News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Chip Chipperson

I really don't understand this. Can the state limit, or even want to limit, how much Disney invests in Florida? If Disney were to spend 18 billion would the be punished for that?
No, the agreement isn't a cap, it's a minimum and the actual requirement ($8B over 10 years, with the remainder over the 10 years after that) is less than the company has already stated they intend to spend. It is just a way to give Disney the agreement that the District had previously challenged while also making it look like the District's Board got a "win."

flynnibus

Premium Member
I really don't understand this. Can the state limit, or even want to limit, how much Disney invests in Florida?

No - it was a horrible interpretation that I was hoping people would have just skipped over... but here we are.

We should all know the basics here. Disney made a commitment to spend 8 billion as part of an agreement.

There is no cap... there isn't even a punishment to NOT doing it. It just means the District would have reason to terminate the agreement.. which is a toothless thing anyway since you wouldn't know if they had spent it until the end anyway. It's just a promise as a means to justify the agreement and provide the requirement of the benefit to the district for why they are even doing the agreement.

It's pretty much a meaningless commitment - Disney's public investor messages have far more consequence and weight behind them.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
No, the agreement isn't a cap, it's a minimum and the actual requirement ($8B over 10 years, with the remainder over the 10 years after that) is less than the company has already stated they intend to spend. It is just a way to give Disney the agreement that the District had previously challenged while also making it look like the District's Board got a "win."

Thank you for the clarification, I didn't see how the original statement could have been right.

el_super

Despite what others believe, Disney will never gain total control of the district again-as I stated above neither party will support such a move.

That's true. It would have been terrible optics for Disney to draw a hard line position that a corporation should have that kind of power. At least not outright.

But as Anaheim proves, even without the district in name, Disney will still wield immense political power and get what they want. Maybe they will end up paying a little bit more for it in the end.

Cliff

It looks like Disney is showing pitty let up on the lawsuits against the state. Disney has been very gracious and patient abut this mess and I think that the state and it's governor are regretting the day they ever messed with Disney.

Ronnie-boy ran with his tail between his legs and he'll be licking his wounds for the next few years. He's very lucky that Disney went EASY on him.

I'm just glad it's over now and our team won huge.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It looks like Disney is showing pitty let up on the lawsuits against the state. Disney has been very gracious and patient abut this mess and I think that the state and it's governor are regretting the day they ever messed with Disney.

Ronnie-boy ran with his tail between his legs and he'll be licking his wounds for the next few years. He's very lucky that Disney went EASY on him.

I'm just glad it's over now and our team won huge.
137f35e58d65abf0c8e7872545c2902b.jpg

Disney won nothing - They got a cease fire appeasement by promising to start giving back to the politicians and promising to spend money in florida. The state gave up nothing... and still has the court decisions on the books supporting their action.

Disney lost big time... they are just trying to focus on 'getting back to normal'

flynnibus

Premium Member
Yea that’s very debatable.

Because at the end of the day they still got what they wanted.

Ron boogeyman didn’t help his dead political ambitions at all so it definitely wasn’t very favorable for him.
If by 'got what they wanted' to mean they got the Govenor to stop squeezing their throat? Yes they did.

But they didn't GAIN anything... yet they lost tons... spent millions.. and are not in a better position than when they started. So what do you suggest was their prize and 'got what they wanted'?

'At the end of the day' - Disney lost an incredible level of control and direct influence over a significant element of their operation. They also now have a court history ruling against them. They are paying for District operations that are setup in a manner THEY didn't choose.

How does one look at this and say... 'we got what we wanted'?

eddie104

If by 'got what they wanted' to mean they got the Govenor to stop squeezing their throat? Yes they did.

But they didn't GAIN anything... yet they lost tons... spent millions.. and are not in a better position than when they started. So what do you suggest was their prize and 'got what they wanted'?

'At the end of the day' - Disney lost an incredible level of control and direct influence over a significant element of their operation. They also now have a court history ruling against them. They are paying for District operations that are setup in a manner THEY didn't choose.

How does one look at this and say... 'we got what we wanted'?
They are billion dollar company so loosing a couple million is not crazy for them.

lazyboy97o

Yea that’s very debatable.

Because at the end of the day they still got what they wanted.

Ron boogeyman didn’t help his dead political ambitions at all so it definitely wasn’t very favorable for him.
The governor was able to further consolidate executive power. This has been a major focus of his tenure, changing once elected positions into appointed ones. He got Disney to become less active regarding social issues in the state and to start handing out checks. Statements have come out from Disney about content being more self-censored.

eddie104

The governor was able to further consolidate executive power. This has been a major focus of his tenure, changing once elected positions into appointed ones. He got Disney to become less active regarding social issues in the state and to start handing out checks. Statements have come out from Disney about content being more self-censored.
Yea that’s very true in that regard.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I wonder what episode 3 of The Acolyte would have been like without the self-censoring!!

;)

Last edited:

Cliff

View attachment 792615

Disney won nothing - They got a cease fire appeasement by promising to start giving back to the politicians and promising to spend money in florida. The state gave up nothing... and still has the court decisions on the books supporting their action.

Disney lost big time... they are just trying to focus on 'getting back to normal'
Stop being negative. Who's side are you on anyway?

This is a pro-Disney forum, not a pro-Ronnie forum. Maybe you could help us tow the line? Please?

Last edited:

Stripes

I wonder if Disney will somehow extend an olive branch to the Firefighters and get them their perks back... or if the district will quietly pivot back on the topic for everyone.
According to the district it was an inappropriate perk to begin with. So I don’t think the firefighters will be getting their Disney perks back. They’re SOL.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom