Reduced Benefits

Chelseaboy

Original Poster
My family and I have visited WDW many times but had to cancel this year's visit due to COV-ID; however, now the family total 14 it is becoming more costly as more rooms are needed ( we have stayed at Port Orleans Riverside, even when it was Dixie Landings, Coronado Springs, Music ). It is becoming more costly because of daily parking charges at Disney Resort Hotels, and it seems the Free Disney Dining Plan is unlikely to be re-introduced any time soon. We are now evaluating going again in 2022 but, if the parking fees are still applied and we have to pay for Dining, then 2022 will possibly cost too much. Disney has cut back on Park Hours and open Parks so the 'value for money' feeling we previously had, will disappear, which is a great shame and very disappointing for the younger family members. Hopefully, and it is big hope, by the time we consider a 2022 booking, Disney will cancel it's parking charges at Resort Hotels and re-introduce the Free Dining Plans. I think if Disney wants to attract people back they should review their 2022 offerings. One thing that still annoys me is when we first went over 20 odd years ago our free-fill mugs could be used "for life", now you have to pay for it, and it can only be used at your own Disney Resort Hotel!

John park hopper

Disney is like the government once a tax or fee is put into place it is never removed. I don't see the resort parking fee ever being removed, in fact Disney raised it shortly after they started it. Once a vaccine is available to the masses you will see Disney attendance skyrocket and and Disney will once again be on the ever price increase/reduced benefits plan.

Chelseaboy

Original Poster
Disney is like the government once a tax or fee is put into place it is never removed. I don't see the resort parking fee ever being removed, in fact Disney raised it shortly after they started it. Once a vaccine is available to the masses you will see Disney attendance skyrocket and and Disney will once again be on the ever price increase/reduced benefits plan.
I'm sure you are right so we can look forward to 21days x 3 Cars x $20 = $1260, then $50 food per day x 21days x 14 people = $14700 giving total $15960 extra; and that's without accommodation costs, airfares, and car hire costs. Looks like it will be no Disney for us :(

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm sure you are right so we can look forward to 21days x 3 Cars x $20 = $1260, then $50 food per day x 21days x 14 people = $14700 giving total $15960 extra; and that's without accommodation costs, airfares, and car hire costs. Looks like it will be no Disney for us :(
Yes...

And there was a road to get there that everyone traveled - including you and I.

erasure fan1

I think if Disney wants to attract people back they should review their 2022 offerings.
I think Disney firmly believes they don't need to attract anyone. No amount of price hikes, upcharges, reduction in value has kept anyone away. In fact, it has lead to record attendance. So I'm not sure what incentive they have to attract anyone. They are assuming that once things are back to a more normal state, the flood of people will return. And you can bet they are going squeeze every guest as hard as they can to make up for the lost time.

Club Cooloholic

I think Disney firmly believes they don't need to attract anyone. No amount of price hikes, upcharges, reduction in value has kept anyone away. In fact, it has lead to record attendance. So I'm not sure what incentive they have to attract anyone. They are assuming that once things are back to a more normal state, the flood of people will return. And you can bet they are going squeeze every guest as hard as they can to make up for the lost time.
Yup there is a pandemic and parks are booking up for the holidays. As for fees, lets not say "government" and Disney are the only ones doing this. Consider your cable bill now vs. 30 years ago. Insane. Consider hotels, all the add on fees. You like your city stadium? Well hotel taxes usually cover that.
Post Edit: I do think though if they don't bring back magic hours, they are basically daring guests to find alternatives outside the World.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
...blue ocean

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
My family and I have visited WDW many times but had to cancel this year's visit due to COV-ID; however, now the family total 14 it is becoming more costly as more rooms are needed ( we have stayed at Port Orleans Riverside, even when it was Dixie Landings, Coronado Springs, Music ). It is becoming more costly because of daily parking charges at Disney Resort Hotels, and it seems the Free Disney Dining Plan is unlikely to be re-introduced any time soon. We are now evaluating going again in 2022 but, if the parking fees are still applied and we have to pay for Dining, then 2022 will possibly cost too much. Disney has cut back on Park Hours and open Parks so the 'value for money' feeling we previously had, will disappear, which is a great shame and very disappointing for the younger family members. Hopefully, and it is big hope, by the time we consider a 2022 booking, Disney will cancel it's parking charges at Resort Hotels and re-introduce the Free Dining Plans. I think if Disney wants to attract people back they should review their 2022 offerings. One thing that still annoys me is when we first went over 20 odd years ago our free-fill mugs could be used "for life", now you have to pay for it, and it can only be used at your own Disney Resort Hotel!

If you want Disney on the cheap, price out the value resorts and ask for connecting (and not just adjoining) rooms for that two-bedroom (and two bathroom) feel.

Or, consider a house or AirBnB rental that can accommodate everyone. The money you'll save there will more than cover parking fees and car rentals.

If staying off-site, consider one or a few members of your group to get APs that will give you free parking at the parks and give everyone PhotoPass.

Also consider going two years in a row, but at 11 months apart. That way an Annual Pass will pay for both years in a row.

Hope you find a solution amenable to your group!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If you want Disney on the cheap, price out the value resorts and ask for connecting (and not just adjoining) rooms for that two-bedroom (and two bathroom) feel.

Or, consider a house or AirBnB rental that can accommodate everyone. The money you'll save there will more than cover parking fees and car rentals.

If staying off-site, consider one or a few members of your group to get APs that will give you free parking at the parks and give everyone PhotoPass.

Also consider going two years in a row, but at 11 months apart. That way an Annual Pass will pay for both years in a row.

Hope you find a solution amenable to your group!
I think we’re gonna start to see a lot of this...not just Chelsea’s case.

The reality that we are in for a prolonged economic downturn - no matter the results of the election/junta - that is not going to be avoided. The economic realities are there.

So people will - based on past experience - expect Disney to incentivize to “meet the customers in the middle”. That may still happen...but none of their moves since the housing crash have pointed to that. Bob reshaped his reality (credit to him).

I pleaded (as much as you can) on forums for people to not accept every pricing move with self justification. But it happened. There are easy examples to use where we actually reward them for bad planning/management. A lot actually.

But here we are...

macefamily

Yes. It's going to be rough. There was talk of charging for Fastpass before the pandemic, and now that seems like it will be a given. I suspect that parking will hit the $30 mark by the time this situation ends. I also think that the ticket pricing and options like the Hopper will carry a higher price tag too. I expect food and drink prices will also experience a modest bump.

Disstevefan1

The numbers are astronomical. Wow, a 21 day vacation? I will live my whole life and die never taking a 21 day vacation. As a local that (had) a AP, I did not visit the park 21 days a year.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
That's always been the model. Introduce a fee (regardless of how nominal) and evolve it. Happens with everything Disney. Regardless of whether or not the item or service actually stays on par or decreases in cost to Disney.

What sums it up for me is the beer analogy. An item that has pennies on cost.

$8 for a 16oz beer at EPCOT not too far back. They then reduced to 12oz and lowered the cost to $6.50 for a brief period. The cost has risen gradually so that now you are buying the 12oz for the same $8 you could get a 16oz previously.

So whereas if your pattern was 3- 16oz beers while walking around WS you'd spend $24. Now to get the same equivalent of beer for that journey you're spending $32. Sneaky Disney.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
If you don't find the value anymore then simply find a new destination.
As for free dining they have had it since what 2005 and had it for 2020 as well but due to the pandemic had to cancel the dining plan all together.
Its a huge draw so I see no reason for them to not resume having this special offer when things settle down.
And resort parking? Hey maybe they will not exactly get rid of it but make it part of a special offer to make guests feel like they are getting even more of a deal to draw them back to staying onsite.
I do think that "life time" refillable mugs should have somehow been grandfathered in. However you can use your new refillable mug at any resort not just your own.

Last edited:

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No

If you are flying then I certainly would not rent 3 cars.
If you want to go off property to a store or say another theme park then book a shuttle or take uber/lyft.
You also have to consider that 14 people is a lot.
Are YOU paying for EVERYONE?
If there are multiple family households with incomes then you should each be figuring out your own costs relative to your own trip not lumping it together. Of course its a lot of money all together but when you break it down by family its probably pretty average especially for that many days.
The AVERAGE person does NOT go for THAT long. Most go for maybe 1/3 of that amount of time so it would cost most people 1/3 of that price.
My guess is thought that you are coming from the UK? In which case I've seen the deals Disney gives you and let me tell you they are better than what those traveling within the country get.

Last edited:

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Judging by the resort choices you choose... sounds like you can save a crap ton of money just by downgrading a hotel class or two.

If Disney’s overpriced resorts are too much for ya, then just stay offsite.

OP did sneak All Star Music in there as well.
But yeah when I went with multiple households a few years ago we had 14 people and we rented a house in the Davenport/Clermont area and split it and it was a fraction of the cost of staying at a Disney resort.
I prefer staying onsite but for this trip it was easier.
And staying offsite would also justify renting cars (although then your paying daily fees for park parking).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom