News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Dranth

And Disney still has their freedom of speech and can publicly speak out about whatever state legislation they want. They're just not going to get to keep control of their special tax district (which the governor/state government considers special treatment) for it.

Again, I can't say I 100% agree with what the governor/state legislature is doing. But I don't think Disney's first amendment is being violated. Just like I don't think users banned from Twitter have had their first amendment rights violated.

I'll leave it at that.
Disney had their rights violated because it was the GOVERNMENT that acted to stifle that speech. Twitter can ban whoever they want for nearly whatever they want as they are not the government. Huge difference and one the constitution and nearly all existing case law supports.

I've said it before but I'll say it again. Florida can stop any state agency from doing business with Disney, they can ask all citizens to boycott Disney, they can tell Disney they suck and will get no special consideration going forward but they can't pass a law to target Disney in retaliation for protected speech. The ONLY time a government gets away with that is if there is enough wiggle room in a case to prove it wasn't about speech. However, in this case, Disney has quote after quote after quote of the governor, the legislature and the newly appointed board all basically confessing that this was a retaliatory move.

mightynine

Sadly there are few places to really discuss issues on the Internet anymore.
1680223163909.jpeg

GoofGoof

Premium Member
And Disney still has their freedom of speech and can publicly speak out about whatever state legislation they want. They're just not going to get to keep control of their special tax district (which the governor/state government considers special treatment) for it.

Again, I can't say I 100% agree with what the governor/state legislature is doing. But I don't think Disney's first amendment is being violated. Just like I don't think users banned from Twitter have had their first amendment rights violated.

I'll leave it at that.
A person does not have to be physically restrained from speaking to have their freedom of speech violated.

Last edited:

Dranth

As an aside to the current conversation, I have no idea how intentional all this was by Disney but the more I think about it the smarter it looks.

If you think back to the early days of this mess, one of the original ideas behind stripping RCID according to the state was that it was not ratified after the state constitution was amended back in 1968. Using that fact, the state was able to push through a law that did not specifically target Disney as the bill would cover all special districts formed before 1968. That gave them at least some cover in courts to avoid a 1A fight.

By not fighting at the time Disney allowed the state to take over RCID effectively ratifying it under the amended constitution so now if they tried to dissolve or change the district they can’t fall back on their original argument AND they would now be targeting exactly one district which strengthens any case Disney does chose to bring if it comes to that.

CentralFLlife

They are not being punished for exercising their first amendment rights. Both red states and blue states confer and take away privileges to/from companies they like or don't like. Happens all the time but you don't recognize that in this case because you either love Disney that much and/or agree with their far-left politics.

Disney can continue to advocate for whatever they want, but the state of Florida has decided that they don't want to give special deals to companies that advocate against the laws and values of their state, just like how CA is not going to give special deals to companies that are against their state's laws and values. If the voters or Florida were actually fooled and don't want this, they can elect a Democrat next election.
What is far left about Disney’s politics?

JoeCamel

As an aside to the current conversation, I have no idea how intentional all this was by Disney but the more I think about it the smarter it looks.
It was brilliant, I have to imagine their legal team cackling with glee as the deadline approached without the incoming pigeons being aware of what was waiting for them. Pay those people's bills as presented please you got your money's worth.

I do need to add that I thought my days of getting quality entertainment from TWDC were long gone but this is quite good

csmat99

Not really - the inclusion of that absolutely arbitrary, absurd clause, shows that they know that eventually this will be overturned legally, and it was just about making a statement. As others have said, they just hope that DeSantis time as governor is coming to a close as he moves to the national stage, but given his massive popularity in Florida, the thought that whomever follows him isn't going to continue what he started is just delusional.

The more you think about it, the more stupid and silly it was to include, not to mention the morbidity of it, invoking the deaths of people who are currently infants. I can't stand the Spare, his repulsive wife, and their constant disgusting behavior, but in this case - they would totally be justified in being outraged that Disney is creating contracts where the deaths of their children are used as clauses in what basically amounts to joke.
It was brilliant and won't be overturned. I have worked with both internal legal and outside counsel for Disney and they are the best of the best. They don't miss anything.

CentralFLlife

So the AG is asking for files/texts/emails from RCID? What is their plan with these?
I’d imagine they’re looking for proof that Disney pushed for this to specifically take power away from the new board.

Every email that an RCID employee sends says in the signature that all written communication with a member of the district is a public record in accordance with the law.

It’s been a while since I’ve worked with them so I forget the exact wording, but I know it’s still there.

I’m pretty sure the lawyers involved in this were well aware of this, and were more than prepared for it.

JoeCamel

I’d imagine they’re looking for proof that Disney pushed for this to specifically take power away from the new board.

Every email that an RCID employee sends says in the signature that all written communication with a member of the district is a public record in accordance with the law.

It’s been a while since I’ve worked with them so I forget the exact wording, but I know it’s still there.

I’m pretty sure the lawyers involved in this were well aware of this, and were more than prepared for it.
So if Disney did push to limit power is there a problem? I'm pretty sure all the I's were dotted and the T's crossed, this will be taught in law schools as the way to make the law operate in your favor.
What is delicious is the puppet's strings were clipped and they didn't even know it. Like standing for a second then collapsing to the ground after impact....

GoofGoof

Premium Member
So if Disney did push to limit power is there a problem? I'm pretty sure all the I's were dotted and the T's crossed, this will be taught in law schools as the way to make the law operate in your favor.
What is delicious is the puppet's strings were clipped and they didn't even know it. Like standing for a second then collapsing to the ground after impact....
It is pretty ironic that for months all we heard from the DeSantis supporters was how the Governor and legislature had the legal right to dissolve the district or alter its board using some loopholes in FL law and now that Disney has found a way to use the same laws to get some of what they want there is a sudden crying foul. So if the law is the law and the government had a legal right to do what they did then same goes for Disney now. The law is the law goes both ways.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom