Red Sox official makes "exploratory" visit to Disney sports complex

CapnStinxy

Original Poster
The link:
http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080730/SPORTS/80730081/1075

The quote:
A Boston Red Sox official made a recent exploratory visit to Disney’s Wide World of Sports Complex in Lake Buena Vista.

Red Sox Chief Operating Officer Mike Dee recently toured the complex with Ken Potrock, senior vice president of Disney Sports Enterprises.
The gist:
Buy your Red Sox 2010 spring training tickets now. This is going to happen. Because Ft. Myers and Lee County are run by idiots, they left the Red Sox a buyout clause in the agreement for City of Palms Park which lets them get out of the last 10 years of the agreement for $1 million. John Henry probably has that in loose change in the cushions of his couch.

The Red Sox have been grumbling about their spring training setup for years, because they (gasp) have to travel four miles between their practice fields and the stadium. That, and Ft. Myers is a dump with nothing resembling a quality hotel.

Sarasota tried hard to steal them away with a $70 million package, but couldn't fit all the pieces together. WDW probably has that much in petty cash. Lee County is broke, and only going to get moreso, so the moving vans should be arriving any day now. I doubt any other municipal entity in Florida can handle the BOHICA treatment, either.

hrcollectibles

The link:
http://www.news-press.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080730/SPORTS/80730081/1075

The quote:
The gist:
Buy your Red Sox 2010 spring training tickets now. This is going to happen. Because Ft. Myers and Lee County are run by idiots, they left the Red Sox a buyout clause in the agreement for City of Palms Park which lets them get out of the last 10 years of the agreement for $1 million. John Henry probably has that in loose change in the cushions of his couch.

The Red Sox have been grumbling about their spring training setup for years, because they (gasp) have to travel four miles between their practice fields and the stadium. That, and Ft. Myers is a dump with nothing resembling a quality hotel.

Sarasota tried hard to steal them away with a $70 million package, but couldn't fit all the pieces together. WDW probably has that much in petty cash. Lee County is broke, and only going to get moreso, so the moving vans should be arriving any day now. I doubt any other municipal entity in Florida can handle the BOHICA treatment, either.

I normally do not take offense to much posted on message boards. But your statement calling Fort myers a dump is out of line. I have lived here my entire life and do not consider it a dump. Sure we may not have 5 star resorts but it is a very nice place to live and work.

Rob562

As a Red Sox fan I think Spring Training at WDW would be very cool, but there are other possibilities, too... Perhaps they're looking into a few Spring Training exhibition games there?

Or, maybe he just wanted to see the facility that the Braves train at because he was already in WDW...

-Rob

davidpw97

That would be pretty sweet if the Red Sox moved camp to Disney. As someone who comes from a family of Bostonians who now live in Atlanta, having my 2 favorite teams in one spot would be great.

It is not unheard of for teams to share facilities. The Reds and Indians will be sharing a spring training home in a couple years when the Reds move from FL to AZ. Also the Cardinals and Marlins share stadiums in Florida.

flscooman

The Braves had a 10 year exclusive. Disney has been interested in getting a second team for a while now. Need a few more practice fields and a second clubhouse and they would be ready to go.

lnsemsf

I grew up the son of a Sox fan, and I was happy to see them win in 04 and 07. Now I've got a TEAM to believe in, not a group of overpayed people who perform a sport together as their job. Get out of Florida all Boston players and fans, this is OUR state YOU ARE NO LONGER WELCOME! LETS GO RAYS!!!!!

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I grew up the son of a Sox fan, and I was happy to see them win in 04 and 07. Now I've got a TEAM to believe in, not a group of overpayed people who perform a sport together as their job. Get out of Florida all Boston players and fans, this is OUR state YOU ARE NO LONGER WELCOME! LETS GO RAYS!!!!!

I can kinda see where you're coming from, but teams only have two states to choose from for spring training. Both states have a large retiree population so you are always going to have a wide arrary of sports loyalties. Not a lot you can do about it. Maybe you should just be happy as you (by you I mean the state of Florida as a whole since you identify so strongly with this granfalloon) take their money and wish their team ill. Also, how can you dump the Sox so easily? I formed my sports loyalties in my youth and there is no way I can bring myself to root against the Cubs. I've tried switching teams and it just doesn't work for me.

pacochran

This would be really nice. My son would be thrilled. I think we'd have to change our December Vacation to one during spring training, so we could do both.

Daddymouse

This will only take place if Manny R. is not with Boston. He could make rude people seem more tolerable. (That being said he is a freak with a bat in his hand)

sknydave

So the Rays don't get paid a ton of money to play a sport as their job?

WDWFREAK53

So, basically because the team is winning...you have a reason to be a fan??? :rolleyes:

If they fall off the winning wagon and don't make the playoffs...I guess you're a Sox fan again.

sknydave

Yes, exactly.

And while we're on the topic... The players are paid a ton of money because they generate an even larger ton of money for the team owners.

whitemule28

Being a Bostonian who has spent 4 years of college baseball spring training in Fort Myers, and 6 more vacationing in Bonita Springs, I can say that even though it's disappointing that I won't be able to shoot over to a Sox game, I completely see why the Sox left, and realize that it is definitely in their best interest...Yes, Ft. Myers is a dump. I don't think there is another town in America that frequents "COPS" more often...Disney is a definite upgrade if it happens, and I hope it does because it will give me another reason to go.

WDWFREAK53

compared to other teams in MLB, no. lowest payroll in baseball.
compared to me....:veryconfu

If you get paid $1.00 to play...you're getting paid. It doesn't matter if you're getting paid $10,000 or $100,000,000. You aren't playing purely for the sport...you're playing to pay the bills. The amount of money you bring in is a ratio of the amount of money you bring to the owners (or at least, they HOPE you'll bring in).

The amount of money in a payroll means nothing when you're talking about how teams perform together on the field.

If you want to talk about payrolls in the sense that teams "buy championships" then fine. Yes, they do (to some degree)...coming from Boston, we definitely understand this considering we were always up against the Yankees. Boston, I believe, has the second highest payroll... Why do we have this? The same reason the Yankees do. Baseball brings in a TON of money for the city and owners. If baseball is doing nothing to the economy of a city and ownership, they aren't going to gamble on spending a ton of money to get big-name players that may not do anything to stimulate the cash flow.

Look at Boston...it's a HUGE sports city. Baseball, Football, and Basketball are huge here...Hockey isn't as big but still puts the butts in the seats. Do you think we would have a huge payroll for the Red Sox if nobody cared about baseball here?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom