News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

flynnibus

Premium Member
When the skyline incident happened, RCID did not have enough staffing to even attempt to affect any type of rescues until additional staffing and mutual aid was brought in.
This is normal and the intended planned response. No agency is staffed to handle everything themselves in case of a mass-event. The system is designed for this very type of tiered and layered response. Doesn't matter if it's RCID or Hollywood, CA.

How many times have people within the district have had to rely on OC Fire for ambulances?
Again, not a sign of something wrong.

There were news stories about First Responders coming to scenes in department SUVs because there wasn't sufficient manpower to staff a rescue.
This is also normal depending on the situation. Staff can respond based on where they are depending on the kind of call it is.

The department was calling for more fire apparatus - not ambulances. The recurring theme from the union was they wanted shifts staffed with more people (because they wanted more hours) - not that they didn't have the bodies to use the equipment they already had.

MR.Dis

So, after reading the last few pages, not one instance of the CFTOD getting in the way on how Disney conducts its business. So it has zero effect. We have almost 1200 pages of comments with all this hand wringing about this horrible CFTOD, and in reality it has zero effect. People still go to the parks and spend money. Disney is still doing ongoing projects. ZERO effect. About time people realize there is a lot of hand wringing over what is actually a non issue. Yet we still have law suites with both State and Federal Courts waying in with what will end up costing millions of dollars in legal fees. The only winners here are the attorneys.

mmascari

We have almost 1200 pages of comments with all this hand wringing about this horrible CFTOD, and in reality it has zero effect.
Didn't CFTOD change the tax rate? I seem to remember that, but maybe they just proposed a change.

Even if they didn't. CFTOD certainly changed priorities on what to spend money on and is clearly spending large quantities of money on things those governed by CFTOD would rather not spend money on. With no recourse or accountability to those who pay the tax money being spent.

Maybe you don't consider that spending an impact. But when my tax money is spent and I get no input, I think that's an impact.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
So, after reading the last few pages, not one instance of the CFTOD getting in the way on how Disney conducts its business. So it has zero effect. We have almost 1200 pages of comments with all this hand wringing about this horrible CFTOD, and in reality it has zero effect. People still go to the parks and spend money. Disney is still doing ongoing projects. ZERO effect. About time people realize there is a lot of hand wringing over what is actually a non issue. Yet we still have law suites with both State and Federal Courts waying in with what will end up costing millions of dollars in legal fees. The only winners here are the attorneys.
Most of the issues that would impact Disney are medium to long-term, such as land usage. Daily operations are not the concern.

lazyboy97o

It was already explained to you that the development agreements over which the District is suing interfere with the most powerful and discretionary tool available to the board.

Last edited by a moderator:

MR.Dis

Didn't CFTOD change the tax rate? I seem to remember that, but maybe they just proposed a change.

Even if they didn't. CFTOD certainly changed priorities on what to spend money on and is clearly spending large quantities of money on things those governed by CFTOD would rather not spend money on. With no recourse or accountability to those who pay the tax money being spent.

Maybe you don't consider that spending an impact. But when my tax money is spent and I get no input, I think that's an impact.
That is just it, not your tax dollars unless you are one of the 500 or so that live in the District. Disney business has NOT been effected at all. Even the most zealous defenders of Disney controling the RCID have to admit this.

mikejs78

Premium Member
The facts do not support that. Administration changes result in new oversight and new leadership. Many non-political appointees will use transitions as a severance point for multiple reasons, including retirement options, pension calculations, unwillingness to work for a new boss, etc. For example during high level executive administration changes (president, governor, etc) especially when there is a change in party, you see a large number of these separations occur.

Please point to an example in Florida of high turnover of firefighters/emergency responders as the result of a change in administration.

They significantly reduced the amount of money to be spent on road upkeep, for one...

lazyboy97o

That is just it, not your tax dollars unless you are one of the 500 or so that live in the District. Disney business has NOT been effected at all. Even the most zealous defenders of Disney controling the RCID have to admit this. If you cannot, than quite frankly you are not being honest and letting hate for the current Florida Governor shade your opinion
For the third time, Disney was able to delay the most power tool for impacts which the District is spending significant sums to try to remove.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Most of the issues that would impact Disney are medium to long-term, such as land usage. Daily operations are not the concern.
No no no. Don't you know it's Thursday, and I haven't been impacted all week. Obviously the most adamant defenders must acknowledge that this means there is no impact at all!

I guess this is why people follow the blinky lights and can't even fathom thinking about what's behind it.

mmascari

That is just it, not your tax dollars unless you are one of the 500 or so that live in the District. Disney business has NOT been effected at all. Even the most zealous defenders of Disney controling the RCID have to admit this. If you cannot, than quite frankly you are not being honest and letting hate for the current Florida Governor shade your opinion
I didn't say it was my tax dollars. Much like it doesn't impact me either way, I didn't have RCID representation before either.

You asked if there was an impact. Those people that pay taxes to the district were most certainly impacted by the change in spending by the district with no recourse, input, or accountability at all.

Disney being impacted and Disney consumer impact in the district are not the same thing. Even if they still sell all the exact same amount of stuff to visitors, that doesn't mean Disney isn't impacted.

JohnD

The Reedy Creek Fire Department has been officially rebranded today.

Okay, fine. They changed it's name. But why change the logo? It was a perfectly good firefighter-prominent logo. Now it's the same orange tree as the district logo.

reedy-creek-fire-department-2.jpg

Brian

It's nothing spectacular, but it's really not that much of a departure from the RCFD logo. Instead of being jumbled and juxtaposed on top of each other in the middle, there are icons on the periphery.

Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 11.40.49.png
6644354039_f52a0f73f0_b.jpg

If anything is worthy of criticism, it's the name. District Fire Department sounds like something Dwight Schrute would come up with if he were in charge of picking the name.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
WDW was open most of the time that Disneyland was forced to remain closed, and that was all thanks to Gov. DeSantis.
One could argue that the Florida reopening was somewhat reckless, and the situation at Disneyland was far more measured. While not ideal for Disney, it was maybe a better option. But that is a different conversation and not for this thread.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom