News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Stripes

Premium Member
In fact, wouldn’t confirmation of that mailing be disclosable under Sunshine laws upon request if it exists?
I submitted a request already. Haven’t heard back, although I also haven’t heard back on another request I made a week ago that has now been made available to everyone. So I imagine their public records office is overwhelmed right about now.

The Orlando Sentinel also asked a CFTOD spokesperson about a mailed notice. The spokesperson declined to comment.

UNCgolf

For everyone else, they don't care about this in the slightest.

This will be a motivating factor in the primary and a non-issue in the General. Again, we can debate the merits all day long, but as a cynical political maneuver, I think it's all upside for him.

This is where you might be wrong, and where DeSantis is really putting himself in a potentially dangerous position re: a Presidential campaign.

Playing heavily to the base will win you a primary, as you mentioned, but it could easily kill his chances in a general election. There are already moderate Republicans (and more importantly, independents) who have soured on him over the things he's done in Florida. Not solely this Disney issue, but it is part of it. He doesn't want to end up in a Trump situation where people that would normally vote Republican just don't vote.

peter11435

Where talking about the pre-development time period when it was all swamps.

And yes, they absolutely could have taxed commercial, residential, agro, etc. at different rates.
You mean when they were spending boat loads of money to turn swamp land into a vacation destination and built state of the art infrastructure and utilities. Yeah. I know.

And not without impacting other taxpayers or creating a…….. special district

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
hall of fame game missed the point GIF

Let's use the Disney Springs garages as an example. They're owned by RCID because they were financed with municipal debt. Disney couldn't have financed them for close to those rates.

They are owned by RCID because they sit on land the District owns. Just as any municipal garage is owned, not solely because municipal bonds paid for the project.

And those saying Universal doesn't get the same benefits as WDW need to remember that Uni sits in the Orlando Community Redevelopment Agency. A portion of the property Universal pays goes towards infrastructure improvements near the park. SeaWorld also sits within a special district.

LAKid53

Premium Member
They could have once they gained Disney as a taxpayer.

If developing the resort infrastructure cost $X and RCID paid for it by taxing Disney $X, then Orange County could have built the exact same infrastructure, also by taxing Disney $X.

Which is illegal under Florida law. County governments cannot tax property owners differently than other property owners within the county, unless a special district is created.

lentesta

Premium Member
“(2)(a) Notice of intent to consider a development agreement shall be advertised approximately 7 days before each public hearing in a newspaper of general circulation and readership in the county where the local government is located. Notice of intent to consider a development agreement shall also be mailed to all affected property owners before the first public hearing. The day, time, and place at which the second public hearing will be held shall be announced at the first public hearing.”

It sounds like the lawyers for the board are alleging that the bolded portion was not done appropriately, if at all.

Later it seems to say there was a 30-day window for complaints: http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes...g=&URL=0100-0199/0163/Sections/0163.3215.html

LAKid53

Premium Member
One thing that stuck out to me was expedited payment of bonds. How much can the new district raise payments at a time? Would this fall under any statues in Florida? Would this now be considered taxation as the state is now running the board?

Part of the assessment Disney was paying went towards retirement of the bonds. You'd have to look at the bond documents to determine if the Board could legally change the rate at which the bonds are paid off. However, those who purchased the bonds might not be happy if the debt is retired earlier than stated.

afterabme

They are owned by RCID because they sit on land the District owns. Just as any municipal garage is owned, not solely because municipal bonds paid for the project.

And those saying Universal doesn't get the same benefits as WDW need to remember that Uni sits in the Orlando Community Redevelopment Agency. A portion of the property Universal pays goes towards infrastructure improvements near the park. SeaWorld also sits within a special district.
The CRA was recently used to help pay for the Kirkman Rd Extension.

Figgy1

Part of the assessment Disney was paying went towards retirement of the bonds. You'd have to look at the bond documents to determine if the Board could legally change the rate at which the bonds are paid off. However, those who purchased the bonds might not be happy if the debt is retired earlier than stated.
TY

JohnD

What a statute!

163.3241 Modification or revocation of a development agreement to comply with subsequently enacted state and federal law.—If state or federal laws are enacted after the execution of a development agreement which are applicable to and preclude the parties’ compliance with the terms of a development agreement, such agreement shall be modified or revoked as is necessary to comply with the relevant state or federal laws.​

A development agreement is a contract. Per the Contract Clause, the state does not have the authority to modify or revoke a contract. From the U.S. Constitution:

No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts, or grant any Title of Nobility.​

On the face of it, Florida statute 163.3241 would seem to be unconstitutional.
Interesting. Apparently, it's been on the books since 1986. Obviously, the Gov. and Legislature will attempt to enforce that Statute. But, as you indicate, it's likely to move forward in federal courts.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
That is illegal without some sort of special district.
Everything we're talking about required legislative action anyways, so they could have made it not-illegal.

Regardless, it's not the special district per se that I have the biggest problem with, it's that Disney had control over it. If the board had been constituted of appointees from the local county governments, I'd be much more comfortable with it.

LAKid53

Premium Member

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
You mean when they were spending boat loads of money to turn swamp land into a vacation destination and built state of the art infrastructure and utilities. Yeah. I know.
Okay so let's debate things on the merits.

You're not saying "Disney wasn't bribed by the state of Florida," you're saying "Disney was bribed by the state of Florida, and that was a good thing."

peter11435

Everything we're talking about required legislative action anyways, so they could have made it not-illegal.

Regardless, it's not the special district per se that I have the biggest problem with, it's that Disney had control over it. If the board had been constituted of appointees from the local county governments, I'd be much more comfortable with it.

Why should a special district or any municipal government not be controlled by its own constituents/electors?

Chi84

Premium Member
Where talking about the pre-development time period when it was all swamps.

And yes, they absolutely could have taxed commercial, residential, agro, etc. at different rates.
It seems RCID was created as a business deal between two parties that they agreed would be mutually beneficial.

Why is it that RCID is no longer beneficial to the state of Florida. I asked this earlier, but no one answered. What is the benefit to the state of having the current board instead of the old one?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom