News Reedy Creek Improvement District and the Central Florida Tourism Oversight District

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
There are small airlines serving Florida (they come and go) but sadly TLH and even GNV air service is pretty much entirely connections through ATL and CLT. Flying between Florida citites can be a real challenge.

Major cities, no. But smaller, yes. But given the abundance of interstates between major cities and the Florida Turnpike, many of us just drive.

Kinda silly to fly from Miami to West Palm when it's about 80 minutes on I-95. Or 3 hours from Orlando to Miami.

MrPromey

So a closet duster that grew a conscience?
Or maybe someone who likes the parks who thought he was being appointed to do real work or at least understood what was going on but thought there was opportunity to do real work only to realize the truth once there.

Would also explain why he spoke so little at the meetings.

I mean, either way, he was either there (in the park) because he wanted to be, because someone he cares about wanted to be or because he thought he should get a better understanding of the place for his work on the board.

None of those feel like they would align very well with Destantis' intentions when setting this board.

If just sticking it to Disney was not really your personal goal, I assume you'd get tired of the company you're keeping there pretty quickly.

I mean, anyone who wasn't looking to wage perpetual war with Disney and their fandom who thought this change in government was the new reality and thought they were going to be a part of it would have to realize by now that this is going to be nothing but a headache, right?

For those who want the fight, that might get them out of bed in the mornings but for more normal folks who have nothing to gain personally or politically from being entangled in a public fight like this, why keep on if you don't have to?

Last edited:

drnilescrane

Or maybe someone who likes the parks who thought he was being appointed to do real work or at least understood what was going on but thought there was opportunity to do real work only to realize the truth once there.
The governor definitely promised different things to different appointees. We've talked about Peri and Ziegler, but I think Garcia, Sasso and Aungst were lead to believe that RCID was the site of some gross malfeasance by Disney and needed competent attorneys - like them - to reshape it into a model of governance. The governor clearly wanting CFTOD to have an air of legitimacy.

drnilescrane

MSG uses facial recognition to enforce a ban on all lawyers who work in a firm with legal action against MSG. The ban includes lawyers not working on the case. It includes lawyers not even licensed in NY.

I don't think Disney currently has such a policy
That's sort of what I was alluding to.

Disney does name matches on databases and I'm sure they have facial recognition at the US parks now. I've been behind somebody at the tapstiles when they've gotten pinged as a known undesirable.

I don't think they go as far as MSG - it would be all over the news - but it would be hilarious if they did in this instance.

tsv69

I asked this on another thread - wouldn't this mean the taxpayers in Orange County would have to foot the bill for all the services that Disney currently pays the cost for? Water, fire protection, etc. ...

Yeesh.
Yes, plus they will be liable for the 1 to 1.6 billion that Reedy Creek owes right now.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
That's sort of what I was alluding to.

Disney does name matches on databases and I'm sure they have facial recognition at the US parks now. I've been behind somebody at the tapstiles when they've gotten pinged as a known undesirable.

I don't think they go as far as MSG - it would be all over the news - but it would be hilarious if they did in this instance.

I know that if the tap of your finger doesn't work after several attempts, someone with an iPad will come over and take your picture that will be used for park entrance in the future.

I've been addressed by my name after going through the tapstyles - "Enjoy your day in Epcot, Joe"

I imagine that those trespassed would be flagged in their system, either by the individual's AP (if they have one), a photo or some other means.

DisneyHead123

What’s the leadership attitude other than saying whatever will get the nomination?
True, but leaders both reflect and influence the population. It’s not about what Trump thinks as an individual, it’s about: 1. His perception that this is now the popular populist viewpoint in his party, which is a turnaround from a few months ago and 2. The reverse being true, that his stance will in turn influence his fans. Again, it seems like a significant development.

DisneyHead123

There’s a big difference between political speech or bravado and actually taking action. Trump has had various conflicts with corporations over his political career but hasn’t done much to actually take actions or attempt to harm their business. Amazon is a good example. Trump claimed he would take down Amazon once he was elected including ending their use of USPS to deliver packages. Under his administration Amazon (AWS) did lose some pentagon contracts but there was never any direct legislative or executive action taken to attempt to harm Amazon’s business. It was all talk. I don’t think DeSantis realizes that it’s supposed to be an act played out to gin up support from the base and that he only has to say it but not really do anything to please those people.
Agree, but as I said above, I think an official Trump endorsement of a stance is socially significant, if nothing else. He has a big following.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Agree, but as I said above, I think an official Trump endorsement of a stance is socially significant, if nothing else. He has a big following.
I don’t think it makes much of a difference. We’ve been told for 6+ years now not to take what he says seriously, especially if it’s a political speech. I think most people, both supporters and haters, have been conditioned to largely ignore the substance of what he says almost entirely. I don’t think we will get the opportunity to see how it plays out but if Trump won the election I doubt he would do anything involving RCID or Disney.

matt9112

Well actually, Publix is #1, Disney is #2.
View attachment 716865

Okay, so they are the largest taxpayer in Central Florida. Over a billion dollars.

I can't really find concrete information on the largest driver of tourism in Florida, but Disney is definitely one of the largest.

For a fun fact:
"Orlando’s population grew by more than 165% since Disney World opened, according to the U.S. Census Bureau. Its population of 287,442 as of July 1, 2019 is almost triple its population of 99,006 in 1970." link

Orlando would not exist as it does today without Disney, point blank period.

You mean orlando would still be affordable to live in? When can we send disney packing? I prefer the affordable living conditions.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You mean orlando would still be affordable to live in? When can we send disney packing? I prefer the affordable living conditions.
There are plenty of places to move to that are very affordable to live compared to Orlando….a lot with little to no jobs available. Even right in FL there are many rural counties that are cheaper to live in. Those places probably closely resemble what the Orlando area would be like if Disney never arrived in FL. There’s also a reason that people aren’t moving there in large numbers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom