News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Spokker

That benefit comes from paying twice the taxes because the county taxes -- that WDW does indeed pay -- does not come back to them in services and infrastructure provided by the county. WDW pays a second tax on top of that to the RCID in order to get the services and infrastructure they need.
I didn't say anything about taxes but okay. Clearly Disney is enjoying a benefit from retaining control or they wouldn't be pulling these legal shenanigans to keep that control. If I wanted to engage in arguments with people who post in bad faith, I'd just go back to Reddit.

Plus for all I keep hearing about how great and highly paid Disney's lawyers are, how are they in a situation where they pay twice the taxes? Either they are dullards or this doesn't pass the smell test.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I didn't say anything about taxes but okay. Clearly Disney is enjoying a benefit from retaining control or they wouldn't be pulling these legal shenanigans to keep that control. If I wanted to engage in arguments with people who post in bad faith, I'd just go back to Reddit.
They're "pulling these legal shenanigans" in defense of a state takeover seeking to punish Disney from exercising their First Amendment rights.

Spokker

They're "pulling these legal shenanigans" in defense of a state takeover seeking to punish Disney from exercising their First Amendment rights.
They are not being punished for exercising their first amendment rights. Both red states and blue states confer and take away privileges to/from companies they like or don't like. Happens all the time but you don't recognize that in this case because you either love Disney that much and/or agree with their far-left politics.

Disney can continue to advocate for whatever they want, but the state of Florida has decided that they don't want to give special deals to companies that advocate against the laws and values of their state, just like how CA is not going to give special deals to companies that are against their state's laws and values. If the voters or Florida were actually fooled and don't want this, they can elect a Democrat next election.

Dranth

Disney:
If you're going to accuse us of a crime, then as part of defending ourselves with *discovery*, please have the executive and legislative branch hand over all documents concerning attacking Disney and abolishing the RCID.​
This is exactly what I was thinking. There is already one organization that has been caught with their pants down due to the discovery process that was initiated because they couldn’t' stop running their mouth.

MagicHappens1971

They are not being punished for exercising their first amendment rights. Both red states and blue states confer and take away privileges to/from companies they like or don't like. Happens all the time but you don't see it in this case because you either love Disney that much and/or agree with their far-left politics.
The Governor and his cronies have explicitly stated they planned to remove RCID as retaliation for what Disney said. They quite literally are being punished for exercising their first amendment rights. Dissolving RCID is a disadvantage to the taxpayers of Florida, more specifically Osceola/Orange county.

Dissolving all special districts would have been completely different, they purposely chose RCID to punish Disney.

kong1802

Earlier today, DeSantis was in Smyrna, Georgia, not far from where I live.

According to CNN, DeSantis is quoted as saying the following about Disney:

“There’s a lot of little back-and-forths going on now with the state taking control, but rest assured, you know, you ain’t seen nothing yet.” “There’s more to come in that regard.”

He’s good at talking tough. We will see what they will try.

peter11435

Plus for all I keep hearing about how great and highly paid Disney's lawyers are, how are they in a situation where they pay twice the taxes? Either they are dullards or this doesn't pass the smell test.
As I said earlier. Please start at page 1. I would also recommend reading Married to the Mouse. There’s a lot about the district and how and why it exists and operates that you need to learn.

peter11435

They are not being punished for exercising their first amendment rights. Both red states and blue states confer and take away privileges to/from companies they like or don't like. Happens all the time but you don't recognize that in this case because you either love Disney that much and/or agree with their far-left politics.

Disney can continue to advocate for whatever they want, but the state of Florida has decided that they don't want to give special deals to companies that advocate against the laws and values of their state, just like how CA is not going to give special deals to companies that are against their state's laws and values. If the voters or Florida were actually fooled and don't want this, they can elect a Democrat next election.
They absolutely are being punished for exercising their first amendment rights. Everyone involved at the state level has made that abundantly clear.

MagicHappens1971

“There’s a lot of little back-and-forths going on now with the state taking control, but rest assured, you know, you ain’t seen nothing yet.” “There’s more to come in that regard.”
He is digging a grave for himself. Why has no one stopped him from continually going on record saying that he and his administration intentionally and basically lodged a hostile takeover of a private company.

lazyboy97o

Can the attorney general even ask for these documents? Disney only made a deal with Reedy Creek, and now the CFTOD.
As stated, this is right now a public records request. Any of us could make such a request. Beyond that, the attorney general can open an investigation and seek court orders and warrants for non-public documents if there is probable cause that they contain evidence of a crime. That would likely result in litigation over whether anything is privileged but that’s par the course.

Riviera Rita

When you make claims about Disney's 'far left politics' I think we can dismiss your comments as that term is meant as an insult by you and is actually not even factual.

lazyboy97o

Earlier today, DeSantis was in Smyrna, Georgia.

According to CNN, DeSantis is quoted as saying the following about Disney:

What happened to just giving DeSantis something he could call a win and it would end all of this?

kong1802

Unfortunately for those wanting to beat Disney, they now have to go through this guy:

1680215315665.png

Dranth

Okay, if you don't understand why Disney wanted to and volunteered to be taxed above and beyond the norm then it is you who is not arguing in good faith. Read up on the district, what it does and how it works or for that matter the other 800 plus Florida special districts that preform similar functions that include additional taxes for the people in those districts.

In almost every case, with some special exceptions, it is because the people in the special district wanted to create one to collect additional taxes to use for public projects above and beyond what the local counties provided or in place of local county services so they could have quicker/better public works.

Chi84

Premium Member

The state can't use its authority to enact laws to punish people or organizations for exercising their first amendment rights. It was DeSantis who said he was using the power of the state to retaliate for Disney's opposition to a particular law. Corporations can be favored or disfavored for any number of valid reasons, but the government in this country cannot use its power to punish political speech.

lazyboy97o

They absolutely are being punished for exercising their first amendment rights. Everyone involved at the state level has made that abundantly clear.
The arguments in defense of the state are:

“They’re lying and that’s not actually why they’re doing this.”

“Something done in public beforehand means it was done afterwards in secret.”

lazyboy97o

The existing portion of Universal Orlando Resort is taxed extra at their request. They’ve recently asked for their new property to be taxed more. This isn’t actually hard to figure out.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom