News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Stripes

Premium Member
Yes, and whose land was that before DTD was turned into Disney Springs?

Listen, on the DeSantis v Disney argument, we're in agreement - but no one can argue that Disney/RCID move land back and forth when needed, and Disney has taken advantage of muni rates to finance some WDW upgrades as needed.
No question. But RCID only undertook municipal functions and infrastructure, which is completely appropriate. It’s not like Disney was using municipal bonds to finance Galaxy‘s Edge.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
No question. But RCID only undertook municipal functions and infrastructure, which is completely appropriate. It’s not like Disney was using municipal bonds to finance Galaxy‘s Edge.
And that's all I implied.

lazyboy97o

You consider RCID a bribe? That’s honestly a ridiculous comparison.

Governments encourage economic development in their jurisdictions all the time. And yes, it often is a good thing.
“Breaking news. We have just learned that the local professional sports teams was bribed by local officials to build a new stadium. In exchange for owning and operating the stadium the team agreed to pay for all land acquisition, infrastructure and construction costs.”

Chi84

Premium Member
That's a pragmatic argument, not a principled one. It's an "ends justify the means" argument that is used to justify all sorts of corporate welfare. "We're going to bribe this company to move here because they're going to create jobs in our community."
So you don't believe the Florida government should have entered into this particular business deal with Disney even though it foresaw major benefits to the state and its citizens? I mean, it's a major tourist destination that contributes to the economy. If you believe that states are wrong in offering any enticements to businesses to operate there, that's your right, but it's just not how things are done and it certainly doesn't justify you labeling it bribery, which has a specific legal definition.

I think the issue is that I'm not seeing any unlawful or unprincipled means, nor do I understand what you're calling corporate welfare. I don't think the ends or means were wrong.

How did Florida benefit from the change in the board?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
It looks like Article 1 of Florida's Constitution prohibits ex post facto laws around contracts:

Yes, it also does.

In Fletcher v Peck, SCOTUS ruled that the contract was bringing between the two parties, even if it was illegally secured.

The Development Agreement at face is a contract.

LAKid53

Premium Member
Where talking about the pre-development time period when it was all swamps.

And yes, they absolutely could have taxed commercial, residential, agro, etc. at different rates.

Except the county cannot tax one commercial, agriculture, residential, etc., property owner at a different rate than the same type of property owner within the county...without a special district.

Mr. Stay Puft

It looks like Article 1 of Florida's Constitution prohibits ex post facto laws around contracts:

The state constitution says a lot of things that the Governor and the state legislature cannot do, but the state courts typically let them do it anyway. See our Governor drafted gerrymandered Congressional maps that were blatantly illegal but allowed anyway.

I'm worried, on the state level at least, DeSantis has his handpicked judges interpreting our laws and state constitution for however he says they need to. We're waiting to see if the state Supreme Court reinterprets our state constitution's "right to privacy" provision covers reproductive rights for women, after the state passed two consecutive abortion bans.

Personal feelings about that issue aside, that will be the litmus test to see if DeSantis really does have the state Supreme Court in his pocket, because the authors who got that provision written into the state constitution in the 1970s said explicitly that's what it was for, and the state courts have upheld that precedent ever since. DeSantis wants them to reinterpret that right to privacy does not include reproductive rights. So we'll see.

Stripes

Premium Member
Not that I disagree with you in this particular case but...

Not necessarily.

A court case could drag out for years. If the legislature wanted to act quickly, they can pass a law to take immediate effect.
True, but Disney can sue the state and the court would most likely issue an injunction until the matter was decided.

Same boat.

That said, I don’t necessary agree that the legislative push means that the district has no argument.

LAKid53

Premium Member
You consider RCID a bribe? That’s honestly a ridiculous comparison.

Governments encourage economic development in their jurisdictions all the time. And yes, it often is a good thing.

Yes, they do. You don't think Amazon doesn't get incentives to build distribution centers? Leon County - where the state capital resides - gave Amazon lots of "incentives" to build a huge center next to I-10.

flynnibus

Premium Member
we're talking about 1965 when there was no "everyone else."

uhh... no. The county was not the moon.

Nor does it make sense to change the law of the entire taxing authority of the state and constitution... instead of using the EXISTING construct of special districts.

I feel like you need to go back to the start of the thread. You're showing your ignorance of the whole thing while dropping in at the 11th hour and throwing out all these ill informed views.

LAKid53

Premium Member
“Breaking news. We have just learned that the local professional sports teams was bribed by local officials to build a new stadium. In exchange for owning and operating the stadium the team agreed to pay for all land acquisition, infrastructure and construction costs.”

Wait, the owners of professional sports teams "bribe" local governments to build new stadiums? Go figure..... 😉

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
AND EVERYONE ELSE IN THE COUNTY....

Instead... Disney paid for it.

Quite the advantage!
THERE WAS (practically) NOBODY ELSE IN THE COUNTY.

And those that were there would have participated in the huge boon that Disney brought to the region, so of course they should have participated in the infrastructure investment costs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom