News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

MagicRat

Where is the guy eating popcorn meme….

I can’t say anything political…I can’t say anything political….I can’t say anything political.

What I enjoyed second most, after the just deserts, was that the lady’s name on the school board who wants her gone is actually named Karen.

LSLS

The Florida legislature and governor cut off their noses to spite their faces.

This law is pure third world nonsense and will have a long term effect on business investment in Florida. Who wants to invest in a place where your ability to do business effectively can change due to the political whims of an autocratic leader?
You've got this all wrong. "The Florida legislature and governor cut off their noses to spider face."

drnilescrane

mikejs78

Premium Member
The text is plain that the specific powers given to the RCID cannot be taken away if they are currently part of an agreement that is repaying a bond.

The text does not state any such thing. Please show where in the text of the law that it indicates that the state will only pledge not to remove powers specified in the bonds.

You can't infer things in law.

But it says absolutely nothing about taking away powers that are not being used to repay the bonds.

It says absolutely nothing about taking away only powers that are being used to repay bonds either.

If Mr. Schumer is to be believed, any change to the RCID's ability to do any of the things mentioned above would constitute a breach of contract and be a violation of law.

Quite possibly, yes. This was also the conclusion of the state legislature in a study they conducted two decades ago.

"Removing the District’s ability to charge tolls"

According to Mr. Schumer's legal opinion, this would constitute a violation of law. However, no one from the Walt Disney Company's legal team or from the those holding legacy RCID bonds has raised any objection.

That is correct - it is likely an unconstitutional impairment of contracts. Just because the legislature did it, it doesn't mean it's legal. However, you don't just get a court to say something is illegal - someone has to bring suit. And there are two critical things that need to happen to bring suit:
  • A party must determine that bringing suit will be worth their while - i.e. that they were injured in some way, and that bringing suit can make them whole.
  • That person has to have standing to sue - their injury based on an action of the legislature has to be a real injury, and a result of the legislation.

So let's look at the parties involved:
  • Disney may consider it a violation of the law, but they don't have any standing to bring this matter in suit, as they are not a party to these contracts. The bond contracts were between RCID and the bondholders, backed by the guaruntee of the State of Florida. This is why Disney can't bring this point up in any of their lawsuits.
  • The district probably would have standing to sue, but they are controlled by the new CFTOD. board now, who has no motivation to sue over the potential imparement of contracts.
  • Bondholders would have standing to sue in this matter - but the powers removed were things that the District didn't really do anyways, so it's likely that they did not see removing those powers as an injury to their overall bond contract, and therefore not worth pursuing. However, if the State removed the power of the district to build anything, that would likely result in a material breech that someone would sue over. From S&P Global Rating's upgrade statement:
The outlook revision reflects recent state legislation that provides for the district's continued ability to levy ad valorem taxes consistent with the security pledges at the respective bond issuances, while limiting operational changes that could affect timely debt service payment

They also stated:
We also note that CFTOD's assets, liabilities (including bonds outstanding), and operational responsibilities will not be transferred to other local government units as had been contemplated under the April 2022 legislation that required the reorganization or dissolution of RCID.

and:
We view its social and governance risks as credit neutral within our analysis. In regard to governance, the provisions of the recent legislation clarify the district's governance structure, mitigating uncertainty around continued operations.

So continued operations are important to the ratings agency. This supports the point that divesting all operational powers from the district and leaving it as a bond servicing entity would not be acceptable to the bond market.

recently the several asset rating firms have upgraded the bond's rating because they feel the independent oversight will improve accountability

None of them said that. They upgraded it because the uncertainty was gone, the district wasn't going to be dissolved, and the assets and liabilities weren't going to be transferred to the counties.

RCID's powers or altering them in some way, but there has been no legal objection raised to this point. Instead, Disney's case hinges on a long shot First Amendment argument.

Because, as I stated above, Disney doesn't have standing to do so. And the points where there were changes were so minor that it probably wasn't worth it to bondholders.

I know I'm not popular around this thread

It's not personal - I have nothing against you, I just disagree with your points and think they are unworkable under the law.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Where is the guy eating popcorn meme….

I can’t say anything political…I can’t say anything political….I can’t say anything political.

What I enjoyed second most, after the just deserts, was that the lady’s name on the school board who wants her gone is actually named Karen.
…wait for it…
So we all agree that tomorrow's meeting has been canceled because it's likely Bridget gets ousted from the Sarasota County Schools Board today?
I figured she was probably having a “meet and greet” at the four seasons with two other dudes?
Maybe a couple girls?

Gotta keep your constituency happy…

OWWWWWWWW!!!

MagicRat

…wait for it…

I figured she was probably having a “meet and greet” at the four seasons with two other dudes?
Maybe a couple girls?

Gotta keep your constituency happy…

OWWWWWWWW!!!
Nah, she is busy waiting for Boebert to fly down to meet Beetlejuice at Universal.

IMG_1800.gif

DCBaker

Premium Member
Here's an update from the federal hearing today.

"Yet, in court filings and as recently as a Tuesday morning court hearing, the governor’s attorneys say DeSantis is immunefrom the lawsuit and should be removed as a defendant. And they told U.S. District Judge Allen Winsor the action was about making sure Disney played by the same rules as every other business.

But the state and the district also say it doesn’t matter if the action was retaliatory.

Citing a 2015 appellate decision, they say if a law is constitutional on its face, it doesn’t matter if it was created for retaliatory reason.

The state mentions that case in its motion to dismiss the lawsuit. But it’s extensively expanded on by attorneys for the Disney district, previously called the Reedy Creek Improvement District and renamed the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District.

Charles Cooper, an attorney for the district, talked in length about the case, telling Winsor it “dooms” Disney’s First Amendment challenge.

It’s a big argument, as Disney’s lawsuit is focused on the motive of the actions against its district. Questioned by the judge, Disney attorney Jonathan Hacker said the company wouldn’t have a constitutional claim if those actions had been done for genuine economic reasons.

Hacker told Winsor this was the most “clear case” of government retribution he was likely to find and that the defendants' arguments didn’t apply in this circumstance, despite their assertions.

Winsor’s view may soon become clear. Tuesday’s hearing featured arguments from both sides on whether he should dismiss the case. The judge said he would try to have a ruling out on that in the next couple of weeks."

Full article is available at the link below.

WoundedDreamer

The text does not state any such thing. Please show where in the text of the law that it indicates that the state will only pledge not to remove powers specified in the bonds.

You can't infer things in law.

It says absolutely nothing about taking away only powers that are being used to repay bonds either.

Quite possibly, yes. This was also the conclusion of the state legislature in a study they conducted two decades ago.

That is correct - it is likely an unconstitutional impairment of contracts. Just because the legislature did it, it doesn't mean it's legal. However, you don't just get a court to say something is illegal - someone has to bring suit. And there are two critical things that need to happen to bring suit:
  • A party must determine that bringing suit will be worth their while - i.e. that they were injured in some way, and that bringing suit can make them whole.
  • That person has to have standing to sue - their injury based on an action of the legislature has to be a real injury, and a result of the legislation.

So let's look at the parties involved:
  • Disney may consider it a violation of the law, but they don't have any standing to bring this matter in suit, as they are not a party to these contracts. The bond contracts were between RCID and the bondholders, backed by the guaruntee of the State of Florida. This is why Disney can't bring this point up in any of their lawsuits.
  • The district probably would have standing to sue, but they are controlled by the new CFTOD. board now, who has no motivation to sue over the potential imparement of contracts.
  • Bondholders would have standing to sue in this matter - but the powers removed were things that the District didn't really do anyways, so it's likely that they did not see removing those powers as an injury to their overall bond contract, and therefore not worth pursuing. However, if the State removed the power of the district to build anything, that would likely result in a material breech that someone would sue over. From S&P Global Rating's upgrade statement:

They also stated:

and:

So continued operations are important to the ratings agency. This supports the point that divesting all operational powers from the district and leaving it as a bond servicing entity would not be acceptable to the bond market.

None of them said that. They upgraded it because the uncertainty was gone, the district wasn't going to be dissolved, and the assets and liabilities weren't going to be transferred to the counties.

Because, as I stated above, Disney doesn't have standing to do so. And the points where there were changes were so minor that it probably wasn't worth it to bondholders.

It's not personal - I have nothing against you, I just disagree with your points and think they are unworkable under the law.
Let's go back to the text of the law.

The State of Florida pledges to the holders of any bonds issued under this Act that it will not limit or alter the rights of the District to own, acquire, construct, reconstruct, improve, maintain, operate or furnish the projects or to levy and collect the taxes, assessments, rentals, rates, fees, tolls, fares and other charges provided for herein and to fulfill the terms of any agreement made with the holders of such bonds or other obligations, that it will not in any way impair the rights or remedies of the holders, and that it will not modify in any way the exemption from taxation provided in the Act, until all such bonds together with interest thereon, and all costs and expenses in connection with any action or proceeding by or on behalf of such holders, are fully met and discharged.

Read that line carefully with a specific focus on "the projects." What "projects" is the law talking about? In the same sentence (it's a bit of a run on lol) we get the answer. The answer is, "to fulfill the terms of any agreement made with the holders of such bonds or other obligations." Now that's a reasonable explanation. In the preceding text of the RCID legislation (See Section 34) we see the Florida Legislature stipulate the right of RCID to issue bonds backed by revenue. This is clearly why the specific power has been given:

The District shall have the power to issue revenue bonds from time to time without limitation as to amount. Such revenue bonds may be secured by or payable from the gross or net pledge of the revenues to be derived from any project or combination of projects, from the rates, fees, tolls, fares or other charges to be collected from the users of any project or projects, from any revenue-producing undertaking or activity of the District, or from any other source or pledged security. Such bonds shall not constitute an indebtedness of the District, and the approval neither of the qualified electors nor of the qualified electors who are freeholders shall be required unless such bonds are addi- tionally secured by the full faith and credit and taxing power of the District.

Here in Section 34 we see those "projects" again. This ultimately would come to down to a decision by the judge. Personally, I think the text is pretty clear that Florida is promising not to interfere in the ability for the RCID to repay its debts. Those powers of the RCID that are not critical to paying back its debts would then be open to change or reform. Ultimately, it would come down to a court to decide. But I've presented at the very least a credible different interpretation to the narrative Mr. Schumer offered. I will note that when Mr. Schumer quoted those lines for his articles he omitted several sentences of context with the infamous "...".

To pivot to the issues of proving harm and standing, let's consider the suggestion you originally took issue with:

The answer is simply to strip the RCID of all its powers except for the ability to levy a property tax. All the other powers could be devolved to the two counties. Next, the legislature can set an end to the RCID only after the last of the legacy bonds are payable. Guarantee that the RCID cannot issue new bonds unless they are simply replacing bonds that already exist. This would prevent potential shortfall or default. Then, once the bonds are paid, the RCID ceases to function. And like that the RCID has ceased to exist and the powers are devolved.

The text of the bonds state clearly that Ad Valorem taxes would be the method of payment. Reasonable. That's why I suggested leaving the RCID's ability to levy Ad Valorem taxes uninterrupted. I also suggested that the RCID be able to issue additional bonds in the case of emergency shortfall in tax revenue.

Now, the RCID's bondholders might have the standing to sue. But could they prove harm? That's doubtful. My suggestion protects the powers necessary to repay and service the bonds. Therefore there is no harm created in my suggestion and their case would be dismissed.

All Disney would have needed to do is find a single aggrieved bondholder to file a suit and instantly have the RCID restored completely. But they didn't. Because no injury was caused by the Florida Legislature.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Let's go back to the text of the law.

The State of Florida pledges to the holders of any bonds issued under this Act that it will not limit or alter the rights of the District to own, acquire, construct, reconstruct, improve, maintain, operate or furnish the projects or to levy and collect the taxes, assessments, rentals, rates, fees, tolls, fares and other charges provided for herein and to fulfill the terms of any agreement made with the holders of such bonds or other obligations, that it will not in any way impair the rights or remedies of the holders, and that it will not modify in any way the exemption from taxation provided in the Act, until all such bonds together with interest thereon, and all costs and expenses in connection with any action or proceeding by or on behalf of such holders, are fully met and discharged.

Read that line carefully with a specific focus on "the projects." What "projects" is the law talking about? In the same sentence (it's a bit of a run on lol) we get the answer. The answer is, "to fulfill the terms of any agreement made with the holders of such bonds or other obligations." Now that's a reasonable explanation. In the preceding text of the RCID legislation (See Section 34) we see the Florida Legislature stipulate the right of RCID to issue bonds backed by revenue. This is clearly why the specific power has been given:

The District shall have the power to issue revenue bonds from time to time without limitation as to amount. Such revenue bonds may be secured by or payable from the gross or net pledge of the revenues to be derived from any project or combination of projects, from the rates, fees, tolls, fares or other charges to be collected from the users of any project or projects, from any revenue-producing undertaking or activity of the District, or from any other source or pledged security. Such bonds shall not constitute an indebtedness of the District, and the approval neither of the qualified electors nor of the qualified electors who are freeholders shall be required unless such bonds are addi- tionally secured by the full faith and credit and taxing power of the District.

Here in Section 34 we see those "projects" again. This ultimately would come to down to a decision by the judge. Personally, I think the text is pretty clear that Florida is promising not to interfere in the ability for the RCID to repay its debts. Those powers of the RCID that are not critical to paying back its debts would then be open to change or reform. Ultimately, it would come down to a court to decide. But I've presented at the very least a credible different interpretation to the narrative Mr. Schumer offered. I will note that when Mr. Schumer quoted those lines for his articles he omitted several sentences of context with the infamous "...".

To pivot to the issues of proving harm and standing, let's consider the suggestion you originally took issue with:

The text of the bonds state clearly that Ad Valorem taxes would be the method of payment. Reasonable. That's why I suggested leaving the RCID's ability to levy Ad Valorem taxes uninterrupted. I also suggested that the RCID be able to issue additional bonds in the case of emergency shortfall in tax revenue.

Now, the RCID's bondholders might have the standing to sue. But could they prove harm? That's doubtful. My suggestion protects the powers necessary to repay and service the bonds. Therefore there is no harm created in my suggestion and their case would be dismissed.

All Disney would have needed to do is find a single aggrieved bondholder to file a suit and instantly have the RCID restored completely. But they didn't. Because no injury was caused by the Florida Legislature.

That’s all well and good…but we know this is political…

It’s basically kangaroo court

Hopefully the generation of money - Disneys primary leverage in the end - will be enough to win the day.

flynnibus

Premium Member

Just being able to collect a tax - without any say in how that area is developed would be an impairment compared to what they do now.

WoundedDreamer

Just being able to collect a tax - without any say in how that area is developed would be an impairment compared to what they do now.
If I'm a bond holder, all I need is for the entity that issued the bonds to remain solvent and to have access to the revenue that backs the bonds. I don't care if it builds something else or has some regulatory powers. I just need to get my money back. As long as the RCID has the source of revenue contractually promised and is paying back the bonds, then no harm has been created. RCID's ability to zone is not meaningfully connected to its ability to pay back its debts.

Again, we'd ultimately have to let courts decide this. But I think I have presented a credible alternative legal reasoning derived from the text of the law. Trying to prove harm when they are still being backed by the contractually promised low-risk Ad Valorem taxes would be difficult.

flynnibus

Premium Member
If I'm a bond holder, all I need is for the entity that issued the bonds to remain solvent and to have access to the revenue that backs the bonds. I don't care if it builds something else or has some regulatory powers. I just need to get my money back. As long as the RCID has the source of revenue contractually promised and is paying back the bonds, then no harm has been created. RCID's ability to zone is not meaningfully connected to its ability to pay back its debts.

But this isn't fixed income revenue - it's income based on valuations, etc. So like other value based streams, the credibility of it depends on it's viability and future. So if you hinder that ability to influence and control - you hinder the marketability of those bonds as well.

Back to my earlier comment.. I think you take the point too broadly and are in effect tearing down a strawman. The bond rating of the district is based on more than just their authority to issue bonds.

Nevermore525

The case the state lawyers cited as a reason it’s okay for a government to be retaliatory doesn’t seem to have a strong standing in comparison to what is being claimed by Disney.

The referenced case is about an act passed preventing government employees from having money deducted from payroll towards organizations that engage in political activity.

Not saying Disney has a slam dunk 1A case but their claim is not the same as the one made in the cited case from the state lawyers.

JoeCamel

The case the state lawyers cited as a reason it’s okay for a government to be retaliatory doesn’t seem to have a strong standing in comparison to what is being claimed by Disney.

The referenced case is about an act passed preventing government employees from having money deducted from payroll towards organizations that engage in political activity.

Not saying Disney has a slam dunk 1A case but their claim is not the same as the one made in the cited case from the state lawyers.
You mean the CFTOD lawyers don't seem very competent?

Yeah, me too

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Most of the CFTOD board members are lawyers, think that says plenty about their competence.

Growing up in a family of mostly attorneys, and surrounded by their attorney colleagues my entire life, I can safely say that it doesn't take a genius to pass law school or the bar exam.

I'm a non-attorney, yet you should see the arguments I win during our family get togethers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom