News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

mmascari

On the topic of tolls, since the parking garages at Disney Springs were built by RCID can they add a parking fee there too? Would go back to the district and ultimately be a tax break for Disney but could be viewed as a way to punish Disney customers.
Can the district just add new spending to offset any new revenue or reduced costs? Specifically, can they just pay lawyers, lots and lots of lawyers, lots of money. Until that’s all they’re basically spending money on.

mmascari

Yeah. Disney would lose control of road maintenance for the roads turned over, but they would also lose the requirement to pay for the road maintenance. Take that Mouse….we are going to punish you by taking over paying for maintenance on the roads your business uses 🤓🤓🤓🤓
The control is probably worth more than the road costs. Specifically the decisions around what road improvements and when to make them. Bus lanes, intersection updates, road realignments. Before, all of those would be made with the goal of smoother operations vs the cost of changes. Roads transferred to the state would compete with all the other state road projects for when to get done and how to be done.

Tha Realest

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Considering my recent posts, you'll be surprised when I say this but why propose tolling roads at all? That only passes the costs on to Disney guests. Disney will just "shrug its shoulders". It doesn't punish them at all other than maybe generate fewer guests which isn't good for Disney or the State. Any revenue generated from tolls will probably be more than offset by the fewer guests who arrive.
Why? It’s the last gasp of a desperate man who is defeated. He took a shot and whiffed…he should move on but is too hard headed to realize it. Adding hotel taxes and tolls to roads hurts tourists (some who are also constituents) and in the case of tolls mostly hurts employees. For tourists spending thousands on a vacation a few bucks in tolls ain’t moving the needle anyway but actions that decrease tourism in the state hurt the people who live in the state.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The law in many places is moving in that direction. New legislation in Florida encourages this very thing:

There’s a big difference between encouraging it and requiring it. This law doesn’t require owners of commercial property to build affordable housing on their land. It just allows a developer who wants to build affordable housing to buy commercial properties and potentially convert them. It’s very different than the new district requiring Disney to develop affordable housing on their property.

lazyboy97o

The law in many places is moving in that direction. New legislation in Florida encourages this very thing:

This supersedes local rules and gives automatic approval to projects meeting certain requirements. It doesn’t negate zoning. It doesn’t require affordable housing in any projects.

maxairmike

It again comes down to a willingness to simply ignore the agreements. The garages were not designed for you it, but you could send a team of people out with mobile card readers like a Chick-Fil-A drive thru. It’d probably cause chaos, chaos people would blame on Disney. It’d also require Disney to go to court to get stopped. Is a small parking fee an imminent, irreparable harm that would justify an injunction?

The chaos and grief would be a bit of pyrrhic victory for DeSantis, I think. Everyone would initially be mad at and blame Disney and DeSantis might make a little hay off of it (I created jobs!), but Disney would likely have the facts out in the media and sentiment would likely turn after a few days. If it doesn’t turn hard enough, though, and cause enough of a pushback forcing it to stop it would absolutely be worth seeking an injunction. And it would still give him a “victory” that he can point to, in making Disney waste time and resources in fighting that. Remember, we’re not (IMO) dealing with a rational actor at this point.

Honestly, my biggest concern (while acknowledging that it’s almost out of the realm of possibility) is if DeSantis/the board get really desperate for anything to look like a win and do something very dumb and drastic like close off a handful or more of the roads into property, likely with some obviously fake yet “plausible” reason, wreaking havoc on local traffic. I just hope that he doesn’t remember that the CMs pushed the company to respond and decide to take actions that harm them the most (I believe tolls and road closures would do that very effectively). It just seems like the easiest, least effort way to a “win” for him, which he and his board seems desperate to have.

Speaking of the board, I know it was brought up earlier this week or last, but did anyone actually find legislative approval of the board members yet? If there’s no official notice of their approval by the state Senate by the end of the current session, could Disney have them unseated? I know that it would just result in a scrambled special session to affirm and reappoint them, but would be yet another egg in his face that would be entertaining.

Smiley/OCD

That's what the statute says. However, as witnessed by the upgrading to the toll plaza on the Turnpike near Clermont, that's going to be a long and messy project. Not what you want at the most visited place on the planet.
They wouldn’t build traditional toll plazas…overhead poles with transponders and cameras. E-Z Pass and/or pay by license plate and that’s the extent.

Sir_Cliff

The chaos and grief would be a bit of pyrrhic victory for DeSantis, I think. Everyone would initially be mad at and blame Disney and DeSantis might make a little hay off of it (I created jobs!), but Disney would likely have the facts out in the media and sentiment would likely turn after a few days. If it doesn’t turn hard enough, though, and cause enough of a pushback forcing it to stop it would absolutely be worth seeking an injunction. And it would still give him a “victory” that he can point to, in making Disney waste time and resources in fighting that. Remember, we’re not (IMO) dealing with a rational actor at this point.
Yes, I think this is another sign DeSantis may not be such a great political strategist. While visiting Disney World is not a regular concern for the vast majority of people, toll roads or other mechanisms designed to make life difficult for people to visit Disney World going up around the resort would no doubt be national (and international) news. So, too, would a new "Disney tax" on rooms at Walt Disney World hotels, in both cases to punish the company (and by extension its customers) for disagreeing with the governor on policy. The picture it presents of a very thin-skinned man and the future of country under his rule is not exactly appealing, wherever people may stand on the issue that sparked the disagreement.

The problem now is that he has backed himself into a corner and, again, doesn't actually seem that great a political strategist whose only gear seems to be a need to win at all costs. Just as he threw out the idea of dissolving RCID without even knowing what it was, he's now throwing out all sorts of weird ideas that you can only hope come up against some reality check when people start considering how they would work in practice.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member

Honestly, my biggest concern (while acknowledging that it’s almost out of the realm of possibility) is if DeSantis/the board get really desperate for anything to look like a win and do something very dumb and drastic like close off a handful or more of the roads into property, likely with some obviously fake yet “plausible” reason, wreaking havoc on local traffic. I just hope that he doesn’t remember that the CMs pushed the company to respond and decide to take actions that harm them the most (I believe tolls and road closures would do that very effectively). It just seems like the easiest, least effort way to a “win” for him, which he and his board seems desperate to have.

Speaking of the board, I know it was brought up earlier this week or last, but did anyone actually find legislative approval of the board members yet? If there’s no official notice of their approval by the state Senate by the end of the current session, could Disney have them unseated? I know that it would just result in a scrambled special session to affirm and reappoint them, but would be yet another egg in his face that would be entertaining.
I knew a guy once closer to my stomping grounds who was a popular Governor and one of the favorites to run for President who closed a bridge to spite some people who didn’t support him. He went from one of the favorites to washed up in a matter of months. It wasn’t all because he closed that bridge but it was a big part of his decline.

Fido Chuckwagon

It doesn't punish them at all other than maybe generate fewer guests which isn't good for Disney or the State.
Nothing about this from the start to the finish has been good for Disney or the State. It’s all been about trying to score cheap political points at the expense of the largest employer in the state. This is and continues to be Florida cutting off it’s nose to spite it’s face.

lewisc

I knew a guy once closer to my stomping grounds who was a popular Governor and one of the favorites to run for President who closed a bridge to spite some people who didn’t support him. He went from one of the favorites to washed up in a matter of months. It wasn’t all because he closed that bridge but it was a big part of his decline.
I'm not sure who you're talking about.

Chris Christie didn't literally close a.bridge. His lackeys created traffic jams in roads near a bridge causing massive delays.

Riviera Rita

At the end of the day everything DeSantis is threatening to do will hurt tourists and all the other tourist attractions in the Orlando area, which will in turn affect all those who are employed in the industry more than it will hurt Disney. The only people who think it's great live in their gated retirement communities with no reliance on the tourism industry of Central Florida for their income.
Ir's a shame this happened after the Gubernatorial election because Charlie Crist could have pointed out the stupidity of DeSantis' actions and the effect it would have on Central Florida as a whole.

Riviera Rita

Nothing about this from the start to the finish has been good for Disney or the State. It’s all been about trying to score cheap political points at the expense of the largest employer in the state. This is and continues to be Florida cutting off it’s nose to spite it’s face.
Disney never wanted this! They spoke out against a disgusting piece of legislation that doesn't belong in a civilised society and Ron got the hump. Disney has a right to protect themselves from this barrage of silliness from a politician with more ambition than brains.

Smiley/OCD

And he looked great in a beach chair…

Lilofan

At a WH dinner one of the comedians roasted him in the audience. He was not in charge of the garden state but he was in charge of the Olive Garden state. He even cracked a smile.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom