News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Surferboy567

One thing to consider is WDW unlike DL can handle larger courses. Within DL / CA a 5k course would be about it. Within WDW parks 5K and 10K courses could fit and not impact county or state roads. For the Half and Full Marathon distances then coordination and approval w county and state would be needed. I do not believe situation w the local and state authorities will deteriorate as they have in Anaheim.
I hadn’t considered that. Makes sense. Would they even bother though without a half marathon?

Probably, I just don’t want to lose runDisney.

EDIT: I’m fully aware though this is a small issue in the grand scheme of things.

Mouse Trap

We are about to see Disney get on its knees. This is probably the first of several big moves by our Florida Governor, Ron DeSantis. The sweetheart tax break deals will be on the table next.

"You poke the bear... You get the claws!" If for some reason Disney CEO, Bob Chapek did not perceive DeSantis as a bear... that's on him.

I'm dying 🤣

Referring to DeSantis as a "bear", with the bill that started this whole mess in mind, is too funny and this guy has no clue.

lazyboy97o

They wouldn't have to increase taxes at all because they're gaining Walt Disney World as a taxpayer.

Every dollar Disney currently pays to RCID that RCID uses to provide services will now be paid to Orange County for Orange County to provide services.
This has been explained to you repeatedly. Walt Disney World already pays taxes to the counties. The extra taxes can’t just become special Walt Disney World taxes imposed by the counties.

mikejs78

Premium Member
They wouldn't have to increase taxes at all because they're gaining Walt Disney World as a taxpayer.

Every dollar Disney currently pays to RCID that RCID uses to provide services will now be paid to Orange County for Orange County to provide services.

Why do you keep saying this? It isn't true. Disney already pays taxes to the counties. They would not be able to be charged additional taxes.

AEfx

This has been explained to you repeatedly. Walt Disney World already pays taxes to the counties. The extra taxes can’t just become special Walt Disney World taxes imposed by the counties.

Of course they can, if they rely on size/revenue/etc. - just set the barrier up high enough so that it affects Disney and not anyone else, as they clearly have the most land/make the most money.

CaptainAmerica

Disney is already an orange county taxpayer.
You know what I mean. RCID's 2021 revenues were about $150 million and their expenditures were about $150 million.

As a result of this change, Orange/Osceola County revenues will increase by about $150 million, and their expenditures will increase by about $150 million. Literally nobody is financially worse off from this deal.

Outside of the political theatre here, can anyone help me on the why in all of this. How does this benefit the State? Who does it benefit other than Ronnie?
In practice, it's almost entirely a nothingburger. It doesn't really help or harm anyone.

GimpYancIent

I hadn’t considered that. Makes sense. Would they even bother though without a half marathon?

Probably, I just don’t want to lose runDisney.

EDIT: I’m fully aware though this is a small issue in the grand scheme of things.
Definitely do not want to lose runDisney! Deep down inside I still hold out hope for a return to the Coast-to-Coast Challenge. The future looks bleak for such a return but Hey! a person can always wish.

the_rich

You know what I mean. RCID's 2021 revenues were about $150 million and their expenditures were about $150 million.

As a result of this change, Orange/Osceola County revenues will increase by about $150 million, and their expenditures will increase by about $150 million. Literally nobody is financially worse off from this deal.

In practice, it's almost entirely a nothingburger. It doesn't really help or harm anyone.
You keep leaving out the 2 billion in bonds that would now fall on the counties to pay. Hence everyone who lives in those counties will see their property taxes rise.

CaptainAmerica

Why do you keep saying this? It isn't true. Disney already pays taxes to the counties. They would not be able to be charged additional taxes.
Brother, what are you talking about?

Disney currently pays $150 million of property taxes to RCID. If RCID goes bye-bye, Disney is just going to pay the same $150 million to Orange and Osceola Counties, in addition to what they already pay.

1650489807077.png

mikejs78

Premium Member
That's also not true. The taxes don't just flow to the counties if RCID is dissolved. Counties have strict guidelines as to how taxes are assessed, and that doesn't change if the district is dissolved.

The money RCID collects will not go to the counties.

mikejs78

Premium Member
Disney currently pays $150 million of property taxes to RCID. If RCID goes bye-bye, Disney is just going to pay the same $150 million to Orange and Osceola Counties, in addition to what they already pay.
This is wrong. Disney is assessed based on the value of their property by the counties - same as any other property owner. The counties can't raise the taxes on Disney (without raising the taxes on other businesses) and they can't do it by more than 10% / year. Reedy Creek is a seperate entity and therefore can levy it's own taxes in addition to the county taxes, not instead of. If the district goes away, those taxes go away and Disney keeps that money.

CaptainAmerica

That's also not true. The taxes don't just flow to the counties if RCID is dissolved. Counties have strict guidelines as to how taxes are assessed, and that doesn't change if the district is dissolved.

The money RCID collects will not go to the counties.
You're right, Ron DeSantis has pushed this legislation as a way to provide Disney with a $150 million annual windfall. And Disney is deeply opposed to it because they don't want a $150 million annual windfall.

Stevek

HAHA - Buddy moving to Winter Park in Orlando - had to offer 500K above asking! Yea...noone wants to move to FL! I live in Dallas...it's even worse! No-one wants to live in blue states anymore!
Born and raised in Southern California. Love it here. May not love our governor but love the state.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom