance. I don’t doubt there is evidence either. I have not gone back to do a more thorough read, but as I said previously, I didn’t notice much in the way of referencing the original District charter which was state law at the time. I find that peculiar and it makes me doubt the conclusions because we know the charter had a clause regarding subsequent state laws.

I‘m also not sure how prior actions might hurt the old district’s case. My understanding is that the District did do some things (I don’t know specifics) to align with subsequent state law but held the position that they were not required to comply. I don’t know if doing some requirements but not others might create room for the argument that the District have done all or nothing, and that doing some is evidence that they should have been required to comply.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Seriously? If the intent was to do inspections in good faith then why not just pass a law that covers all fixed rail transit systems in the state? Why carve out special districts that cover more than one county? I think the answer is obvious. There’s no reason to even consider for a second that these inspections would be done in good faith.

And if anyone doesn't think the state isn't capable of using its bureaucratic power to impede the operations of a private company, think again.

Been there, done that.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I agree, the board cannot simply declare a contract void. But they are effectively taking a stance that they do not intend to honor it.

As I understand, the purpose of the newly proposed legislation is to void the contract. I’m not sure the board has to act since, by law, the contract will be void.

Since there will be a state law voiding the contract, I think this means Disney will have to initiate the lawsuit.

As you point out, Disney probably will challenge the law as unconstitutional.

Frankly, I’m just not sure since I’ve never seen anything like this before.

But at least Disney has turned this into a contract dispute, which I suspect was their strategy all along.
I agree. Right now if the district declares the existing contract void in a public meeting that’s meaningless. If the legislature passes the bill allowing districts to void existing contracts then the district will have the legal authority to void the contract. At that point Disney would need to challenge the bill itself or the voiding of their specific contract or both. I agree that as a contract dispute this is a much better position for Disney.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Of course, but his ultimate goal is to make corporate life as difficult as possible for the mouse…

True. But the officers really have more important roles. Like making sure people aren't catching red fish that are undersized or in quantities not allowed by law.

peter11435

You think the State of Florida shuts down from 5 PM to 8AM? It doesn't.
Disney already employs qualified inspectors.

These inspections already happen during overnight hours.

If the state was genuinely interested in improving safety and oversight they would apply these inspections to everyone.

The fact that they have singled out Disney is proof (as if we didn’t already know) that this is more attempts to punish and challenge Disney.

If the goal is to make things harder for WDW then why would they bend over backwards to perform these inspections at convenient times for Disney.

durangojim

If the state was genuinely interested in improving safety and oversight they would apply these inspections to everyone.

The fact that they have singled out Disney is proof (as if we didn’t already know) that this is more attempts to punish and challenge Disney.

If the goal is to make things harder for WDW then why would they bend over backwards to perform these inspections at convenient times for Disney.
I think this whole thing is stupid but I do have to wonder how so many problems over the past few years (doors opening, frequent breakdowns, etc) got past the “qualified inspectors”. Maybe this is the one silver lining which will come out of this whole inane thing. Also wouldn’t everyone just prefer them to replace the monorails with the sky liner at this point?

mikejs78

Premium Member
I think this whole thing is stupid but I do have to wonder how so many problems over the past few years (doors opening, frequent breakdowns, etc) got past the “qualified inspectors”. Maybe this is the one silver lining which will come out of this whole inane thing. Also wouldn’t everyone just prefer them to replace the monorails with the sky liner at this point?
No. My wife can't ride the skyliner, makes her motion sick.

LAKid53

Premium Member

I know that. Current Florida law provides an exemption from state performed inspections that both Disney and Uni meet. So, yes, the current proposed bill singles out Disney by the description of which entity would fall under state inspection. Got news for the Legislature...Uni also resides in a special district...one created by the City of Orlando.

The state is inching close to bill of attainder territory.

LAKid53

Premium Member

How much of that $17B would be eaten up by this?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
While some view these as allegations, they’re stylized as “legislative findings” in the current document on the website. Finding suggests an evidentiary basis. Whether they’ll be viewed as such or given such deference by a later court is anyone’s guess, but that’s how it’s being propounded.

Are we ignoring what Len Testa posted a few days back from the RCID charter? It seems like the only findings in that write up are related to notice, but the original Charter may in fact exempt the district from having to provide that notice. Here is the post in case anyone missed it:

You know, going back and reading the original RCID charter, Section 23(3)(d) , which deals with zoning laws and comprehensive plans, might say the Board isn’t required to give notice.

View attachment 711438

Smiley/OCD

Again, this SAME story about the door…it happened in 2018…if it’s such a problem, where are ALL the press reports about the chronic poor conditions of the monorails…if I had 10 thousand dollars for every time a monorail door fell off, you know what? I’d be just as poor as I am right now…

LAKid53

Premium Member
Are we ignoring what Len Testa posted a few days back from the RCID charter? It seems like the only findings in that write up are related to notice, but the original Charter may in fact exempt the district from having to provide that notice. Here is the post in case anyone missed it:

The question would then be does a special district charter have the power to supercede state statute?

Disorbust

There is no silver lining. This will given the excuse to boot the monorail, at least the Epcot extension, if this becomes reality. I give Disney credit that they are playing it cool and not saying "we re-evaluating our future 17 billion Cappex in Florida."

What I am most disgusted by is that the legislators are just following lock step behind DeSantis. Then again Trump went after Harley Davidson with the tariffs and they have Been struggling since.

I don't doubt that TDC is re-evaluating future plans. If you look at the trend for new sport stadiums, it's for "less capacity." They can make a larger ROI with a smaller footprint. Something I think could be applied to theme parks, boutique small parks at more than one location and charge a hell of a price.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Why would we assume state inspectors would be more thorough than Disney hired inspectors? Doesn’t Disney have the most to lose if there is any sort of accident with the monorail? This isn’t a fly by night amusement park which might cut corners to save a few bucks. It would be far more costly if there was an accident.

Skyliner vs monorail is a valid debate, but that should be Disney’s call based on guest feedback and/or their own plan. it shouldn’t be decided by a guy looking for vengeance over a failed career move. With that being said I actually think a skyliner could be a better replacement for the MK ferry. A short route over the lake and it could funnel guests in more quickly and efficiently.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom