News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That is what would happen currently Disney has not had to pay taxes like other local businesses have had to do. Disney was paying their own contracted workers bare minimum to provide them with their essential functional needs like water, electric, etc and therefore had an agreement with their contracts to pay a little as they go like an interest unto themselves. If changed Disney would not have that protection anymore of paying themselves and holding off paying for their essentials they would be forced to pay the state taxes just like every other business has had to do.
I don't know what your previous handle was, but, you're spreading a lie.

Disney paid local government taxes the same as Universal and SeaWorld.

Then, they paid ***EXTRA*** to the district for their own infrastructure (roads, water, sewage, etc...).

Meanwhile, they didn't get service from the local governments. Which was a boon to everyone living in the area since Disney was paying huge amount of taxes and the local governments weren't spending the money on WDW, but on their other citizens.

You want to complain about low wages? Check out how Florida valued it's workers until the people voted an amendment to their constitution....
The Florida minimum wage was last changed in 2008, when it was raised $4.21 from $6.79 to $11.00. Florida's minimum wage rate is linked to a Consumer Price Index, which is intended to raise the rate along with inflation. The current minimum wage rate is re-evaluated yearly based on these values.​
The current minimum wage in Florida is $11.00 per hour. The tipped wage is $7.98 per hour. On November 3, 2020, Florida voters approved a state constitutional amendment to gradually increase the state's minimum wage each year until reaching $15.00 per hour on September 30, 2026.​

SirLink

Disney's going nowhere. They cannot afford to build another WDW anywhere on the planet, even if the land were given to them for free.\

Anyway, I remember reading years ago that for every job Disney created in Florida, six other jobs were created outside of Disney.

77000 + (77000 * 6) = 539,000. Is Ronny willing to destroy his state's economy to beat Disney? That's the question.

As far as lowering wages goes, there's a minimum wage constitutional amendment, so not likely.

Who cares about another WDW, Disney couldn't maintain the one they have. I'm hoping some entity will put Disney in its place.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Let’s be honest here: Disney tried a last minute poison pill, it didn’t work, and further increased tensions between them and the incoming board.

Whatever chance of amicability that was there before, was completely destroyed by Disney trying to subvert the new incoming board.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes…
Could it be that Disney felt they needed to protect WDW’s operational interests by limiting how much damage could result from the newly STATE appointed district? Could they even have a responsibility to do so since they are a publicly traded company?

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Totally agree on Citizens and that the outcome of any case is "it depends".

In this situation, I'm encouraging Dan to get the basics of the First Amendment explained by someone who isn't some rando on the internet. I'm 99.44% sure anyone who picks up that phone will do a good job of it.
Unfortunately I can’t be that optimistic seeing how many people are still confused about Terms of Service on private websites, and how that applies to interaction in those communities.

Riviera Rita

DeSantis wants it *in* the news cycle, he doesn't want it resolved. I don't think he actually cares about the ultimate outcome (which will be years from now), but he wants the fight to be ongoing until the primary begins.

I think the people on this board really do care about the outcome and they actually want to screw Disney. They're doing it for their pound of flesh, they're not just doing it as a stunt.
He needs to be watching the news cycle, they are not on his side and even the right wing media aren't interested.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I still don’t see how that gives the district standing for a do over. They were in no way harmed. “We may have harmed some unidentified party that isn’t seeking redress for the maintenance of the status quo” is an odd argument. And it’s all so they can institute changes that none of these hypothetical injuries parties have sought.
but whose to say they don't round up someone they can claim was impacted and puppet them up.

Clearly the district is betting on this horse... Disney is going to have to fight it. With data we largely are not privy to at this point. I think this argument is pointless until the inevitable court debate and conclusion.

Disorbust

WDW may not be going anywhere today but this temper tantrum may affect future development decisions. They have always been looking for other development opportunities and combined with "What will Florida look like in 25 years" between changing demographics and climate change I wouldn't doubt they diversify the location of their future theme parks.

peter11435

Disney voluntarily placed themselves in the district in the first place 50 years ago.

They reaped the benefits of it for 50 years of autonomy.

Them losing that ability, while the merits of that loss can certainly be argued, have nothing to do with the outcome of their current predicament, particularly surrounding their (yet to be proven in court) intentional subversion of Florida municipal code and law.
There was no subversion of Florida law. It’s not subversion when the law doesn’t exist yet.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
WDW may not be going anywhere today but this temper tantrum may affect future development decisions. They have always been looking for other development opportunities and combined with "What will Florida look like in 25 years" between changing demographics and climate change I wouldn't doubt they diversify the location of their future theme parks.
Walt may not have realized at the time but just maybe WDW and Orlando end up being the most east, west and south points of the Florida peninsula. Possibly he was that keen Lol. Legendary.

Wendy Pleakley

It could certainly impact whether or not other businesses come to Florida as well. Who in their right mind would want to invest in Florida long term?

There's a reason they're picking on Disney, which can't just up move to another state. Classic bully behaviour. Attack those with the less ability to fight back compared to a more mobile enterprise.

flynnibus

Premium Member
They are really trying to push the idea of reclaiming land to build their housing.

continuing this thought.. I wonder if this is a multi-stage ploy by the district

phase 1
1 - play disney evil doesn't allow housing where it's needed
2 - play affordable housing being offered - see we are a board of the people! We the people!!

phase 2
3 - take land via eminent domain and/or land use plans for said housing
4 - contract out building housing to some friendly parties for a nice grift party
5 - move in people that now believe this board and "friends of Ron" are the reason they have cheaper housing.. and now some votes

phase 3
6 - Now you have more residents in the district and different land owners - change the district charter to change the land voting rights so that they have a future defense against disney ever being the single biggest voting block again

if not all of this, at least some of it seems to be the game they are playing

GBAB1973

Looking to what Disney's response will be to media outlets asking for comments from them.

They'll likely play it cool. They aren't going to litigate this in the press. They will issue basic statements and assess matters as they unfold. They aren't going to do the fireworks show DeSantis and the board have put on. Typically, the ones that need to do that and try to sway public opinion are the ones that realize they have the weaker hand.

Patcheslee

Question 1: they mentions Disney sets their own utility rates. I they referring to something in the Comprehensive plan? Specifically this? If so, isn't "The District" in this case be CFOwhatever other letters are supposed to be here. Or is there another agreement somewhere else that says Disney tells the district what it will pay. (I'm that far back on watching lol)
1681930746489.png

Figgy1

lazyboy97o

continuing this thought.. I wonder if this is a multi-stage ploy by the district

phase 1
1 - play disney evil doesn't allow housing where it's needed
2 - play affordable housing being offered - see we are a board of the people! We the people!!

phase 2
3 - take land via eminent domain and/or land use plans for said housing
4 - contract out building housing to some friendly parties for a nice grift party
5 - move in people that now believe this board and "friends of Ron" are the reason they have cheaper housing.. and now some votes

phase 3
6 - Now you have more residents in the district and different land owners - change the district charter to change the land voting rights so that they have a future defense against disney ever being the single biggest voting block again

if not all of this, at least some of it seems to be the game they are playing
Depending on which land they take, they could be putting residents in one of the cities.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom