News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

Weather_Lady

As an experienced attorney/employee in the federal courts, I'm surprised by the at-turns flamboyant, inflammatory, and unsophisticated language used in these filings. Is this typical of legal writing in the Southern states -- perhaps a cultural difference between what is considered proper there, and up here in the northeast? Or is this just the work of attorneys who are transparently trying to titillate the public or give sound bytes to the tabloid news, rather than be taken seriously by the court?

At the level and location where I work, judges would roll their eyes at this kind of writing -- if not openly rebuke the attorneys who engaged in it.

UNCgolf

As an experienced attorney/employee in the federal courts, I'm surprised by the at-turns flamboyant, inflammatory, and unsophisticated language used in these filings. Is this typical of legal writing in the Southern states -- perhaps a cultural difference between what is considered proper there, and up here in the northeast? Or is this just the work of attorneys who are transparently trying to titillate the public or give sound bytes to the tabloid news, rather than be taken seriously by the court?

At the level and location where I work, judges would roll their eyes at this kind of writing -- if not openly rebuke the attorneys who engaged in it.

No, it is absolutely not typical of Southern legal writing. I'm in Atlanta at one of the largest corporate law firms in the world and we'd never file something like this.

This is PR spin as a legal filing.

Chi84

Premium Member

I clerked for a state appellate court judge many years ago and he wouldn't even put up with this type of language in the parties' briefs. He was known to sua sponte strike a statement of facts section with leave to file an amended brief within 24 hours of the entry of the order. Once a few attorneys were seriously inconvenienced by this nonsense, we tended to get much more readable briefs.

drnilescrane

Ah, yes! I was just coming back to ask if you were talking about the Federal suit.
The CFTOD Federal Motion to Dismiss was filed yesterday too - I think it went unnoticed because of the state action.

I thought we'd get some spicy language in this one, but no, they *really* just want to fight this in state court and aren't even going to bother making any arguments.

Attachments

• show_temp.pl-4.pdf
    134.6 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

Weather_Lady

With Ashley Moody’s name first as submitter, is it assumed she had a main role in it’s writing?
Not necessarily. Underlings often do the heavy lifting when it comes to researching and writing, so she may have made significant changes and be responsible for the style, or she may simply have reviewed it and signed her name. Regardless, a lawyer is ultimately 100% responsible for the things to which they sign their name, whether they wrote them or not.

lazyboy97o

So does the District not think the federal judge knows what “void ad initio” means? It’s just striking how they don’t use the phrase at all in their federal filing after using it so much in the state filing.

You have to love though how they argument that the venue is inappropriate because of the requirements in the agreements they say are void. Again, do they think the contradiction won’t be noticed? When it’s adjacent sentences?

Chi84

Premium Member
So does the District not think the federal judge knows what “void ad initio” means? It’s just striking how they don’t use the phrase at all in their federal filing after using it so much in the state filing.

You have to love though how they argument that the venue is inappropriate because of the requirements in the agreements they say are void. Again, do they think the contradiction won’t be noticed? When it’s adjacent sentences?
It’s void ab initio. Did they misspell it or was this an autocorrect?

hopemax

The Above the Law blog has a new entry from Joe Patrice about something he noticed in the Moore v Harper Supreme Court decision. The decision includes mention of the Contracts Clause, as an example of how state legislatures are constrained. Something the court has not invoked in awhile. The speculation, is that the Contracts Clause was not randomly included, but a signal from the high court that they are watching the Disney situation in Florida.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

The Above the Law blog has a new entry from Joe Patrice about something he noticed in the Moore v Harper Supreme Court decision. The decision includes mention of the Contracts Clause, as an example of how state legislatures are constrained. Something the court has not invoked in awhile. The speculation, is that the Contracts Clause was not randomly included, but a signal from the high court that they are watching the Disney situation in Florida.

Maybe I don't follow the Supreme Court close enough, but it seems odd, and even problematic actually, that they would be dropping hints about other potentially future cases.

That said, it doesn't seem to bode well for the arguments that this is purely a state matter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom