News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Mr. Stay Puft

We'd never get an admission of failure. You'll notice he's never admitted defeat even when he clearly has been, like those poor people who were arrested for voting when they were told they could vote, cases got tossed out. There's a pretty long list of quiet defeats that he just doesn't acknowledge, I think Scott Maxwell has compiled it somewhere.
But he also turns his defeats into "wins" by having the legislature make what he did previously was found to be illegal by the courts to be legal after the fact.

So basically he's acting like Senator Palpatine by saying whatever his actions are found to be illegal, he "will make it legal."

Sir_Cliff

Heā€™s already quietly filed legislation to do away with that.

Is there any doubt they will change the legislation to suit DeSantis if at all possible?

This is very much an aside, but reading through this thread DeSantis reminds me a lot of a conservative premier (our equivalent of governor) of Queensland, Australia's Florida, called Joh Bjelke-Peterson from 1968-1987. He was wildly popular in Queensland as a pro-business and social conservative premier, but controversial elsewhere due to an authoritarian bent and whispers about corruption. He even launched a loud campaign to become Prime Minister in the 1980s which quickly fizzled. He was eventually brought down by an anti-corruption commission, and the memory of those years of corruption and flirtations with authoritarianism have effectively tanked the conservatives at a state level ever since (holding government for only 5 of the past 34 years) despite the fact they previously dominated state politics.

Interested to see how this story plays out.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You noted that Iger stated what Disney was going to spend at WDW in the future. I simply noted that itā€™s not as much as the $17B over 10 years implies.

Those who remember my posts from years ago concerning WDW financial performance might recall how I documented that Disney had underinvested at WDW for about 20 years. At times, Disney has not even done basic maintenance at WDW despite being the most expensive theme park in the world.

The more recent theme park investments you list barely get Disney caught up to what they should have been doing all along.
I donā€™t disagree they should be investing more, but again, that has nothing to do with this situation. If the company was occupied with DeSantis while their competitors grow and prosper as the original post I quoted said then they would be adding close to zero jobs and spending less than $17B at WDW. That was my only point. Iā€™m not defending them or implying I think they could not or should not do more.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
From a previous post in this thread the current session only goes til May 5th and they have got the budget still to tackle..

I expect they will try to push it through as quietly as possible, but seems like from posters here in FL that media is constantly on the lookout for this specifically so Iā€™m sure weā€™ll all hear about it.

Florida media descend on the state capitol during session. And given the potential of the current governor running for president in 2024, they will be following this topic very closely.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Oh relax. What are we on the 20th iteration of the same argument? How many times do people have to google RCID to cherry pick the fact for or against their argument. Ultimately it all eventually devolves to the same predictable boring thing.

Youā€™d figure with all the ā€œlawyersā€ in the thread youā€™d have a better quality of discussion. I guess that quote from Abe Lincoln I saw on Google was right when he said not to believe everything you read on the internet.
ā€¦.unmmmā€¦

There really neverā€¦I checkedā€¦has been a development in Florida that has impacted wdw more. Not superfluous.

I know everyone was all tuned up when they lost fastpass+, dining plan and magical expressā€¦
ā€¦but thatā€™s just binkies for adults.

This is kinda a big deal

Disney Glimpses

But theyā€™d be even more valuable if he was allowed to fix Disneyā€™s ā€œobviousā€ issues.
And that's the weirdest thing of all of this. I don't agree with his characterization of Disney but nothing he has proposed or tried changes what he believes Disney is doing. It's pure retaliation with no goal to actually change anything that he believes is harmful.

lazyboy97o

Florida media descend on the state capitol during session. And given the potential of the current governor running for president in 2024, they will be following this topic very closely.
But will people care, especially in two years? It seems right now the biggest potential issue for those likely to vote Yes would be accusations of disloyalty to the current front-runner.

Tha Realest

Trying to avoid politics but keep in mind 2016 a somewhat popular FL Governor with a sound record of accomplishment was steamrolled by an upstart candidate ā€œbecause HE FIGHTS!ā€ Implicit in the prevailing candidateā€™s message was that the mainstream GOP leadership said one thing when it came to policies and priorities, but balked on stuff like social issues. Hence, the populist type movement that propelled the FL governorā€™s opponent in that election.

So as not to have a replay of the 2016 primary fight, the current FL governor wants to show ā€œHE FIGHTS! (too).ā€

Mr. Stay Puft

And that's the weirdest thing of all of this. I don't agree with his characterization of Disney but nothing he has proposed or tried changes what he believes Disney is doing. It's pure retaliation with no goal to actually change anything that he believes is harmful.
And he wants to force Disney to comply and promote his conservative views, because he can not tolerate any entity, much a less a big and powerful corportion that has visibility, a large audience, and a lot of clout, influence, and impact on our state, to be a visible and clear example of promoting socially liberal values in this state. Which contradicts everything DeSantis stands for. So they must be made examples of.

So if you're corporation that employs LGBTQ people and promotes that as a company value, DeSantis wants to eliminate that because it threatens his agenda to remake Florida into a social conservative state, in every nook and cranny in our society. Politicians like him who have an authoritarian mindset cannot tolerate examples of people, places, and entities that contradict their worldview of how society should function.

lewisc

Let me clarify the Resign to Run law. If not changed by the Legislature during THIS current session, the governor will have to submit his resignation from his current office at least 10 days prior to when qualifying opens for the office he seeks. That resignation takes effect on the earliest of either the day he takes office or his successor takes office. It's not an immediate resignation and out of office situation.
Other people have a different interpretation, just read the article linked.

If your interpretation is correct there wouldn't be a need to change the law.

It's a moot point, legislation can go through in minutes, slight exaggeration

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom