News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Tha Realest

The changes required to make it legal would impact more than just the immediate area.
The governor already advanced and signed legislation giving Floridians a relief on tolls charges. With that, and a SunPass transponder, tolls are already a “tax” that hits out of staters (read: non-voters) harder than residents.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
They're clearly more enlightened than mere mortals could ever be.
Yes because arguments based rampant speculation by laypersons arguing with each other anonymously on the internet will yield a fruitful result.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Universal, Sea World, LEGO are staying back, progressing, entertaining, growing while watching the drama.
Did you miss the part where Iger recently said Disney plans to spend $17B at WDW over the next decade adding 13,000 new jobs or the news that Genie+ sold out with Spring Break crowds pushing the parks near capacity? Disney isn’t suffering because of this toddler temper tantrum. Disney too is progressing, entertaining and growing.

Tha Realest

Did you miss the part where Iger recently said Disney plans to spend $17B at WDW over the next decade adding 13,000 new jobs or the news that Genie+ sold out with Spring Break crowds pushing the parks near capacity? Disney isn’t suffering because of this toddler temper tantrum. Disney too is progressing, entertaining and growing.
I saw he said that.
I also see they‘re actively - right now, and in the coming weeks - laying off 7,000 employees and trimming $5.5 billion in costs. I trust that more than ”projections” that may or may not ever pan out.

lazyboy97o

The governor already advanced and signed legislation giving Floridians a relief on tolls charges. With that, and a SunPass transponder, tolls are already a “tax” that hits out of staters (read: non-voters) harder than residents.
I don’t know what this is supposed to mean. There are laws that limit the types of roads that can be tolled. Those laws would have to be changed. Toll relief doesn’t matter if a whole bunch of roads can now be tolled.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I saw he said that.
I also see they‘re actively - right now, and in the coming weeks - laying off 7,000 employees and trimming $5.5 billion in costs. I trust that more than ”projections” that may or may not ever pan out.
So you really believe that Disney’s layoffs are the result of DeSantis’s actions or the takeover of the RCID board? I mean there’s absolutely no correlation to the 2 at all. I guess people really will believe whatever they want.

Tha Realest

So you really believe that Disney’s layoffs are the result of DeSantis’s actions or the takeover of the RCID board? I mean there’s absolutely no correlation to the 2 at all. I guess people really will believe whatever they want.
I didn’t say they were connected, one way or the other. I just don’t think things are as rosy as you portray. Keep in mind a bunch of discounts have been announced in recent weeks, and suddenly APs are being sold again. Those are “levers” mentioned by Disney financiers to adapt to softening demand- adjusting the “unfavorable attendance mix.”

I do believe a spreadsheet exists somewhere which shows $17bn in outlays. How that’s composed (capex or operational) and whether that comes into existence is anyone’s guess. I think with certain economic headwinds the parks are going to have softening demand which has little to do with what the governor is doing/not doing, and everything to do with the increasing costs of a vacation.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
This thread is hilariously sad. An entire thread of "expert" know it alls who all know nothing. All only motivated by your own political position.
I haven't posted much in here, but have certainly been following and viewing. Having no political affiliation or allegiance to either party myself, the only sad thing is having a front row seat to this pathetic attempt at power (beating of the chest if you will). Hypocrisy comes into mind as well. It's a really sad time for our political system, a 2 party system that is needs an overhaul.

Kamikaze

DeSantis has connections on the Supreme Court, he and Clarence Thomas regularly discuss issues and DeSantis I'm sure gets feedback about how he can best use his executive power and how to get the legislature and courts to pass and uphold laws. So far some of his laws have been struck down or put in hold, but we haven't yet seen any of his laws put to test at the SCOTUS. We'll see how far DeSantis can try to get away with as far federal courts are concerned. He has pretty much captured the state courts here, as evidenced by the FL Supreme Court allowing his blatantly illegal Congressional redistracting map to pass despite it violating both state and federal law.
If we're only considering the laws that would affect this situation, as we should be, none of them are anything that SCOTUS would want to take up.

The 1A argument about corporations being people is off limits because they don't want to lose Citizens United. Disney always has that as a fallback argument, that the replacement of RCID was political payback because they spoke out.

The legality of a district making agreements can't be challenged on its own. Its just how it works.

They CAN challenge the legal standing of perpetuity, but thats why RCID/Disney built in the Royal Lives Clause in case the perpetuity clause would get struck down, which basically means there isn't a point to challenge this.

The only real play DeSantis would have is to dissolve RCID/CFTOD and re-assign the debt. But that wouldn't change the legality of the new agreements, so I don't think theres much reason for him to do this either, unless he really wants to control the day to day permitting processes.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
All @JohnD was doing is correcting the record. Another member claimed that "this was started by Ron," when in fact, DeSantis didn't just wake up one morning and say "you know what, I think it's time to go screw over the #1 tourism destination in my state, after nearly 55 years of status quo."

In reality, Disney threw the first punch. This is so blatantly obvious that even Iger conceded that. DeSantis punched back, albeit in a near-textbook example of chilling free speech, but that doesn't change the fact that Disney threw the first punch. Would I have liked to see DeSantis just say "Ok, groomers" to Disney and move on? Yes. Unfortunately, things escalated quickly and both he and Disney have gotten wounded in this battle.

As always, two things can be true at once: Disney started it, and DeSantis acted unconstitutionally.
Disney’s ”first punch” was speaking out against a bill, an action protected by the constitution. They took a position shared by hundreds of other companies doing business in FL who weren’t targeted. So yes, their speaking out against the bill did start this whole chain of events but there was no way the company could have or should have anticipated that speaking out would result in all of this.

If a person is walking down the street and looks for too long at a passer by who then stops and punches the guy in the face do we say “well the first guy started this by looking at the other guy”? No we say a lunatic assaulted someone for no good reason.

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
I mean the truth is, legal or not, none of this is going to happen. Simply because it doesn't actually directly punish Disney. The optics aren't favorable for a political win. It's all talk. And frankly proof that he's backed into a corner with few options available.
That’s just it. None of those things he mentioned in his diatribe last night have anything to do with Disney, nor would they punish Disney. But of course the audience at Hillsdale College couldn’t reason through that and ate it up because he was “owning the libs” or whatever.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom