News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

el_super

Again, there’s not enough data to know at this time.

There's not enough data to know precisely what is happening, that is true. I still feel pretty confident saying that this has had no financial impact though. We're still missing all the leading indicators that something would be wrong: there's no shareholder chatter or daily news reports about financial performance or Chapek meeting with firms in New York. There's barely any whispers on Wall Street over Reedy Creek or even the copyright law changes.

Most of the insider conversations right now are laser focused on the streaming business.

This is one of those topics that seems like a bigger deal to those in the know, but really has no impact outside of those circles.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Did you even bother to read the rest of my post or did you just fixate on this one sentence?

The “did he ask shareholders” line is just as dumb for two msin reasons. 1) the majority are institutions anyway 2) You even point out the population is split… so consensus is not a practical objective.

Leadership means leading- not just parroting.

The shareholders can speak with their wallets or votes.

nurturing a generational business does not happen solely with the mantra of shareholder value. It needs creating something of its own values and meaning besides what goes out in the boxes or on the dividend check.

The Mom

Premium Member
If we do see a lot of cancellations in the near future, I think the biggest culprit would likely be the cost of fuel, rather than political issues that most guests probably neither care about nor are aware of.
Cost of fuel, and pretty much cost of everything, is eventually going to have an impact on discretionary spending for most except the most avid fans- especially as prices continue to go up.

SaucyBoy

In the Parks
No
Cost of fuel, and pretty much cost of everything, is eventually going to have an impact on discretionary spending for most except the most avid fans- especially as prices continue to go up.
The cost of hotels, gas, and flights, even from a close place like NC, has been a factor into why we're not going this summer as usual. It doesn't mean we aren't going to try and sneak down for a weekend this fall, though. But in the short term, a summer jaunt to FL is financially out of the question.

Sandurz

There should be outrage on both sides. As a Disney fan, they have looked foolish in lots of things over the last few years.

It’s dumb on both sides. They all need to stay in their lanes regardless of any believes or disagreements. Taking a stance one way or the other publicly alienates half of your customers in todays political climate which is not smart business.

"Alienate half your customers" is almost never true. There's not some law of nature that because there are two "sides" to an argument that there has to be an even 50/50. There are vocal minorities, and everybody else.

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
Regardless this could have all been avoided. Disney should focus on their business objectives. There is no need to take a public stance one way or the other. Many Fortune 500 companies leaning left or right should take a lesson from this.
Should US businesses avoid upsetting any group of people as to not provoke politicians willing to abuse power putting them in their place? There are many reasons in the US for companies to stay neutral. To prevent elected officials from abusing governmental powers is not one of them.

Disney Glimpses

"Alienate half your customers" is almost never true. There's not some law of nature that because there are two "sides" to an argument that there has to be an even 50/50. There are vocal minorities, and everybody else.
I'm just going to put this out there for the sake of this discussion (not to debate politics). I consider myself an independent and I know people who are very passionate about politics on both sides. My friends on the right even more passionate than those on the left. Through all the political turmoil between Florida and Disney over the last few months, not a single one of them have cancelled trips to Disney World, Disneyland or Disney Cruises. In fact, through their complaining, they booked more trips.

Sure this may prevent people who aren't close to the product from booking, but as many people who decided against a trip there will be someone who decides to go on a trip. It's a wash at best. Honestly, the more likely scenario is bookings are up because of how much their brand is mentioned in the media.

mmascari

Through all the political turmoil between Florida and Disney over the last few months, not a single one of them have cancelled trips to Disney World, Disneyland or Disney Cruises. In fact, through their complaining, they booked more trips.
But, are they having fun or are they just ironic visiting?

Maybe they'll protest buy some merch too.

On the other hand, if you could convince a few (thousand) of them to cancel trips during June, that would help with the crowds (for me personally). Might even make Genie+ work better too.

Disney Glimpses

On the other hand, if you could convince a few (thousand) of them to cancel trips during June, that would help with the crowds (for me personally). Might even make Genie+ work better too.
They have fun and yuck it up with merch and the nighttime shows. They'll complain here and there but I know they are having a great time. Their biggest complaint is Genie+, not politics.

Haha, cancellations would be nice right about now though 😅😅

mikejs78

Premium Member

I'm going in June too..

Maybe I should try to organize a boycott for June.

Chip Chipperson

I'm going in June too..

Maybe I should try to organize a boycott for June.

My advice is to start with open questions that sound accusatory and authoritative without actually proving anything. "Do you know how many hurricanes Florida had back in the 1950s and '60s compared to how many it's had since WDW opened???" "Would you spend your vacation dollars at a well-known global destination if you knew they use kitten meat in their hot dogs?"

lentesta

Premium Member
Disney is a great example of how weighing into politics can potentially damage a company.

A for-profit primarily exists to enrich its shareholders.

For most companies, customers run across the entire political spectrum. Taking stances on political issues risks alienating a percentage of paying customers, hurting overall sales and adversely impacting shareholders.

If shareholders say, “we don’t care about the money, this issue is more important to us then some lost sales,” then companies should actively pursue goals preferred by shareholders.

Chapek’s primary job is to enrich shareholders. But this does not mean Disney shareholders don’t have other objectives that are important to them.

Did Chapek engage with a majority of shareholders before taking his public stance or was his pushed into this stance solely by his employees? I genuinely don’t know - Chapek or his team might have discussed this issue privately with major shareholders before issuing the statements that he did. For all I know, a majority of shareholders back Chapek 100% on this.

Remember, the First Amendment protects you from the government. It does not protect you from other consequences of your words.

As Michael Jordan famously said, “Republicans buy sneakers, too.”

Many of us think this is an easy First Amendment victory for Disney, if they decide to go that path.

But, win or lose, what financial impact will this have on Disney? Do Disney shareholders think it was wise for Chapek to weigh in on this?
I’m guessing that at a minimum, Pixar would have revolted. They had already called the corporate equivalent of “BS” with Chapek’s interim statement about working behind the scenes on inclusivity.

As I said sarcastically to a friend in Imagineering: “Is Chapek betting that the entertainment industry isn’t built on the work of gay creatives and their friends?”

kevlightyear

This thread is a minefield, so I'm staying out of it except for this. I wish this bad take would finally die:
A for-profit primarily exists to enrich its shareholders.
Companies exist for any number of reasons. And shareholders are not the only stakeholders in a company. Employees, suppliers, contractors, the community and, yes, customers can all benefit from and rely on a company. Thus, they all have can have opinions about how the company is run. It's up to company leadership to take in all of those opinions and act on them. Companies are not beholden to shareholder whims.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm just going to put this out there for the sake of this discussion (not to debate politics). I consider myself an independent and I know people who are very passionate about politics on both sides. My friends on the right even more passionate than those on the left. Through all the political turmoil between Florida and Disney over the last few months, not a single one of them have cancelled trips to Disney World, Disneyland or Disney Cruises. In fact, through their complaining, they booked more trips.

Sure this may prevent people who aren't close to the product from booking, but as many people who decided against a trip there will be someone who decides to go on a trip. It's a wash at best. Honestly, the more likely scenario is bookings are up because of how much their brand is mentioned in the media.
This is 100% true. It’s a classic Facebook argument. When the issues with players kneeling came up I knew people who swore publicly they would never go to or watch another NFL game, but these were people who weren’t fans. I knew others who were huge fans and equally unhappy with that aspect but they still watched. It’s real easy for people to claim to be done with a business, but not so easy to follow through. For Disney it’s usually the classic excuse that the wife/husband and/or kids still want to go so they are “dragged along”.

flynnibus

Premium Member
See the stock change within the past year
Yes, everyone has seen the market as a whole this year...

Screen Shot 2022-05-17 at 1.11.49 PM.png

And the actual things driving TWDC's individual stock performance - Streaming and the evolving Media markets. Not social topics.

People are buying TWDC product as much as ever.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom