Red Bean ice cream ???

Erika

I've seen it at a few restaurants but I'm always too full to order dessert! It's made with adzuki beans but I have no idea what it tastes like.

Upvote 0

OrlandoBoy

Azuki is sweet bean. They're really big on sweet bean in Japan. I think the word Azuki is actually Japanese. Sometimes, the curd consistency can look like chocolate and is quite deceiving. It doesn't taste bad. . .is definitely an aquired taste. Give it a try!

Upvote 0

shmmrname

Thanks.
We don't really have any inkling to eat at Nine Dragons, so I was just wondering if it was like Mexico or Morocco, in that some things are available outside of the actual sit-down restaurants.

Upvote 0

octoberbarry

Azuki (sometimes spelled 'Adzuki', as it is a westernization of a Japanese word, which as you probably know is actually written in an entirely different set of characters than we use) beans are small red beans which are commonly used in some Asian cuisines. In the west, you see them mainly in health food stores and macrobiotic diets. Hence, you're not likely to see them used in restaurants in Disney World outside of China and maybe Japan in Epcot, unless one of the chefs in the fancy places picks up on them as a cool ingredient to use in something...Or unless they decide to open a 'health food' restaurant in the AK :p
But, as one who does use them from time to time in cooking at home, I can tell you that they are yummy in stews...add a certain sweetness that other red beans, like kidney beans, are missing. :slurp: And, because they're little, they cook FAST.

Upvote 0

kellydisney

It tastes sweet like vanilla with little crunchy chunks of red beans. The beans don't really have a taste unless you suck on them and then you can tell they're a bean. In general they are like an added tasteless crunchy that you'd have in any old ice cream. I liked it way better than the ginger, which my fiance got, and he loved more than the red bean. It's all a matter of preference! You can get it at both Nine Dragons (which is the Chinese sit down restaurant in the China Pavilion) or the Lotus Blossom Cafe (the quick service food in the China Pavilion). It's a very small scoop but the perfect size once you're done with your main course.

Upvote 0

Foolish Mortal

Original Poster
Thanks for the info and opinions everyone :wave: I'll be giving it a shot !

Erika, i'm also not a dessert person but siiiiiiince it's included in the meal plan....:slurp:

Upvote 0

Erika

Foolish Mortal said:
Thanks for the info and opinions everyone :wave: I'll be giving it a shot !

Erika, i'm also not a dessert person but siiiiiiince it's included in the meal plan....:slurp:

Oh, make no mistake, I am TOTALLY a dessert person! It's just that I make such a pig of myself with such a lack of restraint during the main course that I normally don't have any more room in there :eek:

Upvote 0

AshAlytwins

I wasn't sure what was in it either until reading about it here....you should try the Nine Dragons....we always go there..it is the best we have had at Epcot....and the 2 flavors of Icecream are excellent!!! Has anyone eaten at the Italy restuarant??

Upvote 0

DisneyBunny

I really wanted to try it when we went in September. Unfortunatly, our server just gave us little cakes instead of letting us order off the menu with our dining plan. It might have been our server, but the ice cream wasn't included with our DP. :cry: I was bummed, after trying, and really liking, the green tea ice cream in Japan, I wanted to give the red bean cream a try. For a full review you can read my trip report. It's a good read! I promise!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom