News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Vegas Disney Fan

I just want DeSantis to care about Floridians. Him canceling that is a start. But he needs to kill this entire take over of Reedy Creek. He is making FL worse. It OBVIOUS here. Does he really care about us FLs? I still think he is all about headlines over substance. Give me a substance governor please.
Florida should have followed their own rules and made him step down to run. It was a good rule, they should have stuck to it.

I had very similar sentiments when our Senator was the majority leader, it felt like he no longer worked for us because he was working on a national scale. Because of that inattention to his constituents I’ve always felt once someone is put in a position that requires them to focus on national issues they should be set apart in a non voting leadership position and replaced with someone whos job is to continue to represent their state.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Florida should have followed their own rules and made him step down to run. It was a good rule, they should have stuck to it.

I had very similar sentiments when our Senator was the majority leader, it felt like he no longer worked for us because he was working on a national scale. Because of that inattention to his constituents I’ve always felt once someone is put in a position that requires them to focus on national issues they should be set apart in a non voting leadership position and replaced with someone whos job is to continue to represent their state.

Except that the previous version of Florida's Resign to Run law required the resignation to be effective AFTER the election. That didn't change under the amendment.

When Bob Graham ran for the US Senate in 1986, his resignation was effective 3 days before his term as US senator began. And thus Wayne Mixson became the governor...for 3 days. But then Graham was finishing up his 2nd term in 1986 and was constitutionally prohibited from running for a 3rd consecutive term.

That's what some don't realize. The Florida Constitution prohibits someone from being elected governor to 2 consecutive terms. They CAN run a 3rd time, provided they sit out for 4 years. So theoretically our governor could run for governor again in 2030.

Isamar

Disney’s motion to continue the summary judgment hearing will be heard Nov 8:

IMG_5568.jpeg

MagicHappens1971

I agree. I don’t think his conservative judges will agree with us though. I say that as an out of state conservative. Anyone looking from the outside in can see what’s happening but the state will try to cover it up for their little guy.
Without getting too political, if a conservative judge sides with a crony instead of the US Constitution & the Supremacy clause, we really are doomed.

Dcgc28

Without getting too political, if a conservative judge sides with a crony instead of the US Constitution & the Supremacy clause, we really are doomed.
Worries me because ultimately it’s a state level decision and I just don’t see how the federal government could do any type of control on it, without Disney constantly suing.

Stripes

Premium Member
Quote from Disney’s continuance filing. Very interesting. LOL!
As we all know, the District made a big deal out of the fact that proper notice was not mailed to “affected property owners” in the district. Their argument being that Disney is now entitled to all the development rights in the district and therefore none of the other property owners in the district can construct additional structures/units on their property without Disney’s written approval. It should be noted that Florida doesn’t define “affected.” Miami has defined it as property owners subject to the development agreement, which would be exclusively Disney.

However, were the property owners really “affected” if they already couldn’t improve their land without Disney’s written consent? Here’s a section from the property deed for one of the Flamingo Crossings hotels (land is owned by Marriott). The ”Declarant” is Disney, by the way. I’m sure Disney has one of these for every landowner in the district.

IMG_0487.jpeg

Last edited:

mkt

When a paradise is lost go straight to Disney™
Premium Member
Also Desantis didn’t either until they spoke out against his policy
Not even that. They stopped political contributions.

Plenty of others spoke out against his policies while still donating.

This is both retaliation for the speech and a metaphorical mafia style "breaking of legs" for refusal to pay.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

As we all know, the District made a big deal out of the fact that proper notice was not mailed to “affected property owners” in the district. Their argument being that Disney is now entitled to all the development rights in the district and therefore none of the other property owners in the district can construct additional structures/units on their property without Disney’s written approval. It should be noted that Florida doesn’t define “affected.” Miami has defined it as property owners subject to the development agreement, which would be exclusively Disney.

However, were the property owners really “affected” if they already couldn’t improve their land without Disney’s written consent? Here’s a section from the property deed for one of the Flamingo Crossings hotels (land is owned by Marriott). The ”Declarant” is Disney, by the way. I’m sure Disney has one of these for every landowner in the district.

View attachment 752842
This is something I’ve brought up before. “Improvements” doesn’t just mean building more but also things like changing the paint scheme on your building. Disney is basically the controlling HOA for all of the other property owners at Walt Disney World. They easily could have had representatives for all landowners show up to those meetings where the legislative findings were “reviewed” to state that they have not been impacted by the contracts. Yes it would have been a bit showy but it would have established a record but also shown that the board’s actions were premeditated and not in service of their constituents.

MrPromey

This is something I’ve brought up before. “Improvements” doesn’t just mean building more but also things like changing the paint scheme on your building. Disney is basically the controlling HOA for all of the other property owners at Walt Disney World. They easily could have had representatives for all landowners show up to those meetings where the legislative findings were “reviewed” to state that they have not been impacted by the contracts. Yes it would have been a bit showy but it would have established a record but also shown that the board’s actions were premeditated and not in service of their constituents.
And it isn't like any of these third parties were strong-armed into any of this.

They came in knowing exactly what they were signing up for and agreeing to so it isn't like they were in need of someone coming in and saving them.

It's not like they were innocent naive home-owners that got swindled by Disney and now can't add a satellite dish or solar power to their homes or something.

All the businesses coming into this knew this was Disney's thing and 2/3 of the appeal was the ability for them to look and act like they are a part of that thing.

Last edited:

GrumpyFan

It seems like mostly political banter to make Desantis look bad, but still good to see that it's not being swept under the rug. Keeping eyes on them and this clown show certainly helps in the court of public opinion, and perhaps some even in the official courts if it appears they are no better than what they were supposedly trying to fix.

Disney Analyst

It seems like mostly political banter to make Desantis look bad, but still good to see that it's not being swept under the rug. Keeping eyes on them and this clown show certainly helps in the court of public opinion, and perhaps some even in the official courts if it appears they are no better than what they were supposedly trying to fix.

And if there really was an issue with the setup of the district after all these years, I don’t think many would have cared if they made some adjustments.

However, blowing it all up and taking it over… was dumb.

tissandtully

That's almost 11% of the staff. Losing 11% of your staff due to resignations - in any government entity or company - is a bad look. Let's see how the CFTOD ignores this or spins it.
This was the intention, drive out people who know what they are doing, any intellectuals, anyone who cares about a functioning government and replace with cronies. Same thing happened with New College.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom