News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Isamar

I suppose many of the firefighters will be upset with their union considering it was this new agreement that paved the way for CFTOD to get rid of the benefits.

Without this agreement, CFTOD would be bound by their prior union contract to continue paying for the park benefits.

I’m sure some firefighters wanted to work for RCID specifically for the park perks so that has to hurt.

I wonder if Disney will give the retired firefighters that had 15 years of service the benefits anyway. Now that they’re retired, I don’t think that would run afoul of any laws.

I don’t know whether the exclusion of Disney benefits was actually a new term. It would actually make sense as a term for all labour agreements even if the district’s current intention was to continue those benefits (because they couldn’t guarantee that Disney would continue to offer the program).

But whether it was an old term or a new one, it was certainly top-of-mind for the Board. Garcia was certainly quick to mention it and I doubt that he’s read the agreement in any detail himself.

lazyboy97o

I don’t know whether the exclusion of Disney benefits was actually a new term. It would actually make sense as a term for all labour agreements even if the district’s current intention was to continue those benefits (because they couldn’t guarantee that Disney would continue to offer the program).

But whether it was an old term or a new one, it was certainly top-of-mind for the Board. Garcia was certainly quick to mention it and I doubt that he’s read the agreement in any detail himself.
What this really shows is that the benefit has been known for months. This just adds more credence to the idea that the announcement and referral were to cover up for the clear ethical violations regarding Gilzean.

EeyoreFan#24

This is in the copy of the agreement attached to last month’s meeting package. I’d be interested in whether this was a standard clause already used in other agreements, or was it new?View attachment 738986
Interesting, so it wasn’t just not protected by the union, it was specifically excluded to be in complete control of the board.

I wonder if this was a negotiation point or something they gave in on or just didn’t think it would actually go down like that.

Thanks for the clip. Interesting to see how this will fall out.

seascape

All union members thinking that retirement benefits are never going to be repealed should remember this and other benefits taken away from those who have retired in the past. The loss of the passes are agreed to by the union not only represent all current employees but retired too. That is why I tried to get my union to never agree to give up anything especially on future employees because in the future they would sell out retirees. I feel really bad for people who worked for years at The RCID believing they would have lifetime passes and not find their benefit is now going to others as a cash bonus.

Stellajack

Premium Member
I’ve had this app for about six years. I don’t care about this forum. I never come here to the forum because I don’t care about this. But I open the WDWMAGIC app to see news about rides, hotels and menus and 6 out of the last 12 headlines in 2 days have been on this topic. That is what I’m leaving. The app.
So now you equivocate? (Look it up). Many of us ARE interested in the forum discussions regarding the politics of CFTOD's actions.

lazyboy97o

Interesting, so it wasn’t just not protected by the union, it was specifically excluded to be in complete control of the board.

I wonder if this was a negotiation point or something they gave in on or just didn’t think it would actually go down like that.

Thanks for the clip. Interesting to see how this will fall out.
I think @Isamar would be correct in that any employer wouldn’t want to be in a position to guarantee something they don’t actually control. A contract can’t create obligations for a third party that isn’t actually a party to the contract.

I also don’t think they were planning to get rid of this benefit and duped the union into a concession. They haven’t been that good at thinking two moves ahead. I thought they finally had with the sheriff’s issue but I gave them way too much credit. This seems more like it was an easy straw to grasp on short notice. Despite being a decades long program they could only be bothered to upload a single invoice from December 2021.

TtocsMc

I don't see this happening, but Disney could make themselves out to look like the heroes in this situation by offering a special AP to the firefighters and all first responders, really. I thought they did this already, but can't seem to find anything. Maybe they did in the past. Regardless, I think they should add a special discount for them.
And what about the other district employees that provide service to their property and guests, as well as all of the retired employees who gave 30+ years of service with the understanding that they and their families would have a life pass?

Basil of Baker Street

Again. You are missing my point. It is a luxury “perk/benefit”. Im not saying its okay for them to lose it etc. but to say its life altering to me is non sense. Losing medical or increased cost where someone needs ro choose between paying rent/food/gas etc vs medical. Thats life altering not having to decide whether one goes to Disney parks…
If you count on the passes as part of your total compensation, I don't think you can label it "luxury". That is like saying company sponsored daycare is luxury then have it taken from you.

Splash4eva

If you count on the passes as part of your total compensation, I don't think you can label it "luxury". That is like saying company sponsored daycare is luxury then have it taken from you.
Honestly. Im done going back and forth. If you wanna say day care is compared to theme park tickets. Its a convo thats pointless. You can “rely” on it all you want but going to a theme park is Not a necessity. Good luck to all with this continuing discussion.

irishbanshee315

Honestly. Im done going back and forth. If you wanna say day care is compared to theme park tickets. Its a convo thats pointless. You can “rely” on it all you want but going to a theme park is Not a necessity. Good luck to all with this continuing discussion.
Neither is Daycare. Both parents chose to work the same schedule. Parents can work opposite schedules. Better yet one parent stay home to raise their children.

sedati

If the firefighters got their new contract, and Disney offered to compensate them for their lost passes with discounts, they'd sort of get to have their cake and eat it, too, which is maybe not the message Disney wants to send. The situation feels like "You made your bed, now lie in it." If I were Disney, I'd want them to feel the sting of their hasty decision to back CFTOD, assuming that they would be better to work with than RCID. If they start to feel that CFTOD is worse to deal with than RCID was, that works in Disney's favor. In addition, I'm not sure Disney would offer a discount large enough to compensate for the lost benefit, since it would likely have to be offered to all firefighters, not just RCFD to avoid the appearance of impropriety.
Disney can sign them all up for the Jelly of the Month Club. They chose “Oversight” over “Improvement” so they shouldn’t be surprised by the outcome.

Goofyernmost

Disney was not and still is not their employer.

RCID/CFTOD employees are not Disney park workers and do not work for any department that is part of Disney.

That it was a better value in their compensation package than other stuff is a reason to be mad about it. It is clearly a reduction in pay. A reduction by CFTOD not by Disney.

If Disney were to directly give this to the CFTOD employees, it would be a gift. It's certainly not compensation or benefits, since none of those people work for Disney. This is the scenario that was being discussed.

The former structure was a RCID employee benefit paid for by RCID not by Disney. A program available to many companies to purchase from Disney. A program that likely cost less when purchased this way than if individuals purchased it. That made it a win-win for RCID and the employees. RCID spent less on the benefit than the value employees gained through the program than RCID would need to spend to give employees enough direct cash to purchase the same value on their own.

Eliminating the benefit, or replacing it with something of less value is a compensation reduction. It should be viewed as a compensation reduction by employees and they can react however they want based on that information. If the difference in value is substantial to an employee they'll react one way, if it's minimal, they're react a different way.

There's no way for Disney to make this up and return the employees back to the higher compensation level, since they are not employees of Disney. There's all kinds of reasons Disney couldn't make direct payments to government employees.
I'm sorry if I misunderstood. I thought that this whole thing if pushed far enough would encompass all of the group on what essentially is Disney property. Lets not be children and not believe that RCID was formed and governed by the company that they were established to support, WDW and no one else. They never were legalized employees of Disney but we all know where the money was coming from that supported RCID. So if you say that one group, Disney or not, is not allowed to give that particular perk to RCID than that will surely leach out to the WDW/Disney employee pool. And even beyond to any employer in the state that offers no cost perks to employee's. It is much bigger than just CFTOD.

And for the sake of more clarity I will happily say that I know that the Employees of RCID were not employees of Disney. As long as we are playing Ostridge here and burying our heads in the sand, they are completely separate and Disney NEVER had any influence over the management of RCID. Even though in the business world so many companies have subsidiaries that are legally formed as independent but you can believe the Papa is watching over them closely.

Goofyernmost

It's a cash equivalent, and at the going rate of tickets it adds up quickly. 2 adult and 2 child Incredipasses are almost $6000. But the Disney Main Entrance Pass also allows for the inclusion of a Grandparent, a kid's friend, a visiting cousin, etc. Disney charges between $184-$247 per 1-day park hopper. So another $1K for every 5ish visits you might bring someone else. When you are making $50K a year a $7000 admission benefit is the equivalent of 14% of your salary, tax free. For a middle class, blue-collar worker being able to make that happen for your family? Don't speak for them and say it's not life altering.
So do you think that if Disney stopped giving that out that they pay enough that employees can afford to actually go there for fun. Those numbers are quite impressive when you figure that they probably go often which they wouldn't if they had to pay those prices. Besides the way it worked was the same as what an AP would cost and in the grand scheme of thing that wouldn't amount to a hill of beans by the time Disney got through with the accounting for it.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
True, mainly because the benefit was probably provided pre-tax or perhaps even included as a perk that would exclude it from being taxed.

Such benefits are not pre-tax. The IRC is pretty specific on what employer benefits are pre-tax: health insurance, government retirement plans such as a 457(b) or 403(b).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom