News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

castlecake2.0

Original Poster
CONTROL

The entire premise here was to consolidate power... such agreements that subtract from that are a thorn in their side.

This is the problem with a model that plays with someone else's money... why would they NOT fight it? Spending just means raising fees and costs to their constituents who can't do a god damn thing about it.
Is this the fight Disney was waiting for? Isn’t the Districts job to manage water canals and garbage trucks? If the district starts getting crazy does this give Disney the legal battle they want? *edit* What a mess.

afterabme

Another question: Are they planning on going outside of their scope? What can they actually do according to the new charter that they would need that type of representation?
Just a guess. They probably want full control over all aspects of the district, including the aforementioned Developer Agreement that guaranteed rights of Disney to land in the District.

Tweet for reference:

flynnibus

Premium Member
A serious question. If all they're supposed to/going to do is run a municipal district (fix roads, issue permits, provide safety) why would they need that type of preemptive fire power?
Well to be honest.. we don't know exactly what these prior agreements cover. It's not a stretch to assume the agreements are setup to usurp the things the district does have in their domain... hence the reason for them.

Or maybe they are carte blanche handoffs... that are a superset of everything the district has in scope, etc.

lazyboy97o

@lazyboy97o since you have the most knowledge on the subject, why would the new board care about long term land use agreements other than to stick it to Disney? What is their play here?
I haven’t had a chance to look at the agreements beyond the bit shared by Bob Hazen.

It looks like we now know why there was a sudden urgency regarding the long delayed Comprehensive Plan. It seems Disney and the District essentially entered into a contract to lock down that plan. If so, this seriously blunts the best avenue of the Board to interfere in Disney’s content. Requiring development review (zoning review) would have been the most normal, backed by precedent way for the Board to get involved in what Disney is doing at Walt Disney World. Development review is the process at the Disneyland Resort that killed the Eastern Gateway. Yes the District controls building approval and code officials do technically have wide latitude, but “This doesn’t fit the character of our community” is not considered a valid reason to deny a building permit.

Again, without know the specifics, I find the claim of the agreements being illegal dubious. This was done over months, all well before the District was reconstituted and the previous board likely prohibited from entering into such agreements. This was done when the state’s position was that the District was going to be dissolved. I don’t know what would have prohibited the District from entering such an agreement. Master development agreements are not unusual. We don’t see attractions at Universal Orlando Resort and SeaWorld Orlando go through development review because of such agreements. Even at the Disneyland Resort, projects that have come since the Eastern Gateway was killed such as Avenger’s Campus, Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railroad, Downtown Disney redevelopment and the new Disneyland Hotel DVC tower did not go through development review because they were within the boundaries of Disney’s agreement with the city where Disney has wide latitude to develop as they desire without city review. The argument would have to be that the District sidestepped the counties’ future authority, but it’s a process that was done in the open and the counties didn’t object. It could definitely be interesting litigation see an argument that something done in public was actually secret because it didn’t involve people involved in a secret, rushed process.

lazyboy97o

My baseless speculation is that Disney had no interest in proactively suing the district but is more than happy to let the DeSantis board immediately play aggressor.
While it seems like something that can be described as a clever trap, I really don’t think that was the case. I think it was just a hedge to lock down the status quo as a wide reaching contingency plan. District goes poof? The counties inherent an agreement and don’t have to spend resources on the matter. District changes in some unpredictable way and they can’t just pull the rug. District is apathetic and disfunction and there’s a plan. It covers bases and secured what Disney wants, development control.

The threatened litigation is not a good fight for Disney. The Board is going on a spending spree and using Disney’s money. A win for Disney also doesn’t undo the underlying problem. Right off the bat this new Board has shown that they are up for big, expensive fights. The escalation is continuing.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I feel like this is what they were waiting for. @Sirwalterraleigh thoughts?
I don’t know the legal angles available…plenty of older, wiser members here can do that (but not NEARLY as funny…)

But given company history, their place in todays entertainment market, and Bob iger’s 100% board unchecked, carte Blanche ego…

…they have to respond.

Now…I wouldn’t be shocked if Bob thinks he can dodge if - like Slaphead - because he doesn’t want blame and can skate (fans have allowed him never to account for clear errors for 20 years…cause it’s all Eisners fault…to this day 🙄)
…but I bet it isn’t gonna break that way.

But what do I know? Nothing. Justice has spoken (after they got done taking a show show this morning with their Minnie’s Bowtique Loofa 🚿)

MrPromey

My understanding of Disney’s approach is that they donate to both parties in the hope of currying favour across the board. I realise they’re not alone in this, and perhaps it’s very naive and idealistic of me to say so, but I wish they’d stop altogether.
They kinda' did and that's what started the ball rolling for the subject of this thread.

See the problem?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom