News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

LSLS

Why? The Governor has the power of veto.
Nope, he could and would veto it. The Florida governor has line item veto power.
Pretty sure that is what pdude was getting at. Even if the legislature somehow got it through, the governor would then have to be ok with it (and I think we know his thoughts at this point), so it's even less of a chance.

JohnD

I vote we rotate session between Orlando, Tampa, Miami and Jax. Give Tally a break.

Better yet, Gainesville gets it for the next decade. That's what they get for spitting.... 😉
But Session is so perfectly located in a building that really gives it to you.

image-asset.jpeg

JohnD

Nope, he could and would veto it. The Florida governor has line item veto power.
The Governor only has line item veto power of the General Appropriations Act and line items in any bill that contains appropriations. He cannot line item veto most bills. Either sign, veto, or allow them to become law without signing which would be his choices of Stewart's bill if it were to "magically" pass the Legislature.

Last edited:

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
But Session is so perfectly located in a building that really gives it to you.

image-asset.jpeg

WHY the architect, Legislature, governor and those at the then DMS didn't think to take a drive down the Parkway, turn around and look back at the old Capitol to see what the view would be is beyond me.

BTW, the old Capitol was to be completely demolished and the lovely fountains & park at the back were to replace the old Capitol. But someone needed a campaign hook in 1978...

JohnD

WHY the architect, Legislature, governor and those at the then DMS didn't think to take a drive down the Parkway, turn around and look back at the old Capitol to see what the view would be is beyond me.

BTW, the old Capitol was to be completely demolished and the lovely fountains & park at the back were to replace the old Capitol. But someone needed a campaign hook in 1978...
I'm glad they kept the old Capitol as a museum. It's a beautiful building. It was restored back to, I think, how it looked in 1920 before extra wings were added. Those were demolished to make room for the new House and Senate. Still, the 22 floor tower looks like a ... and the two domed House and Senate chambers look like ... . Amazing.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Posted in Orlando Sentinel:

NOTICE OF SPECIAL MEETING
YOU WILL PLEASE TAKE NOTICE that on Wednesday, December 6, 2023 at 9:30 a.m., or as soon thereafter as practicable, the Board of Supervisors of the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District will meet at 1900 Hotel Plaza Boulevard, Lake Buena Vista, Florida to conduct such business as set on its published agenda to be posted at https://www.rcid.org/.
Interested parties may appear at the public meeting and hearing to be heard with respect to the proposed resolutions. If a person decides to appeal any decision made by the Board of Supervisors with respect to any matter considered at such meeting or hearing, he or she will need a record of the proceedings, and that, for such purpose, he or she may need to ensure that a verbatim record of the proceedings is made, which record includes the testimony and evidence upon which the appeal is to be based.
By: Alycia Mills, Clerk

The agenda for this special Board of Supervisors meeting has been published.

Screenshot 2023-11-29 at 12.17.51 PM.png

MR.Dis

The Governor only has line item veto power of the General Appropriations Act and line items in any bill that contains appropriations. He cannot line item veto most bills. Either sign, veto, or allow them to become law without signing which would be his choices of Stewart's bill if it were to "magically" pass the Legislature.
But that is the point, this bill will never even make it to floor on a Republican controlled Senate. By the way the Senate Leader is a Republican who strongly supported the original bill. The only way this sees the light of day is after the next election cycle and the Florida residents become tired of the direction of the current political course of the state and elect a Democratic majority--not as far fetched now as it appeared just 12 months ago.

tissandtully

Let’s say this situation with Exxon took place in California. I would still be totally against having a governor appointed board with the power to levy extra property taxes on Exxon’s land, control over how their tax dollars were spent, and total zoning and permitting control over Exxon’s development of their land. This is all especially true if the reason for the change was due to Exxon’s exercise of free speech, even if I disagreed with their speech.

I don’t know about anyone else, but I’m not looking at this situation through a partisan lens. What Florida has done to Disney is wrong and anti-American.
All I see is you arguing with this person I muted a while ago because their arguments are just not serious. I applaud your stamina.

Disney Analyst

Imagine the governor of a state not wanting to talk to the head of the largest taxpayer in the state. Just absolute nonsense.

This is the issue when you use populist politics as your method, you can't capitulate at all, at the risk of seeming weak to all the followers you reeled in with your populism.

He's dug himself into his own grave, and the simplest option (a meeting with Iger) will never be on the table now.

tissandtully

This is the issue when you use populist politics as your method, you can't capitulate at all, at the risk of seeming weak to all the followers you reeled in with your populism.

He's dug himself into his own grave, and the simplest option (a meeting with Iger) will never be on the table now.
Yep and it's scary the only outcome in this mindset is further escalation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom