News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Chi84

Premium Member
Another argument is this:

The state never did a thing to stop or hurt Disney's freedom speech. Absolutely nothing at all. In fact, Disney today is still 100% free to say anything they want. They back any poltical movement they choose and attack any politician they deem necessary. They can be an activist for any cause today.

The state only modified "their" RCID government. RCID is not a tool or advocate for the Walt Disney corporation. RCID's responsibility is to the general "public" and needs of the "citizens" of the state of "Florida"

Florida might argue that if Disney feels "attacked" because the state meesed with "Disney's RCID" government?....then that is a major problem.

Disney would then be admitting that RCID was just a "puppet government" of the company and the state actually "hurt" Disney by taking their "puppet" away.

To me, this is a complicated mess. Disney MUST walk a tight rope to prove that RCID was "not" a "puppet government" for Disney and that it always was 100% dedicated ONLY to the general public needs....yet still hurt Disney by making changes to it and replacing the board.

How does Disney have both at the same time? I dont know. Only the courts can judge that.
This was discussed extensively earlier in the thread, with all kinds of supporting and explanatory documents as to the nature of RCID and how/why it was set up as it was. I'm assuming you haven't read any of that.

Cliff

This was discussed extensively earlier in the thread, with all kinds of supporting and explanatory documents as to the nature of RCID and how/why it was set up as it was. I'm assuming you haven't read any of that.
I dont think that the state of Florida is reading this forum...or it's attournys...or the courts are either...

Wendy Pleakley

Another argument is this:

The state never did a thing to stop or hurt Disney's freedom speech. Absolutely nothing at all. In fact, Disney today is still 100% free to say anything they want. They back any poltical movement they choose and attack any politician they deem necessary. They can be an activist for any cause today.

The state only modified "their" RCID government. RCID is not a tool or advocate for the Walt Disney corporation. RCID's responsibility is to the general "public" and needs of the "citizens" of the state of "Florida"

Florida might argue that if Disney feels "attacked" because the state meesed with "Disney's RCID" government?....then that is a major problem.

Disney would then be admitting that RCID was just a "puppet government" of the company and the state actually "hurt" Disney by taking their "puppet" away.

To me, this is a complicated mess. Disney MUST walk a tight rope to prove that RCID was "NOT" a "puppet government" for Disney and that it always was 100% dedicated ONLY to the general public needs....yet, Florida still hurt Disney by making changes to RCID and replacing the board.

How does Disney have both at the same time? I dont know. Only the courts can judge that.

Of course Disney was hurt.

They entered into a deal in which they shoulder a heavier burden in terms of paying for things like roads. In exchange, they got to control the decision making process.

The deal Disney had was changed, to their disadvantage, as punishment for speech.

It couldn't be simpler or more clear.

Cliff

Of course Disney was hurt.

They entered into a deal in which they shoulder a heavier burden in terms of paying for things like roads. In exchange, they got to control the decision making process.

The deal Disney had was changed, to their disadvantage, as punishment for speech.

It couldn't be simpler or more clear.
My guess is that the state will argue that RCID was created to support thousands of citizens like the Villiges does. WDW has virtually zero actual, real citizens. I think Disney has placed 8 people in mobile homes to "act" as legal citizens of RCID? I dunno.

I also do suspect that Florida's Investigator General is parcing through years of RCID/Disney documents to possibly trap Disney in a corruption accusation. We know the IG is currently digging. We dont know what they are finding but I'm "GUESSING" this will be a future plan of the state against Disney.

Again....non of us knows what both sides are planning behind closed doors. Like all of us here...we are just spit-balling in the dark. I suspect that this fight will get WAY uglier in the future.

What "we" all say on this forum does not matter. It's how the "courts" define and judge the problems that matter. Many of us thought thid was a "slam dunk" for Disney but Im guessing that it's not that easy anymore.

jinx8402

Wrong. RCID was set up to facilitate Disney's needs that the counties could not provide to support the goal of tourism. It was not for the public needs of the citizens of the state.

lazyboy97o

My guess is that the state will argue that RCID was created to support thousands of citizens like the Villiges does. WDW has virtually zero actual, real citizens. I think Disney has placed 8 people in mobile homes to "act" as legal citizens of RCID? I dunno.

I also do suspect that Florida's Investigator General is parcing through years of RCID/Disney documents to possibly trap Disney in a corruption accusation. We know the IG is currently digging. We dont know what they are finding but I'm "GUESSING" this will be a future plan of the state against Disney.

Again....non of us knows what both sides are planning behind closed doors. Like all of us here...we are just spit-balling in the dark. I suspect that this fight will get WAY uglier in the future.

What "we" all say on this forum does not matter. It's how the "courts" define and judge the problems that matter. Many of us thought thid was a "slam dunk" for Disney but Im guessing that it's not that easy anymore.
Again, irrelevant. The information has been provided to you.

Cliff

No, but they should be reading the amicus brief and their own state laws and regulations. Hint, being a puppet government is irrelevant.
How many times in history have you 100% believed that some case was a CLEAR victory or loss in your opinion....only to find out that a court decided against your belief or understaning?

I bet a hundred times in your life.

Every lawyer believes "their" understanding of a law is correct. Half of them win, the other half loses.

Even the smartest, sharpest, brightest Harvard-trained lawyers lose...because the courts do not agree with them

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

How many times in history have you 100% believed that some case was a CLEAR victory or loss in your opinion....only to find out that a court decided against your belief or understaning?

I bet a hundred times in your life.

Every lawyer believes "their" understanding of a law is correct. Half if them win, the other half loses.
This has nothing to do with certainty. Recognizing uncertainty does not require indulging you once again bringing up debunked claims. Reedy Creek Improvement District was not predicated on having a bunch of residents. Special districts that vote by landownership are expected to serve the land owners.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
This has nothing to do with certainty. Recognizing uncertainty does not require indulging you once again bringing up debunked claims. Reedy Creek Improvement District was not predicated on having a bunch of residents. Special districts that vote by landownership are expected to serve the land owners.

To validate your point, how many residents does the West Orange Airport Authority (an independent special district) have? Probably fewer than RCID.

mmascari

RCID was set up to facilitate Disney's needs that the counties could not provide to support the goal of tourism. It was not for the public needs of the citizens of the state.
I would rephrase this slightly.

"RCID was set up to facilitate land owners within the district boundry needs that the counties could not provide to support the goal of tourism. It was not for the public needs of the citizens of the state."

This is super pedantic I realize. But, it avoids all the talk about some special thing for a corporation. It avoids having endless talk about how Disney isn't the only one impacted by the district. About how Disney shouldn't get to control a government entitity.

Simultanously, it makese clear two things. A government should be responsible to those within it's government control. The change created a government that is not accountable to those it governs which is a direct impact and loss to those subject to it's governance.

Once you remove "Disney" from the description, and whatever someone feels about how Disney is run, it sounds much much worse.

Cliff

I would rephrase this slightly.

"RCID was set up to facilitate land owners within the district boundry needs that the counties could not provide to support the goal of tourism. It was not for the public needs of the citizens of the state."

This is super pedantic I realize. But, it avoids all the talk about some special thing for a corporation. It avoids having endless talk about how Disney isn't the only one impacted by the district. About how Disney shouldn't get to control a government entitity.

Simultanously, it makese clear two things. A government should be responsible to those within it's government control. The change created a government that is not accountable to those it governs which is a direct impact and loss to those subject to it's governance.

Once you remove "Disney" from the description, and whatever someone feels about how Disney is run, it sounds much much worse.
If RCID was setup and intended to support (for all intents and purposes) the Walt Disney Company...if that was RCID's charter, primary directive and goal? Then what leagal or ethical limitations did it have? If Florida intended Disney to have 100% power over RCID, it seems that the company was just given authority to do whatever it pleased?

Could Disney make RCID issue low tax public bonds and turn around and use that money to fund a roller coaster? Why not? RCID's reason for existing was to promote tourism and the land owner's (Disney's) goals?

Some call RCID the "Vatican" for Disney. Was Disney and it's Experimental, Prototype Community of Tomorrow... given somewhat unlimited power via RCID? Was that Florida's intention?

lazyboy97o

If RCID was setup and intended to support (for all intents and purposes) the Walt Disney Company...if that was RCID's charter, primary directive and goal? Then what leagal or ethical limitations did it have? If Florida intended Disney to have 100% power over RCID, it seems that the company was just given authority to do whatever it pleased?

Could Disney make RCID issue low tax public bonds and turn around and use that money to fund a roller coaster? Why not? RCID's reason for existing was to promote tourism and the land owner's (Disney's) goals?

Some call RCID the "Vatican" for Disney. Was Disney and it's Experimental, Prototype Community of Tomorrow... given somewhat unlimited power via RCID? Was that Florida's intention?
Have you read the original charter, the state Supreme Court ruling and the legislative research report from 2004?

Chip Chipperson

No, municipal bonds couldn't be issued to build a roller coaster. WDW has existed for over 50 years without that happening so why would you think it ever could or would?

Chi84

Premium Member

People are directing you to the documents, court decisions and legal analyses that answer your questions. Read them. These questions have been addressed and the legality of RCID upheld by the Florida Supreme Court.

mikejs78

Premium Member

No, they are saying that their representation was taken away from them AND that a board was appointed with the express goal of punishing them and making their life difficult because of their speech.

My guess is that the state will argue that RCID was created to support thousands of citizens like the Villiges does. WDW has virtually zero actual, real citizens.

Well, that would be contrary to what the original legislation that created RCID said.

I also do suspect that Florida's Investigator General is parcing through years of RCID/Disney documents to possibly trap Disney in a corruption accusation. We know the IG is currently digging. We dont know what they are finding

The AG was digging into one specific thing related to the developer agreement. They didn't find anything.

There's no certainty, and I stated earlier a few things in this case that were not in Disney's favor, but your claims are not based in reality.

No, because the RCID charter specifically stated the things that RCID could do. It placed limits on RCID's powers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom