News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

lazyboy97o

If documents did exist, it would suggest that the board deliberated out of public view, in violation of sunshine laws.

Given some of the language in the documents, it sounds like Disney Legal put the agreements together themselves and then asked the board to consider them.

Then the board did exactly that in public meetings, in compliance with the law.
Shouldn’t there be a record of that request?

WannaGoNow

I find it surprising that nothing was found. They properly noticed and the meetings but did everything else off the books which makes it all look like a secret deal exactly as opponents present it?

I guess it could be due to the charged language and nothing meeting that criteria of subverting the legislature.

I think this would potentially be exactly what he wants. It’d let the state claim it was a corrupt, secret deal done in violation of state law that can therefore be invalidated.
You find it surprising that Disney - with one of the highest paid legal departments in corporate America - did not openly commit legal malfeasance?
If documents did exist, it would suggest that the board deliberated out of public view, in violation of sunshine laws.
Exactly.

And also pointing out there is nothing to suggest this was a secret deal. On the contrary, it was done in public. DeSantis could have sent someone to the meetings. An intern could have monitored the meeting announcements. There was media at the meetings.

Anyone with experience working for a big corporation could have seen where this was headed and how Disney would protect itself. They probably had their lawyers - an outside law firm in Orlando drafted the agreements, BTW - work on the agreement and covenants as soon as DeSantis started saber rattling, and then placed them before the board without any need to discuss because they just make sense from a Disney perspective. It doesn't require a law degree from Harvard or even a law degree from a box of Cracker Jacks. The only surprising thing is that DeSantis didn't pay attention.

EeyoreFan#24

I'm not surprised at all there was nothing returned. If the whole point was to circumvent the governors intentions, it wouldn't be hard to draw a conclusion that he would blow his top when he got wind of this deal, so why do anything that would give him or the state evidence in possible response.

Stripes

Premium Member
Certainly. I don’t think that record was requested by the AG’s office though.

The request specified:

“Please limit your search to documents discussing an intention or goal of circumventing, avoiding, frustrating, mitigating or otherwise attempting to avoid the effects of anticipated actions by the Florida governor and the Florida Legislature.”

Brian

The way I see it, the request by the AG's office was made to the CFTOD. In other words, it was made to an entity which is controlled by like-minded individuals who would love to find evidence of wrong-doing by Disney. Sure, the staff responsible for responding to the request aren't necessarily DeSantis sympathizers, but they ultimately report to the board, who (I think it's fair to say) are.

For there to be no records to provide to the AG's office means one of two things, in my mind: the records were destroyed, or never existed in the first place. Either way, a violation of state law, and cause for legal proceedings against those responsible. There is simply no way there wasn't a single document, text, email, or any other record of this deal.

All roads lead to malfeasance.

Disney Analyst

Certainly. I don’t think that record was requested by the AG’s office though.

The request specified:

“Please limit your search to documents discussing an intention or goal of circumventing, avoiding, frustrating, mitigating or otherwise attempting to avoid the effects of anticipated actions by the Florida governor and the Florida Legislature.”

I have no idea how a board like Reedy Creek would work, and how items are added to an agenda for consideration, but I assume it is sort of like how a Strata works like in my condo building.

You send a request into the property manager, they add it to the agenda for next meeting / forward to Strata council. Strata debates / decides next course of action.

WannaGoNow

I'm not surprised at all there was nothing returned. If the whole point was to circumvent the governors intentions, it wouldn't be hard to draw a conclusion that he would blow his top when he got wind of this deal, so why do anything that would give him or the state evidence in possible response

The meetings were held in public. Announcements of the meetings were public. Documents were (and still are) available on the Reedy Creek website, for the public to view. The public was invited to make comments. The media covered the meetings.

WannaGoNow

The way I see it, the request by the AG's office was made to the CFTOD. In other words, it was made to an entity which is controlled by like-minded individuals who would love to find evidence of wrong-doing by Disney. Sure, the staff responsible for responding to the request aren't necessarily DeSantis sympathizers, but they ultimately report to the board, who (I think it's fair to say) are.

For there to be no records to provide to the AG's office means one of two things, in my mind: the records were destroyed, or never existed in the first place. Either way, a violation of state law, and cause for legal proceedings against those responsible. There is simply no way there wasn't a single document, text, email, or any other record of this deal.

All roads lead to malfeasance.

The deal was done in public. In fact, the developers' agreement, by law, required two public readings.

the_rich

They were looking for something showing disney communicated to the board before the public meeting. They didn't find that because, ostensibly disneys lawyers are smarter than that. They had contracts drawn up and then discussed them at a public meeting. This is just disney outsmarting them and now they are grasping at straws.

mikejs78

Premium Member
That seems convenient and suspicious.

I might actually make some predictions. I think there’s a very good chance that Disney’s offices are going to be raided and a small chance that Iger and others will be indicted.

On what charge?

The request is in the public record, I believe.
There is simply no way there wasn't a single document, text, email, or any other record of this deal.

But that's not what the AG asked for, he asked for documents related to an intent to circumvent the legislature to the Reedy Creek board members only.

Besides, Disney's lawyers are smart. Why is it inconceivable that they probably anticipated this, drafted the plan, proposed it formally at a board meeting where the Reedy Creek board saw it for the first time? The board was friendly to Disney, they would have passed it without any coordination.

Brian

The deal was done in public. In fact, the developers' agreement, by law, required two public readings.
I'm not suggesting the deal wasn't done in public. What I am suggesting is correspondence related to the deal is apparently nowhere to be found, which is a violation of state law. Every email and text involving a special district in Florida is public record, to the point that even I can request it as a random constituent.

I fail to believe there was absolutely zero correspondence between the then-RCID board and Disney.

the_rich

I'm not suggesting the deal wasn't done in public. What I am suggesting is correspondence related to the deal is apparently nowhere to be found, which is a violation of state law. Every email and text involving a special district in Florida is public record, to the point that even I can request it as a random constituent.

I fail to believe there was absolutely zero correspondence between the then-RCID board and Disney.
Believe what you want. Nothing was found and you better believe the ag turned every stone to find it.

Stripes

Premium Member
I’m sure there are records pertaining to the agreements.

But the AG’s office didn‘t request all records pertaining to the agreements. They requested that the search be limited to: “…documents discussing an intention or goal of circumventing, avoiding, frustrating, mitigating or otherwise attempting to avoid the effects of anticipated actions by the Florida governor and the Florida Legislature.”

the_rich

They were looking for something where disney goes listen we need to agree to this so that the new board has no power. I wouldve been shocked if that did exist. Disney has seemed to be a few steps ahead at every turn once chapek was let go.

WannaGoNow

I'm not suggesting the deal wasn't done in public. What I am suggesting is that the records of the deal, and the deliberations leading up to it, are nowhere to be found, which is a violation of state law. Every email and text involving a special district in Florida is public record, to the point that even I can request it as a random constituent.

I fail to believe that I didn't win the lottery. Darn it, that fifty million was mine! It's rigged, I tell you, rigged!

Brian

I’m sure there are.

But the AG’s office didn‘t request all records pertaining to the agreements. They requested that the search be limited to: “…documents discussing an intention or goal of circumventing, avoiding, frustrating, mitigating or otherwise attempting to avoid the effects of anticipated actions by the Florida governor and the Florida Legislature.”
The scope of the documents requested is subject to the eye of the beholder. With a state-friendly board in place, one would think they would produce any records they could find, even if it didn't fit squarely within that definition. That's why I suspect collusion.

the_rich

The scope of the documents requested is subject to the eye of the beholder. With a state-friendly board in place, one would think they would produce any records they could find, even if it didn't fit squarely within that definition. That's why I suspect collusion.
But why would there need to be any records of this? Disney makes up a contract and presents it at the meeting. The board knew they were getting ousted and they were friendly to Disney. It seems pretty easy to believe they would pass it without having to communicate beforehand.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom