News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

drnilescrane

There are many sites which run outrageous stories; the fine print says something like parady site.

The story appears in places like yahoo and msn. This may be the original source.
The Sarasota newspaper of record, the Herald-Tribune, has published a story:

So it's real.

Batman'sParents

It sounds like they’ve unilaterally decided to stop paying for certain city expenses covered by the agreement (after everyone finalized their budgets) and they therefore won’t renew the agreement.

It could be just one more way to pretend they aren’t raising taxes to pay lawyers and other assorted buddies.

Also, I suspect that “insurance and risk management” might be how the cities would pay their lawyers when they get swept into the state court lawsuit? There are probably people here who could answer that.

(Rank speculation alert: I guess it could also be an attempt to strong-arm the cities into agreeing to something, like control over the police contracts for example. Or who knows what else?)

The report also mentioned that the district rather than the cities collects taxes to cover those services, and presumably won’t be giving up that money. But there was no explanation of exactly how that worked.
So, could they choose to contract with Orange County to provide the services instead?

flynnibus

Premium Member
So, could they choose to contract with Orange County to provide the services instead?

They'd likely just pay some accountant and lawyers. The jist here is simply before the cities could offload most of the common work to one place and not have to duplicate efforts. It's basically a way to keep things cheap since all three entities were working in unison anyways and the city's workloads are so small they don't need full time staff of their own. Now with a combative partner, the cities will simply have to source this expertise themselves.

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Now with a combative partner, the cities will simply have to source this expertise themselves.
I predicted this as a potential outcome with friends during one of my periods of being put into time out - that the cities would take over some of RCID's responsibilities.

tissandtully

The Sarasota newspaper of record, the Herald-Tribune, has published a story:

So it's real.
Now Tampa Bay Times

DCBaker

Premium Member
The CFTOD has a new website.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Disstevefan1

The CFTOD has a new website.

Did they change the sign in front of the building yet?

pdude81

Does that choice of domain name imply they have larger asperations than just "Central Florida Tourism"?
Likely someone beat them to the ownership for CFTOD(dot)org and they didn't want to pay for it. I am hopeful they don't dump the RCID domain out of spite before the lawsuits are resolved given how many links are out there in the world.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom