News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

lazyboy97o

Question 1: they mentions Disney sets their own utility rates. I they referring to something in the Comprehensive plan? Specifically this? If so, isn't "The District" in this case be CFOwhatever other letters are supposed to be here. Or is there another agreement somewhere else that says Disney tells the district what it will pay. (I'm that far back on watching lol)
View attachment 711255
The District contracts out utility services to Reedy Creek Energy Services, a wholly owned subsidiary of The Walt Disney Company.

Sir_Cliff

DeSantis wants it *in* the news cycle, he doesn't want it resolved. I don't think he actually cares about the ultimate outcome (which will be years from now), but he wants the fight to be ongoing until the primary begins.
I'm sorry, but this sounds so silly to me. Riding into the primaries as the guy locked in a heated battle with Walt Disney World is an... interesting strategy. Not even the guy who won against Disney, mind you, but the guy engaged in a long, drawn-out battle with Disney to control one of the largest tourist destinations and employers in the country after they criticised one of your pieces of legislation. The guy threatening to build competing theme parks and prisons next door to them as revenge...

We'll see how well that works.

mmascari

Anyway, I remember reading years ago that for every job Disney created in Florida, six other jobs were created outside of Disney.

77000 + (77000 * 6) = 539,000. Is Ronny willing to destroy his state's economy to beat Disney? That's the question.
Do you really want to know the answer to that question?

A better question might be, is that destruction likely to happen prior to November 2024 or after? I think it is completely safe to say he does not want to see the destruction of the FL economy prior to November 2024. If it happens or not after that, I'm not sure that he cares either way.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member

A better question might be, is that destruction likely to happen prior to November 2024 or after? I think it is completely safe to say he does not want to see the destruction of the FL economy prior to November 2024. If it happens or not after that, I'm not sure that he cares either way.
It was a rhetorical question, but I agree with the last part of your statement entirely.

I dont know if he cares that much as he is term limited as Gov so he can't run again and his prospects for pres are slim to none at this point. Who knows what he is thinking.

GBAB1973

The problem is that they don't say that with a straight face.

I'm not sure if we're allowed to post this and you can take it as you will, but this is what the New York Times has to say about this aspect of it:

You gotta love the Guv's office now in spin mode. They did it because they felt Disney had a special advantage?

And yet, you can literally pull up press conferences and interviews where DeSantis says he punished them for their stance. He's practically bragged about it.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
So, the Legislature has not approved any of these board members for their seats yet, right (Which the new law says they need to)? They are only nominated by DeSantis. How does that give them authority to do anything right now?

The Senate would confirm them. And that's an excellent point.

GBAB1973

The mil rate is being talked about being potentially raised to raise more revenue.

I could be wrong on this but doesn't Florida law contain provisions that would basically make it impossible for the counties to jack the Disney millage rate? Isn't the annual increase capped and wouldn't it have to be applied to all similar property owners? In other words, they can't just jack the millage rate for one landowner.

SirLink

Why haven't other theme parks done that already? Don't they want to be no. 1?

Its the entirety of its organisation though not just theme parks but if any other theme park and the amount of special perks that they do and the cheap land like TWDC had then most likely someone would have.

lazyboy97o

I could be wrong on this but doesn't Florida law contain provisions that would basically make it impossible for the counties to jack the Disney millage rate? Isn't the annual increase capped and wouldn't it have to be applied to all similar property owners? In other words, they can't just jack the millage rate for one landowner.
They’re referring to the mill rate of the District, which is different and has a higher maximum.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom